Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I kind of haven't been active anymore. Used to be down at the thread with HyperSLI and all that stuff, but I moved on and actually bought myself an SLI Board to save myself the headache. ANYWAY! I'm here today asking for help in a field that I'm not too familiar with. Title says it all. I tried overclocking a Phenom II x4 (945) before to some extent, but didn't push it too far. For my FX processor, I followed a youtube guide on how to get it up to 4.3 GHz from the standard 3.5GHz (4.2 turbo). Surprisingly enough, I actually had to set the voltage lower than its stock voltage. Here are some screens of my BIOS and their settings and whatnot. I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. I tested prime on my rig for 5 minutes and no errors whatsoever, temps steady at 48 with my Thermaltake SpinQ VT cooler. The weird thing is, CPUz read only 1.356V but I set the CPU to 1.4V flat. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Also, in the picture with my voltages, the number next to CPU Vcore that reads 1.33333V is incorrect. I set it to 1.4V and the original setting was at 1.415 I believe.

My ultimate goal is to set it running at 4.5GHz. I tried doing so, and I raised the voltage up until 1.425 in the BIOS, but not stable at ALL. Almost worse than at 1.40V. Don't know if I need more voltage or if I need less voltage, but any input is welcome.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Your processor probably is binned low, so you probably won't get much further while keeping the voltages low. I would advise that you keep the voltage between 1.45V and 1.48V for everyday usage. Anything above 1.5V severely shortens the life of the processor.
As for your voltage setting issues, it's what is known as VDroop (the voltage setting is higher than the actual voltage). This is normal, and is explained much better here: http://www.overclock.net/t/197804/what-is-vdroop/0_20#post_10334580

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
"The weird thing is, CPUz read only 1.356V but I set the CPU to 1.4V flat."

This is vdroop, you can use LLC (Load Line Calibration) to offset that drop of voltage under heavy load, or simply leave it as is and use higher base voltage (though as f0rte said, I wouldn't go much over 1.45 base). 1.4volts under full stress test load will generate quite a bit of heat, but your cooling might be up to it, and might be enough to get it 4.5ghz stable (maybe a bit more or less; no guarantees! The board also might have issues supplying the voltage stable if you had problems with more volts already. anyway try LLC.).

But be careful with turning on LLC, some boards/LLC levels add way more voltage than is needed to offset the drop under load. So figure out how much it adds during prime95 first, then apply higher clocks/volts. Also if you don't have an LLC setting then that'd be a bit inconvenient, since you'd have to run 1.45v during normal low gaming loads, just to get ~1.4v during prime testing. (edit: Just looked at the later screenshots and you do have the setting in Advanced Voltage Settings on the bottom, yay!)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so say I want to push for 4.5 now. What voltages should I mess around with? Can I keep the NB Core voltage the same and just work with Vcore and Ratio? Do I have to use the LLC? And how much should I add now at first?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a link to a youtube video I just uploaded of what it does when I run Prime95. Based on this video and on the provided screenshots, what should I change in order to try and aim for 4.5GHz? I'm really curious about that LLC thingy. Should I decrease the percentage, increase? Should I even bother with the Vcore or the NB voltage? Should I just increase Clock ratio and adjust the LLC?

http://youtu.be/9hoBDykhQRs

P.S. I was trying to view the video on VLC media player and it would crash lol. Probably seeing some slight instability, but Prime runs fine at 4.3GHz and so do my games.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You want to increase LLC, to the point where there's +-0 deviation of vcore from the bios vcore, under full load. How much that is, depend on the board. Gotta try and see how much it needs! If you put in too much, it will give MORE voltage under heavy load, than is set in bios, just keep that in mind and work your way up.

Edit: also there's probably no need to mess with the NB voltage or anything like that, if you're just increasing cpu multi. Going up with cpu multi to overclock only needs more cpu vcore/LLC.

edit: also prime Small FFTs are a bit better from my experience to spot cpu instability faster.

edit: also looking at your board, you probably want to get some mosfet heatsinks before going for 4.5ghz. They could explode. (edit: though they would probably throttle first in some fashion because gigabyte isn't bad. But you want some heatsinks on that 4+1 phase VRM design.)

edit: have a picture:
edit: if you wonder why, then here's why: these thingies turn the 12v from your power supply into 1.3v-1.4v the cpu wants. It's a pretty important task that generates more heat the more power goes through em c;

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just keep at it and do more searching, reading, learning and then experimenting with settings. You can probably get your chip to 4.8/4.9 if you have a good cooler. I have a cheap build using a mATX board and have my 6300 at 4.7ghz

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My question is, the LLC % from the pictures I provided... do I set the % higher to get more voltage during load? Or lower to get more voltage during load? Also, that's the wrong motherboard LOL Here's a picture of my real deal:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hey that's a lot better of a mobo! Nice.

And yes you set the LLC higher to get more voltage under load.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so here's what I've come to so far... I reached somewhat stable Prime95 runs. Ran the Basic test and the FFT's. I'm stable at 4.5GHz now. But we have problems... My CPU capped at 55 degrees. Here's a screenshot. I set the VCore to 1.375 in the BIOS and the LLC to Extreme mode. The CPU, under load, sees numbers between 1.416V and 1.452V. The big question is this: what's better? Higher LLC and lower Vcore, or higher Vcore and lower LLC? Also, should I enable the HDC in the BIOS? I can try and fix the temperature issue by plugging one of my exhaust fans into the PSU (not the mobo) so that it runs at max speed at all times. It's right next to the cooler, so it should work a little. Another thing, as you can see, my CPU Fan speed caps at like 1400 RPM. I know it can go up to 1700 RPM, but I don't know how to make a custom fan speed curve for the CPU like you can for the GPU using PrecisionX. If I can set a custom fan speed CURVE, I can have the CPU max out its fan speed when reaching higher temps so then I'll basically be set.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I updated my motherboard on my rig builder. I also connected my exhaust fan right to the PSU so it spins at max speed at all times and I shaved off 5 degrees
biggrin.gif
But if I can actually lower some voltages, that'd be great, or at least be able to set a curve for the fan speed of my CPU, cause my exhaust fan is kinda loud lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so I DID find a CPU fan curve from my motherboard. Now I'm making good use of the rest of the RPM that my CPU cooler can do, but I messed around with the OC again and basically started from scratch with optimized defaults, and let's just say I went through hell and back. Now I'm finally back at 4.5GHz but temps are stuck at 52. I'm running LLC at Etreme settings and the Vcore I set to 1.36875 or something of the sort. My CPU-Z is currently recording Voltages between 1.416 and 1.428. No crashes as of yet or hardware failures for the past 10 minutes. Gonna let it run for 5 or 10 minutes more. I will try and slowly bring down the Vcore. If that doesn't work, I'll bring down the NB Core (which I set to 1.2315 based on that FX OC youtube video I saw). I think the NB Core apartains to the CPU. So I'm thinking that if I can lower that successfully, it might impact my CPU temperatures in a good way.

UPDATE: ya, it seems like I can't go lower than 1.36875 in the Vcore, otherwise a worker will stop. I'm basically stable with the voltage and LLC on extreme, running 4.5GHz and CPUz reporting voltages of 1.416 steady or 1.428. Max achieved temps are 52 Celsius.

The question is the following: should I keep it like this? should I revert back down to 4.3 for the sake of the CPU? It would lower my temps down to 49 or so. Or should I just forget about OC-ing? OR should I buy the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and have at it? lol It was nice having the 4.5 speeds in MMORPG environment. Definitely an improvement over the stock speeds. The thing is, using CPUz, I never saw the CPU clock to its turbo capacity of 4.1. It just stayed at 3.8. Maybe I should manually OC it to 4.1 and call it quits?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have also never seen my FX go to the high turbo, so I ended up not using turbo much. The cpu is fine till 62 degrees, even 70 going by AMD Overdrive's thermal magin. So your temps are looking good to me as is!

edit: getting a Hyper Evo would probably be more quiet, I like how quiet my aftermarket cooler is.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can understand 60 degrees, but 70 seems to be pushing it. I mean, so many guides out there say that the safe margin on AMD is 60. Above that, you may as well put your head between your legs and kiss your AMD goodbye LOL. If general opinion on this forum post is that it's fine how it is, then I'll keep it like this. I'm actually very happy with the results myself, other than the temperature which I am not used to. And then there's rich people who use liquid cooling.... *sigh*

Input from everyone else, please.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'd stay under 60 for gaming for sure! I see people run stress tests in the 60s every now and then, though. Not the end of the world. I wouldn't recommend that either, better got a safety margin. On the other side of things, intel people will tell you 85c is fine, under 75 is great! so hmm. Of course they are different chips but physics would still apply in a similar fashion, to some extent.

edit: also you could post in the FX 8320/8350 thread if you want to get some more opinions on temps. It's pretty active and those 8 cores naturally get more hot. (AMD CPUs subforum)

·
Registered
166 Posts
60c is considered safe peak/limit. Stress temps are almost always higher than realworld use, unless you have software/games that are extreme. If you video card dumps heat inside your case , gaming can actually have higher temps then stress testing. This can be fixed with different card or stronger case ventilation. Also your system may run hotter/cold due to the seasonal changes in your room's ambient temps.

AMD FX chips will safely handle peak of 60c for 24/7 use. It's when you are at 5ghz 1.5v and 70c for 24/7 month long run and the chip begins to degrade. Read the link above and read AMD FX performance tuning (It's a real pdf by AMD). Both do well to explain complete system overclocking and what goals you can expect to achieve.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, thanks everyone for your input and your help! This case is officially closed until further notice!

Review for other people seeking help and looking only at last page:

So I was trying to Overclock my AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1 Turbo) up to 4.5GHz on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. I was able to achieve my clock speeds by setting the Vcore to 1.36875 in the BIOS, along with LLC to Extreme. CPUz reads voltages of 1.404 - 1.416 during Prime95 stress testing. Maximum temperature reached was 53 degrees Celsius on a Thermaltake SpinQ VT cooler.

Thanks again to all, now time to go in the SLI section and start asking for help there on another issue ^_^

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE: Oh boy, this is the 2nd time my graphics driver stops responding and just got recovered. Could it be because my OC isn't stable?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts