Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can OC make vista ultimate make the blue screen appear? if i OC my unit, i always get random blue screen in vista, but if it runs on stock settings, no bluee screen

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Yes, an unstable proc will crash any OS.

Even Linux.

Windows uses the BSOD, OSX doesn't apply as you can't overclock a mac and Linux has Kernel Panic, if my memory is correct.

Popular spots for mine to bluescreen when unstable: Halfway through loading, when it flashes from loading screen to the Vista logo, and when it flashes between login and desktop.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by johonm333
View Post

It has nothing to do with Windows.

Exactly. You'd have the same instability regardless of what operating system you were running.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
If you could overclock a Mac, or more realistically, if you had a Hackintosh(That is, OSX running on a PC's hardware), then even it can crash with a too-high overclock. I don't know exactly what it is called, tho, but OSX would also do so if it were on an unstable processor.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the blue screen appears at random, in the middle of a game, or doing photoshop, office...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

Yes, an unstable proc will crash any OS.

Even Linux.

Windows uses the BSOD, OSX doesn't apply as you can't overclock a mac and Linux has Kernel Panic, if my memory is correct.

Popular spots for mine to bluescreen when unstable: Halfway through loading, when it flashes from loading screen to the Vista logo, and when it flashes between login and desktop.

OSX has kernel panic.

Oh, OSX on a PC.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricM9104
View Post

OSX has kernel panic.

Oh, OSX on a PC.

...lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

If you could overclock a Mac, or more realistically, if you had a Hackintosh(That is, OSX running on a PC's hardware), then even it can crash with a too-high overclock. I don't know exactly what it is called, tho, but OSX would also do so if it were on an unstable processor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts