Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
you got a powerfull motherboard i don't know why you have those problems you should get some biger score in 3dmark 06........and you should be able to overclock the cpu to 4.0 ghz

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
try to put the pic express freq to 100 mhz and try to overvoltage your cpu from stock to 1.3.9 or 1.4 and try to raise the cpu freq step by step and test the stability with orthos or prime or occt

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzye
View Post

you got a powerfull motherboard i don't know why you have those problems you should get some biger score in 3dmark 06........and you should be able to overclock the cpu to 4.0 ghz

Each chip is different; there is no way of telling what the maximum overclock will be.

The score in 3dmark 06, have you made sure that there are no process running in the background taking the cycles away from the bench?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
yea and you should check if you have latest drivers for your video card and when you run the 3dmark 06 test try to stop every program running in the background and try to run the test you will have a much biger score and try to check your video card drivers

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Well, you should leave your RAM timings/speed/voltage at default to find your highest stable cpu overclock, so you might want to put RAM at default settings (if they're not already). Raising your cpu voltage may get you a higher overclock, if you can handle the increased heat. Also, I don't have that board, but that chipset doesn't like 4 sticks of RAM. You may need to raise northbridge (SPP) volts, or remove a couple of sticks, to get higher cpu clocks.

But more importantly - and this isn't really related to your overclock, but...are you really running an ATI X800 Pro? Isn't that card around 5 years old? I don't mean to rag on you about it...but that's probably what's holding your 3dMark06 score back. You can get a perfectly good card for ~$100 these days (I'm thinking of the nvidia 8800GT, rebranded as the 9800GT; I'm sure other people can recommend cheap, effective upgrades for you).

So my impression is that you may get higher clocks if you set your RAM at default (assuming that you've overclocked/overvolted it) and/or raise your cpu volts and/or northbridge volts (or remove a couple of RAM sticks), but that your 3dMarks issue is related to your graphics card, not your cpu.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
the reason you have such a low score is because your computer is in Bottleneck your video card is pulling your rams down your cpu down everything in you pc you should buy a new video card like 8800 GT when you overclock try to put everything to default overclock the cpu see how much is going without overvoltage and rams timings when you get the max cpu freq at overclock try to raise the voltage of the cpu and when you get at 1.4 cpu voltage and you have temps like 50 60 degreeze in full load then try to put your rams timmings and try to overclock a little bit more you check your stability and your done like 4 or 5 hours it's enough to see if it's stable

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello boys,
thanks for the info you gave me!
today i just played a little with my OC and saw something strange on HW monitor.
i set my Vcore at 1,45V to achieve 9X377
HW monitor showed me that my +3.3V is only 2.93V, is that normal?
and my Vcore showed 1.42(idle) and 1.38(100%load), since i had it set from bios to 1,45V
what is my problem?

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brogdan View Post
OHH and one more thing
you told me to incease the voltage on the northbridge...at what value? it was set to auto, and also have 1.55v, 1.65v, and 1.75v...
is it risky to set it at 1.75? with MB temp at 45C under load?
Don't set the NB higher then 1.45v, it's not needed at your FSB. 1.75v is way too high and is only for extreme overclocking.

The reason you have a low score is because of the X800.

You should up the memory speed from 1:1 to 5:6 or something, right now its running 754mhz but you posted you have 1100mhz sticks. If you set the DRAM speed manually, just select the next step up from the drop down menu. You may have to change the timings to 5-5-5-15 and set the DRAM voltage to 2.15v.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Ahh the P5W-DH, I loved that mobo.

9 X 377 is an excellent overclock for a quadcore on the P5W. It's using the old 975x express chipset which absolutely hates quadcores when pushing the FSB. Most people hit a wll between 333 & 345 with a quad.

On air, I'd keep the NB voltage to 1.65. I only ever used 1.75 when pushing the fsb on a core 2 duo to 400. 1.85 I wouldn't touch without water cooling or a very good HS on the northbridge.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok that's with my video card..it's bad
but i only use my PC for programing and calculations(matlab) so i am not really interested in video performance. just the power to calculate!

BUT what do you think about this problem:

today i just played a little with my OC and saw something strange on HW monitor.
and my Vcore showed 1.42(idle) and 1.38(100%load), since i had it set from bios to 1,45V
what is my problem?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Vcore will move a bit under a load, that's called vdroop. Enabling LLC can help counter that, but some have reported that on some boards they go a bit crazy and actually end up increasing voltage.

2.93 sounds a bit low, but you should be able to look up the ATX spec for allowable range.

Don't bother with 3d mark and such as that will have no real bearing on how well the computer will perform for your usage.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The lower vcore reading is normal. That's "vdroop".

Seeing as how you don't really need high performance, you don't have your northbridge voltage any higher than 1.4, do you?

·
PC Evangelist
47,733 Posts
Run 3dmark06 with everything stock and see what you get.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:

ok that's with my video card..it's bad
but i only use my PC for programing and calculations(matlab) so i am not really interested in video performance. just the power to calculate!

BUT what do you think about this problem:

what is my problem?
That would be vdroop, you can read up about it here: http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=126

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here are the max settings that i tryed and stil no luck. after 15-20 min with prime 95 my pc reboots.
377X9=3,39ghz
Vcore=1.45v
4X1GB ocz 8800 @ 754 -> 2.25v
4-4-4-10-4
PCIexpres frecv 100
Northbridge volt. 1.65v
i could not find the LLC optin in my bios.
what can i do so i can get a stable run on prime95?
thank you

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:

here are the max settings that i tryed and stil no luck. after 15-20 min with prime 95 my pc reboots.
377X9=3,39ghz
Vcore=1.45v
4X1GB ocz 8800 @ 754 -> 2.25v
4-4-4-10-4
PCIexpres frecv 100
Northbridge volt. 1.65v
i could not find the LLC optin in my bios.
what can i do so i can get a stable run on prime95?
thank you
It usually reboots when the temperatures are away too high. I suggest to set the CPU voltage 1.35-1.40V, cause of overheating problems. 1.65V for northbridge is too much, leave it around 1.30V (should be enough). DRAM timings back to 5-5-5-15-2T (or the default). I believe it is your motherboard, which is overheating, because of the too high voltage for NB.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biatch View Post
It usually reboots when the temperatures are away too high. I suggest to set the CPU voltage 1.35-1.40V, cause of overheating problems. 1.65V for northbridge is too much, leave it around 1.30V (should be enough). DRAM timings back to 5-5-5-15-2T (or the default). I believe it is your motherboard, which is overheating, because of the too high voltage for NB.
nope...there is no overheating. cpu temp is 58C and MB 44C, this is at full load
prime95 finishes the first set of 8 tests(1024) and when it passes to the next set it reboots.
i have put the nothbridge to auto, but the dram settings are ok, because i tested with default settings(auto) and my pc reboots even faster when i run prime95.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts