Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I just dont really understand the whole voltage concept with overclocking. I have a 3200+ and got it from 2.0 to 2.7 once, but i forgot the voltage i set the cpu and ram at since it was a long time ago. I don't really get the voltage % thing. Is there some sort of proportion that the cpu speed, voltage, and the % relate that i should know about?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
There is no set proportion, it's a "tweak as necessary" approach.

The % increase can be simplified by taking it from a percentage to a number. 1.4V + 105% is the same as 1.4 * 1.05 = 1.47V.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
The voltage going to your CPU and RAM should be found in the BIOS. Think of the voltage to a CPU as blood pressure to your heart. When you exercise, the harder you exercise, the higher your BP goes up to supply more blood to your muscles. Likewise, when you OC, you need to supply a higher voltage to the CPU or RAM for it to work faster. There is no proportion, just continue to OC until the system becomes unstable and then up the voltage a bit more.

• Rep+
Reactions: .critikal

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do you know if its unstable? does it just shut off or is there some other way to know how stable it is?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx alot for the help, but if u were gonna get my 2.0 to a 2.7 like i did a while back, what do you think that the voltage and voltage % would be?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts