thermaltake big typhoon cpu cooler
wd 74gig 10k rpm hd

i have it oc'd to almost 2.6g this is what i did:
234fsb x 11 multiplier
cpu volts to 1.45
nb volts to 1.6
the ram v 2.8
but the ram timing on auto
i tried some settings but had no success, and i noticed that when people say "timing at 2-2-2-8" and so on i have like 10 settings and i only see 4 there what ones are those???? and my main questions what can i set mine to??? its ok now but i would like better speeds from it, what do you suggests for me???

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
dont touch the voltages unless you run into stability, you dont need to increase the voltage if you increase the speed.

you should try

255 x 11
HTT x 4
vcore 1.5-1.55
Divider 166
Timings 2.5-3-3-7 1T
vdimm 2.7v

If you dont understand what I wrote, then you aren't ready to overclock. And would probably damage something before gaining anything. There are multiple overclocking guides on the web, I suggest you read them before doing anything.
These settings I just mentioned are "basic"..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just tried this:
245x11
httx4
vcore 1.45
i have no divider
ram volts 2.75
and i set the ram from the ddr400 to the ddr333 and left the settings on auto witch were: 2.5-3-6-8-11-16 according to cpu-z
and i am running 2.7ghz on air!
i am watching temps now, do you still suggest those ram timings? thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
yes, i suggest changing your times to 2.5-3-3-7-11-16 with 2.7v.
Nice job on the clocks. You do have a divider its your DDR333 speed which is also referred to 166 or 333 dividers.
If you try for more, just keep increasing your FSB, and when you get to instability, it's most likely your HTT multi that needs to change to x3, or it's your vcore. Most likely your vcore.
Increase vcore when it's unstable to around 1.475...then increase FSB, then increase vcore to 1.5...
It's a steady ongoing process.
Once again, good job, I wasn't sure if you understood anything I was talking about

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You probably will want to put it on a bigger divider like 133 if you plan on going higher, cause the value ram won't like it much. I know my corsair value ram is pitiful when it comes to overclocking, but what can you expect from value ram?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i really appreciate the help. i am hitting no more than 50c so far under a load on the cpu. i should stop here huh???
A

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one more thing, i dont really want to lower my htt its at 245x4=960. if i raise my fsb to hit 2.8ghz i have to go to 255x11 for the cpu to hit 2805 so then i will have to lower the multiplier to 3 only giving my htt to 765?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
you dont have to change your HTT, only change it if your system doesn't boot. My board will go over 1100 HTT speed. It doesn't do anything for performance, it just needs to be set in a range for the computer to boot.
Those temps are fine for your setup. 50c isn't that bad, but about the limit for your Daily clocks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i hit 3.0ghz!!! idle i am around 34-36 and the same while online. playing fear i hit 53-54max that was it. i am going to stop here. thats a good overclock if i say so myself thanks for the help. those temps should be fine right?????

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bad news. something fried i am not sure what. now the bios is all messed up, nothing saves. if i go in it, if it even lets me it will show all default, but then it goes real slow. according to cpu-z its running at 900mhz the multilpier auotmatically drops to x5. if i restart it wont do anything i have to clear the cmos to get in and it still gives me a hard time. any ideas what is gone bad? the nb chipset was hot, even to the touch. did i fry the mobo?
also the guru voltage and temp monitors do not read either, only the fan speed it reading.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
weird, ouch, and woops.....the combination of feelings I bet you experienced.
umm.....If you have an AMD driver installed, uninstall it.
Make sure your bios is flashed to the most current one, and make sure you have Cool n Quiet disabled in the bios.
You very well could have fried something if you weren't watching your temps...maybe your chipset got too hot.
Overnight, take your cmos battery out, when you wake up, put it back in and hope for the best.....give it a night to rest and your emotions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea this svcks soooooooooooo bad. the nb chipset wasnt on the guru temp monitor, so i couldnt watch it. i been monitoring the temps like crazy, almost non stop. i am guessing the mobo is gone, witch is bad cause i spent all my money to build this. i dunno. thanks for the help btw. i will keep you posted.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
after a long fustrating night, its up and running at 2.7ghz . i think i will stay there or maybe even 2.8ghz and thats it. i think i overheated the nb chipset, it was hot to the touch. on my mobo the vid card covers it! so i hung a fan and pointed it at it, so we will see how it goes. thanks

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
is it a passive cooler, or does it have a fan? You might want to consider cleaning up the wires in your case for better airflow, or add some more fans.
At least you figured out that it was probably the chipset that was getting too hot..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it has a passive cooler, but it dont seem to do much. i hung a fan in there and aimed it at it so hopefully that helps. its has freezed a few timed today, so i guess 2.7 was unstable witch is wierd. so now its at 2.58ghz and we will see what happends. one more thing when i do pc wizard it say hyper transport = NO? whys that?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DREWK281

it say hyper transport = NO? whys that?

Only thing I can think of is that It's looking for the hyperthreading or whatever it's called with Intel chips.
And of course your chip doesn't have that since it's AMD.

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
hypertransport is an AMD only thing totally different from hyperthreading probably something wrong with the program just not detecting it a bug of sorts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.