Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I have a Gigabyte GT 730 and I recently overclocked it so that I can play heavier games. I set the Core Clock at 870MHz and the memory clock at 980MHz. So even though these settings get the job done and give me approximately 150 FPS in League of Legends, after a few hours the FPS drops to 30-40 making the game unplayable. Basically the oc settings stop working :p. I tried opening the MSI Afterburner and reapplying the oc settings but nothing changes unless I restart my pc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a Gigabyte GT 730 and I recently overclocked it so that I can play heavier games. I set the Core Clock at 870MHz and the memory clock at 980MHz. So even though these settings get the job done and give me approximately 150 FPS in League of Legends, after a few hours the FPS drops to 30-40 making the game unplayable. Basically the oc settings stop working :p. I tried opening the MSI Afterburner and reapplying the oc settings but nothing changes unless I restart my pc. Any help would be much appreciated.
Overclock isnt stable lol. Lower the clock

·
Robotic Chemist
3,486 Posts
Or is it overheating?

150 dropping to 30-40 is more than the OC stopping. That is slower than stock should be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait a second, 1 post and in the folding section?

Welcome to the forum! :ROFLMAO:

These guys both have the potential problems nailed down. The card is going into a safe mode so to speak which a reboot resolves, or possibly reloading the driver. Also, I would turn up the fan to see if it lasts longer.
I will try turning up the fan and see if it lasts any longer. I didn't find any answer to my problem anywhere else so thank you for replying. I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Overclock isnt stable lol. Lower the clock
I have been trying that. It hasnt shown any artifacts in the heaven and kombustor benchmarks so I assumed it was good. It is my first time trying any kind of overclock so bear with me :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I turned the fan speed up to 70 but it keeps doing it. The temps are below 40 so that can't be the problem

Attachments

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
So I turned the fan speed up to 70 but it keeps doing it. The temps are below 40 so that can't be the problem
If it isn't temps its either hardware problems driver issue or unstable overclocks. Does it happen when running stock clocks? Try reinstalling the driver and a different version to rule out the driver. Run stock clocks and watch them to rule that out too

·
Premium Member
13,479 Posts
Yeah, what you may want to try if you haven't read anything or overclocked a GPU before is gradually increase the clock speed from stock and test, re-test.

But, then the real test is games. If it doesn't hold the clock, you'll need to back the clock down gradually until it stops. You do this for the core and memory separately until stable in all your games. 40C is great. Temps are not the issue.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Could be your memory or power delivery overheating. Take it apart and clean it, repaste, and replace the thermal pads.

• Rep+
Reactions: BWG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could be your memory or power delivery overheating. Take it apart and clean it, repaste, and replace the thermal pads.
unfortunately the gpu is not mine I have borrowed it and I don't want to risk taking it apart because I'm not very experienced in hardware

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, what you may want to try if you haven't read anything or overclocked a GPU before is gradually increase the clock speed from stock and test, re-test.

But, then the real test is games. If it doesn't hold the clock, you'll need to back the clock down gradually until it stops. You do this for the core and memory separately until stable in all your games. 40C is great. Temps are not the issue.
I did just that, I was gradually increasing clock speeds until I saw artifacts. After that I started lowering the clocks and Im still doing that after 1 day of trial and error. One thing I haven't pointed out is that, when not overclocked, the card isn't even running at 99 percent. It's running at 30-50%. Which is the main reason I overclocked it in the first place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the afterburner I see you are on old drivers. Get them updated and run stock clocks and I bet $1 your problem will be solved. You main problem is trying to make a low end card perform higher than it's capable of. Just my thoughts.
One thing I haven't pointed out is that, when not overclocked, the card isn't even running at 99 percent. It's running at 30-50%. Which is the main reason I overclocked it in the first place. Also the GT 730 doesn't work with drivers later than the 391.35.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it isn't temps its either hardware problems driver issue or unstable overclocks. Does it happen when running stock clocks? Try reinstalling the driver and a different version to rule out the driver. Run stock clocks and watch them to rule that out too
Sadly, the GT 730 doesn't work with drivers later than the 391.35.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts