Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my E7400 for around 2 years now I have always wanted to o/c and being only 3 months away from my planned upgrade I wanted to breathe some extra speed into it to go with an ATI HD6870 I just purchased. Mainly using it as an HTPC atm.

I am aiming for a stable o/c at between 3.1 - 3.2 if possible with the stock cooler will purchase a Xigmatek S1283 Dark Knight R3 1156/1366 next week though but if I can get the desired result with the stock cooler I will save the cooler for my new build.

Here is what I have done so far after reading through the forums and guides.

C1E Support - Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit - Disabled
CPU TM Function - Disabled
Execute-Disable Bit Compatibility - Enable ( does this need to be disabled )
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech - Disabled
Intel (R) C-STATE Tech - Disabled

AI o/c tuner - manual
FSB Freq. raised to 400
PCI-Express frequency - 100Mhz
CPU Voltage - raised to 1.3500V
FSB Strap to Northbridge - Auto
Ratio CMOS setting - 0.80
DRAM Frequency - DDR2 - 801
DRAM Timing control - Manual - automatically changed to 5-5-5-18 ( not to sure about this one )

After entering all this it booted into Windows fine so decided to run real temp then, Everest and then run a small FFT stress test the cpu temp increased quite considerably to over 90 degrees and then shut down completely which is obviously not a good sign although under the CPU-Z I did notice that I had raised the speed to 3.2 Ghz!

Nearly there but something is not right what do you guys suggest I need to do next?

Any help would be really appreciated as I am at the ends of my knowledge here

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well definitely do not use the stock cooler for trying to reach that OC. 1.35V should not be making 90+ temps and shutting your computer down. I suggest purchasing that Xigmatek cooler and then trying to OC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what voltage would be a more stable option have I missed anything else in terms of the bios?
I would really like top see what I could get with the stock cooler if possible & why was I getting such extreme temperatures?
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I have now taken the advice of getting an aftermarket cooler and installed an Coolermaster Hyper 212+ which has seen temps drop to 31 Degrees in idle which is really good and at only $33 now to see how it goes when o/c.

So what are the next steps I need to take?

Any help would be great thnx.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts