Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I was successfully able to OC the 4930K to 4.8 GHz with no problems, But I am hitting a wall reaching 5.0 GHz (at times) and beyond.

The main issue doesn't seem to be the BSOD's, so I'm guessing it's not the Vcore, which I cranked up to 1.650V for testing purposes.

After a few seconds (up to two minutes) the system just loses all power and reboots, even while booting or in idle. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Here's my BIOS setup:

I usually keep the Vcore to 1.500V.

Here's the Hardware: http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/6383229
-Rampage 4 Black Edition
-i7 4930K
-2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 CL10
-LD PC-V10 Phase Change cooling
-Enermax Platimax 1500W

Thanks in advance for any help!

·

13,020 Posts
In the 5th pic, set that 140% to 180% under the Cpu Current Capability setting. Should stop the rebooting problem.

What's your load temps btw? 1.5v could be too much even for your cooling.

Edit

I would guess 1.5v is more than acceptable, but I'd stay away from 1.65v though.

• Rep+
Reactions: Rayce185

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so I set the CPU Current Capability to 180%, which seems to have helped with the problem that the system randomly reboots. Thank you
smile.gif

Now I am able to reach 5.0 GHz, by either 50x100 or 40x125, but no further. everything is running fine with 1.500V with the current setup:

I have noticed that when I set the LLC to Extreme (Now at High) the system crashes as well, which makes me worry as it should normally help stabilize the system.

When setting the system higher (52x100 or 42x125) the system freezes when logging into windows, and weirdly only on that screen...

The last image shows the specs given to me within Windows. As you can see the Vcore is halved in CPU-Z and is completely wrong in RealTemp.

·

13,020 Posts
LLC to Extreme is really putting a hurt on the VRMs right above the cpu socket, so you need a water block or a fan there to help cool it down.

Also the back of the socket, behind the motherboard gets really hot too. If you can get a fan there, that would also help. Your system must scream at those speeds!
eek.gif

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the CPU has phase change cooling I'm not too worried about the temperatures as it's constantly sub-zero... I guess there aren't much more tweaks to get it more stable at those speeds then?

·

13,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post

Since the CPU has phase change cooling I'm not too worried about the temperatures as it's constantly sub-zero... I guess there aren't much more tweaks to get it more stable at those speeds then?
No, the VRMs above the cpu socket:

This area gets very hot with voltage over 1.4v+, so to keep the VRMs stable, keep them very cool with a fan or waterblock.

• Rep+
Reactions: Rayce185

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up! I guess the CPU cooling range isn't large enough to cool them too...

Do you think it will suffice just to cool the VRM's with a water block but not the chipset? I still have one lying here from the RIVE that would fit, the block for the chipset is different though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts