Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Banned
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Nvidia's upcoming Pascal GPUs are now rumored to be coming to market as early as April, starting off with a Pascal Titan-esque GPU, with lower end models coming later.

The high end models are expected to using the GP100 GPU core, which is built on TSMC 16nm process and use HBM memory, though right now capacities are yet to be confirmed, but current rumors suggest a maximum VRAM capacity of 32GB.

At around June of this year Nvidia are rumored to be launching their GP104 core GPUs, which are rumored to be using GDDR5X memory and not HBM, this will make up the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070, if Nvidia continue to use their current naming scheme.

The GTX 1080 is expected to have performance that is similar to the GTX 980Ti or Titan X, but come in with a lower TDP and thermals.
Source: http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/nvidia_pascal_titan_rumored_to_be_coming_as_early_as_april/1

Some more information from source that is included in OC3D:
Quote:
Further, the GP104 will have a die size of around 300 to 350 mm² as compared to the GM204's 398 mm², while the GP100 aka the Big Pascal will come with a little more 450 mm². Moreover, the chip is rumored to feature 32GB of VRAM and nearly 17 billion transistors in a relatively smaller packing. The flagship Pascal GPUs are based on the 16nm FinFET process and are said to use the next generation High Bandwidth Memory, or HBM2, standard.

As for the unveiling, the Titan grade products based on the GP100 are expected to be announced in April, with the downgrade version to debut in June 2017 (1080 Ti). On the other hand, the GP104 based series, allegedly called the GeForce GTX 1080, and its scaled down version GTX 1070 will be unveiled in June this year, just before or after COMPUTEX.
Source 2: http://techfrag.com/2016/01/25/nvidia-2014-2017-gpu-roadmap-pascal-titan-gp100-to-debut-in-april-gtx-1080-in-june-and-volta-in-2017/

·
You broke it!
14,286 Posts
I highly doubt the 1080 wouldn't use HBM, I would expect the "1080" and up cards to use HBM, and the lower end cards to run GDDR5X. Although a Titan level Pascal would be mighty tasty.....

EDIT:

Unless I missed something where the "1080" is confirmed as GP104, and not GP100.

·
PC Evangelist
47,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

I highly doubt the 1080 wouldn't use HBM, I would expect the "1080" and up cards to use HBM, and the lower end cards to run GDDR5X. Although a Titan level Pascal would be mighty tasty.....

EDIT:

Unless I missed something where the "1080" is confirmed as GP104, and not GP100.
I am more surprised to see Titan X to be replaced after 1 year.

·
Adclock.net
3,751 Posts
Soooo I can see me saving up for dat titan! it should out pace 4 GTX 680s hopefully...

·
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box
5,534 Posts
Hmmm, 1080 similar to 980Ti or Titan X, but lower TDP and thermals. Might keep a eye out and see. I'm just curious what the folding potential for these cards will be. Be aweful nice if they can fold similar or higher, but eat less Watts while doing it.

I really hope this time the Titan be something worth eyeing. The X just did not interest me at all. Just glad they finally bring compute back.

·
Banned
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

When was xxx04 ever the Big Die?

GM204 = 980
GM200 = Titan X

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Quote:
The GTX 1080 is expected to have performance that is similar to the GTX 980Ti or Titan X, but come in with a lower TDP and thermals.
Huh? Maybe i had unrealistic expectations for Pascal, but i thought it was going to better than that? As in Pascal was to be GPU line-up to power 4k @ 60fps properly. I dont see the 980ti doing that with newer games being maxed out.

I understand that it's all been assumptions and rumors so far though.
redface.gif

Edit: I also understand that these are the first cards to launch.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Guess good thing I decided to hang to my GTX 680 instead buying a 980/TI. I can wait a little longer for the new Pascal card's. =)

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGordon View Post

Huh? Maybe i had unrealistic expectations for Pascal, but i thought it was going to better than that? As in Pascal was to be GPU line-up to power 4k @ 60fps properly. I dont see the 980ti doing that with newer games being maxed out.

I understand that it's all been assumptions and rumors so far though.
redface.gif

Edit: I also understand that these are the first cards to launch.
GP104 was never going to be [email protected] anyway. If history is any indication, GP104 should be about 30% faster than GM200 stock for stock, and GM200 is not even close to [email protected] on a single GPU.

·
AMD fan
1,870 Posts
Maybe buyers will learn to wait for X80TI before buying the Pascal's Titan only to end up getting a rude shock.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Well it does say this in the lead as well as the Techfrag article:
Quote:
As for the unveiling, the Titan grade products based on the GP100 are expected to be announced in April, with the downgrade version to debut in June 2017 (1080 Ti).
If true, I can see those wanting [email protected] on a single GPU jumping on GP100 early.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:

EDIT:

i wouldn't doubt that they'd release the small die first and the large die as a new halo product.

also i think it probably won't have hbm.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

the Titan grade products based on the GP100 are expected to be announced in April, with the downgrade version to debut in June 2017 (1080 Ti).\
So no reason for anyone with a top level Maxwell card to upgrade until June of next year. Unless you want to waste $1,000+ on a Titan card. I was waiting on Pascal to upgrade, but if this is true I may opt to try and find a good deal on a new/used 980 Ti instead and wait for the 1080 Ti a year later.

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
I know a lot of people have their hopes sky-high but this is about what I've been expecting. Assuming the veracity of this report, I see no reason to change my typical buying pattern.

Obviously we need more details, but I feel for those who are expecting $300 USD 4k souleaters. Polaris and Pascal will be a step forward (maybe diagonally) but the entire GPU scene isn't going to experience a complete reversal of trend.

• Rep+
Reactions: BulletSponge

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpossum View Post

So no reason for anyone with a top level Maxwell card to upgrade until June of next year. Unless you want to waste $1,000+ on a Titan card. I was waiting on Pascal to upgrade, but if this is true I may opt to try and find a good deal on a new/used 980 Ti instead and wait for the 1080 Ti a year later.
That's what I figured when I bought double Fiji. For the past 8 years it's generally a good experience for me to buy two high-end cards a few months into their lifespan, and ride them out until the next gen's high-end has been out a few months. I'm not looking to replace my Fiji's until summer of '17. I'm anticipating replacing them with Polaris but these Pascal Titan numbers have me intrigued enough to consider Pascal Ti when the time comes.

·
Banned
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Yeah I'm still going to get a 980 Ti, same thing happened when I bought my 780, got it at a mad discount and then a few months later the GTX 980 launched. So I have no problem if the same thing happens again (getting a 980 Ti and then a 1080 launches).

Side-Note, Going to add this interesting chart to OP, that is inside the TechFrag source:

·
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box
5,534 Posts
Quote:

Reason patience can pay off at times. I remember the butt hurt peeps had over the 780Ti and Titan Black after buying the first original Titans. (Me I just enjoyed buying 2nd hand Titans off peeps because of it).
tongue.gif
Also why I sat and watched what happen with Titan X and 980Tis. Of course I nabbed me some 2nd hand Tis.
biggrin.gif
So I can happily sit and wait out this next round, hehe. I'm a stickler with my money. Plus, I prefer to see solid numbers before making any decisions.

1 - 20 of 293 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.