Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With new x99 motherboards coming out gosh its waiting for reviews of which is the best new x99 motherboard
I just hope very little bugs and better bios updates

its gonna be two month process to see how much cpu, mb, ddr4 ram gonna really cost

what are your thoughts ?

http://ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=14710
Quote:
While we only have a small teaser of the new ASRock X99 Taichi motherboard which does not reveal any details, we are quite sure that we will see an update with modern storage connectivity options like U.2, M.2 and SATA Express and probably a new direction in ASRock design.

ASRock already had some impressive motherboards based on Intel's X99 Express chipset, including the X99 OC Formula and the Fatal1ty X99 Professional so we are quite sure that Taichi series will be impressive and have plenty of overclocking-friendly features.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Whats the deal with ASRock? I heard someone say there are a subdivision of ASUS.

Looking only at reviews they seem to make just as good MBs as ASUS (for gamers),
but in a thread discussing best x99 motherboards, they were not even on the list...

Anyone have any insight? (I currently own a RIVE, and have used only ASUS boards,
but my experience have not been that good, to I'm considering new brands.

Thanks.

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
I just feel ASrock is as good as the other brands.

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlizz View Post

Whats the deal with ASRock? I heard someone say there are a subdivision of ASUS.

Looking only at reviews they seem to make just as good MBs as ASUS (for gamers),
but in a thread discussing best x99 motherboards, they were not even on the list...

Anyone have any insight? (I currently own a RIVE, and have used only ASUS boards,
but my experience have not been that good, to I'm considering new brands.

Thanks.
ASRock and Asus had the same parent corporation (Pegatron), but were meant for different markets. Asus was meant for high end stuff, ASrock for low end and sometimes rather wierd/experimental stuff. Sometime between 32nm Nehalem and Sandy Bridge, ASrock decided to try their hand at higher end motherboards, and they found that they actually did pretty well.

This of course isnt the entire story, and some details are missing, but its the gist of it.

• Rep+
Reactions: francisw19

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post

ASRock and Asus had the same parent corporation (Pegatron), but were meant for different markets. Asus was meant for high end stuff, ASrock for low end and sometimes rather wierd/experimental stuff. Sometime between 32nm Nehalem and Sandy Bridge, ASrock decided to try their hand at higher end motherboards, and they found that they actually did pretty well.

This of course isnt the entire story, and some details are missing, but its the gist of it.
Hence the name PEG(ASUS). the winged horse.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post

Ok, thanks. I guess they belonged on the "Best x99 MBs" list after all then (?)
I hate all the "killer, death, lasername" branding, but the specs looks good in general.

Looking for a mATX x99 board with all the new conectivity. =)

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Quote:

I hate all the "killer, death, lasername" branding, but the specs looks good in general.

You should probably wait. I bet some new mATX X99 will get a release soon.

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
Quote:

Well, if you want a no frilly BS mATX board with most of the major modern connectors, cant go wrong with the Asrock X99M Extreme4. Only things it doesnt have are Sata express (which really isnt used anyways) and USB 3.1. As a bonus, if you choose to get one of these shiny Xeons floating around, it'll run on that board, as their consumer boards have full support for all xeons compatible with that board's particular socket.

·
Registered
668 Posts
ASROCK makes some amazing ITX motherboards, with state of the art components you wouldn't even find in the best motherboards. So I guess that falls under experimental ; ) . I will continue to support them because of this.
thumb.gif

·
Banned
130 Posts
Finally happy on word of asrocks x99 refresh! I agree with the rest, asrock has come a long way since leaving asus and I will continue to support them aswell as they give you best components they can without all the marketing jumbo to go with it half the time and purity sound cant be beat.

Granted they have had share of major issues in past but I think this gens been a major step up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you look closely, there is a board visible faintly in the background. I like ASRock as a company too, they make some solid boards. Good fight to the top brands from them always.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Asrock makes very decend boards with cheaper price than other brands. Few things I like about Asrock's boards are that they have dual lan ports, 10 Sata 3 ports, 3 M2. I hope Asrock can bring back the SoundCore3D and adding more hard drives saver.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My two most recent boards have been Asrocks. A X99m currently and their 990FX Fatality model previously. Both have been rock solid despite being on nearly 24/7, transported around the country by car and generally abused somewhat more than I'm proud to admit.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Uhhh, ASRock X99 Extreme 11 is still the king.

• Rep+
Reactions: BiG StroOnZ

·
AMD fan
1,844 Posts
Had my Z87 extreme 6 for 2.5 years now and it's still going strong.

·
Banned
4,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiman View Post

Had my Z87 extreme 6 for 2.5 years now and it's still going strong.
Had my Z68 Extreme 4 for 5 years, still rock solid.

Was able to do 5.2GHz with both my 2600k and 2500k with this motherboard (3DMark Stable). My next motherboard when CPU offerings become more interesting will definitely be an ASRock OC Formula.

http://valid.canardpc.com/2871618

http://valid.canardpc.com/2787362

·
Enthusiast Gamer
3,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFinside View Post

I just feel ASrock is as good as the other brands.
Functionality wise yes they are. But the PCB and components on their boards are rougher and not as clean.

Plus it depends on the Socket/Chipset release. The Good/Bad Board Manfs change every release. Depends on the bugs/flaws in the design. Some boards have USB issues, Some have PCIe Lane issues, some have OC issues, etc etc.

Usually though the top end $300+ boards are safer better then the cheaper Sub $300 boards where flaws are more apparent.

I did a lot of research and pretty much Unanimous that 1st gen X99 was ASROCK was the most flaw free.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Lately ASUS haven't thrilled me in general. When I was researching my last build I kept circling back to either MSI or ASRock. Ended up with MSI (X99A XPower AC) but goofily enough the tiebreaker was color not any feature set....

Anyone know if these new X99 boards are running any sort of revision of the chipset for Broadwell-E? Or is a firmware update on an existing board going to effectively get you everything you want for an upgrade from Has-E (aside of course from USB 3.1 potentially)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts