Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
id generally say use small ftt's for stability testing in Prime 95 for 6 hours and OCCT for quick stability testing while overclocking and same goes for intel burn test.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochfordrambo
View Post

ok so i have been using prime now for some time but have just got occt and am really impressed with it . so is it as trust worthy as prime ? just imo both knock spots off intel burn my cpu to shreds.
Also as im new to occt what is the best time too run it for is the 2 hour test enough or longer ?

*Edited for misunderstanding*

"I, personnaly, think (as an opinion) that burntest is the best way to go if you're gonna run only one stress-test. However, this is only an opinion an a personnal choice. Also, many people won't use burntest because it cranks temps a bit higher in most cases... this is up to you."

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsuo View Post
BOTH OCCT and PRIme totally suck.

I got my PC stable for 4 hours on OCCT, 8 hours on prime, but AS SOON as i start intelburntest, it's a matter of 0.5 seconds to get an error.

OCCT and Prime are for pansies scared of high temps it seems
Intelburnintest is the only way to go for a relatively short and sure answer on your stability questions.

OCCT and Prime/Ortho = CRAP
Intel burn test is the real thing.
Exaggerate much? If you can withstand hours of Prime/Orthos/OCCT then you are stable enough to run it. What can you possilbly do gaming or productivity-wise that would push your processor harder than those do? the Intel burn test is nice and crazy and all, but there's NOTHING that's going to push like that it's overkill.

Edit - I generally do OCCT to get a quick idea if the OC is even usable after I pass that with an OC that I like then I'll run it on Orthos overnight and through the work day for a more extended test.

·
oldfaht
1,436 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsuo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricdeau
Exaggerate much?
ROFL

I really like the partial use of caps brother Tatsuo

·
Banned
2,151 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I got my PC stable for 4 hours on OCCT, 8 hours on prime, but AS SOON as i start intelburntest, it's a matter of 0.5 seconds to get an error.

Intelburnintest is the only way to go for a relatively short and sure answer on your stability questions.

Sir I never really say this to people as I'm generally kind. But sir, you're a moron.

small ftt's in prime95 will get that CPU just as toasty, if not more so then pretty much anything else. Period.

·
4.0ghz
4,563 Posts
Quote:

View Post

double ROLF

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSpock2002
View Post

Sir I never really say this to people as I'm generally kind. But sir, you're a moron.

small ftt's in prime95 will get that CPU just as toasty, if not more so then pretty much anything else. Period.

Agreed
OCCT and Prime = fine
Let's see a screenshot of your Intel Burn Test w/duration run + temps

·
Banned
2,151 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpo6969
View Post

double ROLF

Agreed
OCCT and Prime = fine
Let's see a screenshot of your Intel Burn Test w/duration run + temps

Yeah I'd like to see those screen shots to.

·
Once more into the Fold
2,986 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Just so everyone doesnt think Orthos, Prime or OCCT are worthless here are a couple thoughts.

There are many components that have to be stable in order for your system to work properly. Most people stress the CPU, but forget about the RAM/NB. If you only run Small FFT, even for 8+ hours, then you may or may not be stable. The reason being is it only stresses the CPU and no other component on the motherboard.

I have had personal experience with a Orthos "stable" system crash after 15 minutes of online gaming. The problem being that now there is a greater draw on the PSU, motherboard, RAM, and CPU and now its not stable. After a small bump in vCore everything was fine.

IBT works a little differently. When you choose the Maximum Stress level the program will stress the CPU and RAM better than any other program. This will more often find problems with your RAM or NB's stability than your CPU. I have done tests that show Orthos finding errors faster than IBT in certain circumstances.

To sum it up. There is no one perfect program. My personal method is to run 3Dmark, do some online gaming, and run Orthos or Prime or whatever program you choose.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSpock2002
View Post

Burntest gets temperatures higher and finds errors both occt and prime won't under any settings, for my rig at least.

I fixed this by going for a more reasonable 3.8ghz and lower voltage as sig shows.

Oh, and get laid you seem a bit cranky ;-)

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Burntest gets temperatures higher and finds errors both occt and prime won't under any settings, for my rig at least.

I fixed this by going for a more reasonable 3.8ghz and lower voltage as sig shows.

Oh, and get laid you seem a bit cranky ;-)

Wow that was uncalled for. And plus...only people that haven't gotten laid talk like that, just so ya know

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Someone calling people names for no reason is definatly in lack of something...
would it be brains or sex or vitamins i couldn't care less, just went ahead and took a guess

It's because you made a bold statement backed up by zero hard facts. Morons tend to do that. Just don't go around the board says "that sucks, this is much better." It gets people fired up.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Tatsuo, IBT is a great test, but I've had my rig pass that and fail Prime.

There really is no be-all end-all stability testing program.

I use a mix. I use IBT for quick testing of OC's. Then I run Prime or Orthos for 12+ hours Small and Blend. Then I'll do a longer run of IBT.

I use OCCT to reconfirm and I also run 3DMark and games. The key is to slap your OC around many different ways to see how it holds up. Testing with only one program is not advisable if you want to get as stable as possible (my personal feeling is that no computer is ever 100% completely stable...you can get pretty close, but 100% perfection is not acheivable)

So to the OP the answer is "both".

Test your OC with:
IBT
OCCT
Prime95/Orthos
3DMark
anything else you want.

There is no one holy grail program of stability testing.

·
Banned
1,358 Posts
I just wanted to say that Small FFT's in Orthos got my CPU to a max of 58c on both cores while a short run of Intel Burn Test got them both up to 66c, I was shocked.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Someone calling people names for no reason is definatly in lack of something...
would it be brains or sex or vitamins i couldn't care less, just went ahead and took a guess

You first implied that everyone who uses OCCT is a pansie

Anyway what I like about OCCT other then it being perfectly fine for stability testing is being able to log temps and voltages through everest ;]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochfordrambo
View Post

ok so i have been using prime now for some time but have just got occt and am really impressed with it . so is it as trust worthy as prime ? just imo both knock spots off intel burn my cpu to shreds.
Also as im new to occt what is the best time too run it for is the 2 hour test enough or longer ?

I recommend Intel Burn Test in 64-bit environment.
There is nothing better... shows any instabilities in matter of minutes

http://www.ultimate-filez.com/?page=downloads

1 - 20 of 26 Posts