Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to oc my 2200 because im prob gonna upgrade soon so i wanted a specific guide to do this in sead of generalg ones on forums. i was wondering how far I could with this.

MSI KT3 Ultra 2
768 ddr 333
Amd XP 2200 x/ stock heatsink and fan

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Do read this Sticky in the forum and I'll tell you why.
http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=172
You will notice the 2200+ is available in both the "A" and "B" core and the "B" core is the better OCer. Get CPU-Z @ www.cpuid.com to tell you which it is.
A few things to know.
1. Ocing requires an "unlocked" CPU. Try and if the multiplyer increase does not yield an increase in the total Mhz out put of the CPU its locked.
2. OCing requires increasing the CPU voltage and that increases the heat the CPU puts out so you need a better FHS (Fan Heat Sink) to cool it. Good case air circulation is a must to to move extra air in and out.
3. Your RAM is relevant too! It must be as fast or faster than your CPU if you don't have a divider to allow the RAM to run at slower speeds than the CPU. CPU-Z will have some info on your RAM too.
4. If you don't tell us everything about your system we can't guess

List PS (power supply) Brand and wattage, vid card etc... and all the extra stuff you have in the box too!!!
5. Opps... forgot... Patience is a must, big steps in OCing = big trouble and know how to reset the BIOS/CMOS so if you crash it from OCing it to far of use to little voltage per the OC.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke
Do read this Sticky in the forum and I'll tell you why.
http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=172
You will notice the 2200+ is available in both the "A" and "B" core and the "B" core is the better OCer. Get CPU-Z @ www.cpuid.com to tell you which it is.
A few things to know.
1. Ocing requires an "unlocked" CPU. Try and if the multiplyer increase does not yield an increase in the total Mhz out put of the CPU its locked.
Just a quick correction.

Overclocking doesnt require an unlocked CPU. A locked CPU is one that has the mutliplier locked, but just because the multiplier locked it doesnt mean that you cant overclock.

Overclocking can also be done by rasing the FSB (front bus speed), more FSB yields better performance than a higher multiplier, because of the added bandwith.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts