Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to help out a friend in overclocking his system, however for whatever reson I cant get his X2 past 2100MHz. If I move it up to 2150, save then reboot as soon as it gets ready to boot windows, the machine simply reboots. I figured it might be voltage, so I increased it a bit and did nothing to fix the problem, tried to play with different fsb/multiplyer settings however could not resolve the issue. Here are the system specs:

Giga-Byte G8N-SLI
Corsair XMS PC3200 1.5GB
XP Pro X64
3800+ X2
500watt ultra power supply.

Any suggestions would be great, however I dont currently have the system in front of me.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Hmm... You try lowering the HT multiplier to 3x?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Havent tried that yet, Were probably going to give it another shot tomarrow, and see what happens, Ill try that as well and see what it does.

Edit:

When I try that, do you recommend "defaults" on everything else or should I change the fsb to 220 then drop that down?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Also, I highly doubt this but you might try running a Divider on your RAM. I got it running at DDR333 for me.

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
is that the am2 or the 939 socket,

is that three sticks of 512 ram you have in there, if so keep it on a divider because its going to abe apain to oc it unless you run 2x512 sticks

also keep it at 2t cr since maybe that will help since its a odd number

keep an eye on temps and be sure to read thru the faq's on ocing amd's

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
The three sticks of ram will make overclocking a little trickier, and I believe it will force a command rate of 2T which is not the best for performance (but usually it is more stable)

If all else (lowering HTT multiplier, raising cpu voltage, tweaking ram timings) fails, removing the 3rd stick of ram might be a good idea...for testing purposes.

The 3800 should not require a voltage boost yet, the low multiplier on the processor helps there, but requires a high FSB in order to make the speed you'd like to see.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats one thing that I did not know, is that an "Odd #" RAM modules could cause problems. Tomarrow when we go to try this AGAIN LOL Ill have this page open and posting results and questions because this is the first place I have found thats not only knowledgeable in the area, but helpfull to

1 - 8 of 8 Posts