Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I finally got my new cooler so I'm looking to OC. I haven't overclocked since I had LGA 775 chips, so I checked out the guide here on OCN. So basically I just up the multiplier to say 40, and boot up? And if everything's okay slowly bump it up?

The guide made it sound like the vcore changes automatically and that turbo has no effect on the OC even if you can't disable it. I know I also have to disable a bunch of stuff like C1E, EIST, thermal monitor, etc.

***Update***

i5oc.png

i5oc3.jpg

i50c1.jpg

i50c2.jpg

Hows that look? Not sure if I got the settings right, since the vcore still fluctuates (haven't tried gaming with the OC, gonna wait see if I need to make any other changes).

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehpexs
View Post

Never leave your CPU voltage on auto when overclocking! That's how you end up with a 4.5GHz overclock at 1.5 volts.

so if I set it to manual, what's a good/safe starting point @ 4GHz?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i5oc4.png

Set the voltage in the BIOS to 1.39, and upped the multiplier to 43. Gonna run a Prime95 test to check load temps. If everything is fine, what's next? Do I just continue bumping up the multiplier, and then dropping the voltage once I get to my goal?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried 46 with 1.35v but it BSOD'd right when I started Prime95. Backed off to a 43 multi with 1.36v

If it doesn't blue screen when I start the test I'll let it run overnight at 43/1.36

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are there any other settings that need changing besides the multiplier/voltage?

EDIT: so far its been 11 hours in Prime95 blend test, still going strong and staying in the mid-50's at 43x/1.36v

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
451.jpg

452.jpg

453.jpg

Currently running at 45x/1.36v...been running Prime for a few minutes, didn't BSOD immediately like 46/1.35v, but I've changed a couple settings in the BIOS since then too. If this is stable I think I'll just leave it at 4.5GHz and start dropping the vcore for better temps.

·
Premium Member
10,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMallory;14235530
Blue screen'd after about 10 minutes of Prime @ 4.5ghz/1.36v

Upped it to 1.37v, gonna try again
frown.gif
bump the vcore twice and you shoudl probably get an hour or two in blend test, then try increasing the vccio to 1.125 and see if that increases the prime blend more. When you reach 8hours or so, and if it bsods, try not to increase anymore vcore, try messing around with the VCCIO and you could get it pass the 8hr mark.

Good luck
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are these voltages normal by the way? 1.37v @ 4.5GHz? I've seen people with lower vcore with higher/equal OC. Maybe I just got a mediocre chip...but I've also heard the D2 revisions are good OC'ers.

·
Premium Member
10,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMallory;14236093
Are these voltages normal by the way? 1.37v @ 4.5GHz? I've seen people with lower vcore with higher/equal OC. Maybe I just got a mediocre chip...but I've also heard the D2 revisions are good OC'ers.
You should be able to get around 4.7ghz with that voltage, but as every cpu is different it might not be possible. Check the chart on my thread, sorted by overclock and sorted by voltage can give you an indication of what people are running. Lowest 4.5ghz voltage I have seen stable was with 1.272v and highest I has been 1.368v. If your looking to stay at 4.5ghz I would lower the vocre a bit and see if you can get that stable with around 1.32v. It seems that maybe you have been a bit unlucky with your chip.

Hope that helps.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been running at 4.5GHz/1.37v for almost 2 hours now. Temps have yet to hit 60
smile.gif

What's the VCCIO and how does increasing it effect the OC? I saw someone recommend bumping it up to 1.125 to help stabilize it.

·
Premium Member
10,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMallory;14236546
Been running at 4.5GHz/1.37v for almost 2 hours now. Temps have yet to hit 60
smile.gif

What's the VCCIO and how does increasing it effect the OC? I saw someone recommend bumping it up to 1.125 to help stabilize it.
IIRC its the VTT/QPI voltage, increasing it can help stability.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMallory;14236093
All chip acts differently as we all know.
Also they acts differently on the different clock/voltage, too.
Meaning I can get my i5 [email protected] stable but I need 1.375+v to get to 4.8.
That is a big jump. I'm feeling that this particular chip likes to be at 4.6
So some chip acts similar at particular clock/voltage but it won't act as similar on different clock/voltage.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts