Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I finally got my new cooler so I'm looking to OC. I haven't overclocked since I had LGA 775 chips, so I checked out the guide here on OCN. So basically I just up the multiplier to say 40, and boot up? And if everything's okay slowly bump it up?

The guide made it sound like the vcore changes automatically and that turbo has no effect on the OC even if you can't disable it. I know I also have to disable a bunch of stuff like C1E, EIST, thermal monitor, etc.

***Update***

i5oc.png

i5oc3.jpg

i50c1.jpg

i50c2.jpg

Hows that look? Not sure if I got the settings right, since the vcore still fluctuates (haven't tried gaming with the OC, gonna wait see if I need to make any other changes).

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehpexs
View Post

Never leave your CPU voltage on auto when overclocking! That's how you end up with a 4.5GHz overclock at 1.5 volts.

so if I set it to manual, what's a good/safe starting point @ 4GHz?

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i5oc4.png

Set the voltage in the BIOS to 1.39, and upped the multiplier to 43. Gonna run a Prime95 test to check load temps. If everything is fine, what's next? Do I just continue bumping up the multiplier, and then dropping the voltage once I get to my goal?

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried 46 with 1.35v but it BSOD'd right when I started Prime95. Backed off to a 43 multi with 1.36v

If it doesn't blue screen when I start the test I'll let it run overnight at 43/1.36

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are there any other settings that need changing besides the multiplier/voltage?

EDIT: so far its been 11 hours in Prime95 blend test, still going strong and staying in the mid-50's at 43x/1.36v

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
451.jpg

452.jpg

453.jpg

Currently running at 45x/1.36v...been running Prime for a few minutes, didn't BSOD immediately like 46/1.35v, but I've changed a couple settings in the BIOS since then too. If this is stable I think I'll just leave it at 4.5GHz and start dropping the vcore for better temps.

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are these voltages normal by the way? 1.37v @ 4.5GHz? I've seen people with lower vcore with higher/equal OC. Maybe I just got a mediocre chip...but I've also heard the D2 revisions are good OC'ers.

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been running at 4.5GHz/1.37v for almost 2 hours now. Temps have yet to hit 60
smile.gif

What's the VCCIO and how does increasing it effect the OC? I saw someone recommend bumping it up to 1.125 to help stabilize it.

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm noticing that during the Prime95 tests the multiplier will fluctuate between 43x and 45x. Is this normal?

(sorry for the noob-like questions, I'd rather ask 'em all here than make multiple threads)

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just checked, and spread spectrum IS disabled. As for the turbo boost limit, should it be 250w for the short duration limit, or the long duration limit?

Also, I couldn't find the VCCIO setting.

471.jpg

472.jpg

473.jpg

My current settings. 4.5ghz/1.37v was stable for about four or five hours of Prime, so I bumped it up to 4.7ghz/1.38. Gonna run Prime for a bit, do some gaming, and then do a 10-12 hour Prime run overnight. If its stable I'll stay at this speed and maybe try to lower voltages (though temps are fine), if not I'll step back down to 4.5ghz

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Damn, instant BSOD when starting up Prime. Gonna retry at 4.6ghz/1.39v.

EDIT: Prime didn't immediately brick with 4.6ghz/1.39, so I'll let it run for a bit while I'm out of the house.

These chips seem to have their own "sweet spots" with frequency right? As in, at 47x mine could BSOD at 1.39, but at 46 or 48 it could be stable and possibly even be able to drop the voltage?

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So it seems pretty stable @ 4.6ghz/1.39v...ran Prime95 blend test for 12 hours. Gonna keep it there and do some gaming today, might try to drop the voltage since I finally hit 60 degrees on one of the cores

I did notice that my multiplier still fluctuates. Even at 100% load it'll change...it ranges from like 43x to 46x.

EDIT: strange...one of my workers stopped running during my 12-hour Prime run

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've updated my settings, now testing for stability @ 4.6GHz and 1.35v

C1E - disabled
C3 state - disabled
package C state - disabled
hardware prefetcher - disabled
adjacent cache live prefetcher - disabled
no-execute memory protection - disabled
spread spectrum - disabled
Intel virtualization - disabled

Disabled Speedstep after setting the turbo boost power limits. Short duration is 140 and long duration is 180. Seconds were set to max, which I think was 56.

CPU thermal throttling and internal PLL overvoltage both enabled.

CPU load line calibration set to level 1, and power saving mode under the voltage settings is disabled.

My multiplier doesn't budge now, steady 46x at all times. However, my voltage seems to fluctuate. Its set to 1.35 in the BIOS but HWMonitor and CPU-Z both show the voltage move between 1.35 and 1.38

(EDIT: settings taken from TomsHardware guide. hoping this is stable so I can keep dropping the voltage)

45 minutes in Prime95 blend test so far...looking good! Gonna mow the lawn and play some BC2 after before trying any lower vcore

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunagoblin;14246062
C1E - disabled
C3 state - disabled
package C state - disabled

These make your idle temp and wattage consumption way lower.
About 5-10c lower idle temp and 1/2 to 1/4 lower wattage. = Lower electric bills
smile.gif

Also it usually won't affect stability of your OC.

Also "Speed step" makes lower your multi when it's on idle which is good feature.
Also this usually won't affect the OCability, either.

Short long duration are just to give the CPU some headroom so you can actually put any number higher than 150. I set mine all to 255, 255, 255. BUT I keep mine to "default 1sec".

Also LLC Level 1 is pretty hardcore. Level 2 is better.
If it's making your load voltage down too much, then you may put "Additional turbo voltage to +0.004v".
So if I enable C1E and the two C state options, I'll have lower temps and be able to lower the vcore without making it less stable?

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Alrighty, I've re-enabled the C state options, Speedstep, C1E. Changed the LLC to level 2. Upped the turbo boost power limits a bit and added additional turbo voltage of +0.004v

Lowered the vcore two more notches down to 1.34v

Much better idle temps...back down to the high 20's/low 30's. Running Prime95 for stability. If all goes well I'll probably continue dropping the vcore a bit more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.