Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to OC my stock 8350fx (4,0ghz) to 4.5ghz on my asus m5a99fx pro r2.0

My ram is Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (i dont need to OC this)

What are the settings required (voltage, etc)?

·
Networking Nut
368 Posts
Hey! I have the same mobo/cpu combo that you do, and was able to clock it up to 4.8Ghz using this guide

http://www.overclock.net/t/1140459/bulldozer-overclocking-guide-performance-scaling-charts-max-ocs-ln2-results-coming

Keep in mind that your CPU cooler will have a big impact on how high you can overclock. I was able to reach 4.8Ghz stable with the NZXT Kraken X60, and 4.3Ghz with a Coolermaster Hyper TX3.

My voltage is currently set to 1.425, which is the lowest setting I can have before it will become unstable. Try not to have your voltage exceed 1.5v, as this will almost certainly damage your CPU/mobo, especially if you are using your cpu at full load for long periods of time.

If you want, I can give you my full specs of the overclock when I get home, as I am at work right now. Let us know how it goes! GL!
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
Im interested in your setting in the bios with this board. Im haveing trouble getting 4.6 stable and im at 1.48v right now. I have the thermaltake water 2.0, and i lapped the waterblock as well as the IHS on my cpu
biggrin.gif
So temps shouldnt be any kind of issue.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
right around 4.6-4.8 there is a "voltage wall" that piledriver OCers need to climb to stabilize. you might be hitting that wall... though 1.48 does seem to be on the high side.

take the ram/nb out of the equation. drop your ram speeds down to 1333 and nb down to 1800... see if you can't stabilize then... you might also be having issues with overheating VRM/NB... piledrivers beat up that part of your board... i knew i was in for a wild ride when the heatsinks on my m5a99x evo were quite hot to touch when the chip was at stock.

you can try sticking a 120mm fan over the nb/vrm heatsinks and see if that stabilizes you.

I've got a great chip, my 8320 is stable at 5.0ghz with just 1.45v on the vcore... but that's both unique and a bit misleading. see at about that point, the vrm/nb on my board get almost too hot to stabilize. with a fan over them i can run Intel Burn Test all day, but if i take the fan away it usually starts to fail at 10-15 minutes... the system sometimes crashes all together.

btw: at 4.6 prime95 stopped working for me as a stability test... with cores crashing out no matter what voltage i used.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm sitting at 4.6 myself right now and can confirm i'm seeing the same stability issues with Prime as mentioned above. My 4170 would easily clock 4.8 and still remain stable, but this 8350 is really pushing the NB and the VRM. I'm currently looking at potential water cooling solutions for the system. I have a universal EK Asus NB/SB unit here to evaluate. Will probably mount it on the SB first as that's easiest (and helps me tie in my loop correctly) then once I figure out a solution for the VRM I will pick up another for the NB as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.