Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to Intel overclocking... but since I've been working on my Bro's rig I thought I'd OC it a bit to give him a little more edge on his games.

This is his rig.

Celeron D 330J 2.66Ghz prescott core
Asus P5RD1-V mobo 775 socket
1gb Corsair XMS 3200C2
MSI 6600GT
80gb IDE western digital hd
lite on DVD drive
stock cpu cooler
3 80mm intake fans, one 120mm rear exhaust fan and a blowhole on the top of his case (Aspire X-Dreamer II case)
Sunbeam nuuo 550w psu

Alright, so I set the spectrum to disabled, set the RAM timings to 2-3-3-6 (which is what they should run at DDR400 so there shouldn't be an issue)
the vcore is 1.3125 and vRAM is 2.7

I upped the fsb to 150 which puts me from 2.66Ghz to 3.0Ghz with a 600Mhz FSB speed. I haven't primed the system yet, but the idle temps are 38.

I guess what I'm asking is there anything else I need to be doing? what are the voltages and temps I should aim for w/ this core? what can I expect to get with this setup? I think the only limiting factor will be the cpu as the mobo supports a 800Mhz FSB and the RAM should get to about DDR500 and right now they are only at DDR300 (I think)

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
PCI-E/AGP/PCI locks should always be locked to make sure the system stays stable. These should be clocked at 100.0MHz/66.6MHz/33.3MHz (you will either have PCI-E or AGP depending on the board model).
As for voltage and temperature limitations I would keep the CPU below an average of 65C and a maximum voltage of 1.525v

That CPU will overclock well if those are met, Speed Spectrum should be disabled (which you have already done)

Looks good so far.

Note: Your board is rated for 800MHz FSB but it will be able to operate fine with FSB speeds above that, the same with the memory speeds.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thanks for the help. yeah, I have the PCIe set to 100. (I know all that from OC'ing AMD) I just forgot to mention it. I did not see anything to lock the IDE drives... so I'll have to look again in the bios for that.

I am a little confused about the RAM though. how exactly does it work... RAM speed should just be double the FSB, correct? If so, then I wonder why it won't work when I put the RAM speed to the CPU speed. I have to leave it on AUTO. Sadly, both memtest and cpu-z are unable to determine the memory frequency.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I double checked the bios and there aren't any options to lock the pci ports or the ide... so Idk. there is a pcie option and that is set at 100Mhz.

I did run prime95 all night and it is stable 13 hours at 3.2Ghz load temps are 43-44

alright in the interest of not just adding more posts I thought I'd just edit my last one.

I checked the bios once again to find a pci frequency or a way to lock it... didn't find anything.
I upped the vcore a bit more and tried to get 165Mhz FSB... but it won't boot. I'm wondering if it is related to ide devices... or are they locked automatically? I know it's not a power or temp issue.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bumb... anyone know why I've hit at wall at 3.2 when the temps and voltages are low? does it have anything to do w/ not being able to find anything about locking pci slots or ide?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts