Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm trying to do a really soft overclock of my 965, but I've run into a few issues. I currently have the rig passing 1hr 6 mins of blend tests in Prime95 with the current settings;

3600mhz (CPU speed @ 18 ratio)
@manual 1.375 V

Ram @ 1600 (9,9,9,24 T1(T2 is stock)) I'll explain the loose timings later
@ stock 1.6 V (technically 1.65 is stock but that seems pretty high)

CPU/NB @2600mhz
CPU/NB @ 1.25 V

HT Link @2000mhz

The reason for the loose ram timings is simply because the chips don't seem to care for anything stricter, I have tried underclocking it to 1333 with stricter and equally loose timings and I have tried tighter timings @ it's stock 1600 and it either won't boot or doesn't make it past 10 minutes in prime 95... This is a moderately heavy use gaming rig and I definitely need more than 1 hour of stability XD but I'm out of ideas, at the 1 hour mark it doesn't seems likely that it's my ram anymore, but any more volts to CPU or CPU/NB causes exponentially more instability. Not to mention I'm on stock cooling, in Florida, and am quite pleased by my 4 cores staying at a uniform 56-57C and my CPU itself never reading out past 52C.
I really appreciate any advice I can get at the moment, as I am totally stumped, thanks again for your time guys!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, okay I'll give that a shot. In the past more volts actually caused things to become less stable, but its worth another try. Should I be concerned about those core temps? Or so long as my CPU temp reads <55C am I ok? Hmm with that extra voltage my cores are skirting 60 C and my CPU is 54-55... I might stop this test and scale thigns back. For some reason my CPU fan is hardly going over 3k RPM whereas in previous tests it reved right up to 4k...

·
Banned
4,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethax View Post

Hmm, okay I'll give that a shot. In the past more volts actually caused things to become less stable, but its worth another try. Should I be concerned about those core temps? Or so long as my CPU temp reads <55C am I ok? Hmm with that extra voltage my cores are skirting 60 C and my CPU is 54-55... I might stop this test and scale thigns back. For some reason my CPU fan is hardly going over 3k RPM whereas in previous tests it reved right up to 4k...
Just keep it below 60c to be on the safer side. You should really look into aftermarket cooling. Also, go into the BIOS and set the fan to manually work under 100% 24/7.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh wow lol... Accidentially set the cooling to factory defauts which is 100 @ 70C! holy cow XD, set 100% to 50C so under any load my cpu fan will start going all out again temp of cores looks much better now 55-57(mostly 55) C and CPU temp is reading out sub 50 sooo sweet I'll see if I can make the 7-8 hour mark as that should be more than stable enough since this computer will rarely ever see even that much use. Thanks again, if I hit anymore speedbumps I'll post back here again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol... Made it to 6 hours and 36 minutes... Bummer only 24 mins away from the 7 hour milestone... I'll have to think as to whether or not I'm okay with this one lol... Thanks again for the help haha. I wonder if it was the CPU/NB or CPU... My money would be on the cpu if people didn't get it to 3.6 without ever going past 1.375 etc... Dang, pretty frustrating when it stops this close to making it...

Aha! Vdroop and some idiot's design oh the cpu fan were kicking my ass trying with LLC enabled, cpu fan reversed and now at nearly 7k rpm, and at 1.35 cpu 1.25 cpu/nb to see if it can pass the stress tests, so far temps are freaking amazing haha, but the articles on this stock fan actually rated it as one of the best aftermarket low-profile fans period. Fingers crossed XD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
=/ Damn it.
With a Vcore of 1.3562 (I hope it was this, might have been 1.35)
and CPU/NB of 1.25
I have passed with the above specs 9 hours or so of P95 Large fft's
My problem still lies in the blend test, this time I crashed after 8 hours and 42 minutes the test stopped due to hardware failure. In my book I only see one possible reason, RAM but I am not sure what else I can do. I suppose I will keep trying to play with timings, but that only seemed to make me far less stable in the past. I am stuck again unfortunately, though now my cpu ran the large FFTs and hovered around 53C ^_^ easy as switching the direction of the cpu fan there...

But once again any help is Greatly appreciated as I am at a bit of a loss, my ram settings are default 9-9-9-24(1T) @ 1.65V.
Also 2T is default but 1Tseems to really help =/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts