Overclock.net banner

OCing RAM on Asrock motherboards on LG1700

1107 Views 9 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  bhav
I currently have the 13700K and Asrock Z790M-ITX, and just bought Teamgroup 5600 CL36 RAM Hynix RAM. Despite all my effort, it seems almost impossible to find a comprehensive understandable guide for how to OC RAM, and DDR5 specifically online.The biggest issue is the variation in BIOS settings to various vendors. It's especially hard to find anything about Asrock motherboards. I was wondering if somebody could help me out here. My only aim is to get moderate and stable OC (6200-6400 MHz at maybe tighter timings).

I've been told numerous times to focus on 3 voltage parameters from the get-go: VDD2, VDDQ and SA.

When I go into OC Tweaker>Voltage Configuration, the above-mentioned names show up, but multiple times, as shown in the images below, so I'm confused as to what to focus on:

There's also one section for "System Agent Voltage Offset" in OC Tweaker>FIVR Configuration, as shown in the image below:

Can anybody help me figure out which ones in the picture that I'm actually supposed to change?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,325 Posts
You bought the wrong board for trying to overclock ram, literally the worst one for Z790, even worse than Gigabyte boards.

Why? Asrock boards brick a lot while overclocking the ram.

And they removed the bios flashback feature on the Z790M-ITX.

Do not even attempt to overclock the ram on this board, if possible if it still has any return window, return it for an MSI or Asus ITX Z790 instead.

Even users on Asrock subreddit are saying avoid this board. The VRM is so weak, and to top that off you have a 13700K, this boards VRM isn't even capable for stock TDP on a 13600K without throttling.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You bought the wrong board for trying to overclock ram, literally the worst one for Z790, even worse than Gigabyte boards. Why? Asrock boards brick a lot while overclocking the ram. And they removed the bios flashback feature on the Z790M-ITX. Do not even attempt to overclock the ram on this board, if possible if it still has any return window, return it for an MSI or Asus ITX Z790 instead.
Oof, that sucks to hear. I can return but won't be doing it unfortunately. The work of taking a motherboard out and putting another one in is just not worth it. The time lost doing that and the price increase to other Z970 ITX boards (reason I bought this one--the others are absolutely insane), makes it just as cheap for me to buy RAM dies that support ~6400 Mhz on XMP. Cause this ought to be able to run those dies at XMP as well, right?

You bought the wrong board for trying to overclock ram, literally the worst one for Z790, even worse

Even users on Asrock subreddit are saying avoid this board. The VRM is so weak, and to top that off you have a 13700K, this boards VRM isn't even capable for stock TDP on a 13600K without throttling.
That's only true for multithreaded workloads where virtually all cores are used. I don't do rendering, only do regular surfing and play video games. In games it gets to 130 Max in benchmarks (Mobi PL is 150W). For me it'll be even less, as I'm disabling the small cores in their entirety. I can also easily undervolt the CPU.

· Registered
5,325 Posts
Oof, that sucks to hear. I can return but won't be doing it unfortunately. The work of taking a motherboard out and putting another one in is just not worth it. The time lost doing that and the price increase to other Z970 ITX boards (reason I bought this one--the others are absolutely insane), makes it just as cheap for me to buy RAM dies that support ~6400 Mhz on XMP. Cause this ought to be able to run those dies at XMP as well, right?
XMP 6400 should be fine. I've spent the last 6 or so months overclocking in the Z690M-ITX and recommend it for no one unless running stock settings.

The Z690 at least has flashback for when it bricks which it will a lot. On the Z790 you will have to clear cmos with the jumpers.

Several users confirmed on the Z690, only way to OC ram on these Asrock boards is resetting the bios to stock everytime you want to change any ram settings.

The slightest change after can lead to it not booting again, as the auto bios recovery is terrible on them.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ichirou

· OG AMD
9,012 Posts
You bought the wrong board for trying to overclock ram, literally the worst one for Z790, even worse than Gigabyte boards.

Why? Asrock boards brick a lot while overclocking the ram.

And they removed the bios flashback feature on the Z790M-ITX.

Do not even attempt to overclock the ram on this board, if possible if it still has any return window, return it for an MSI or Asus ITX Z790 instead.

Oh god here we go again. The same old bs.

The training can take a long time to finish. Everyone sets their bios and when restarted you get a black screen. It's supposed to do that. DDR5 can take over an hour.

· Registered
5,325 Posts
Oh god here we go again. The same old bs.

The training can take a long time to finish. Everyone sets their bios and when restarted you get a black screen. It's supposed to do that. DDR5 can take over an hour.
No, they stop training and go on an endless restart cycle, 5-10 seconds and restart on endless loop. This is well documented on Asrock's subreddit.

These boards don't 'train' the memory correctly.

· OG AMD
9,012 Posts
Asrock's subreddit
Proof? Only posts I found are the same general noob failures I can find under every motherboard. Especially the ones crying because ASRock told them to only overclock through the bios to prevent some idiot trying to run a 20 core overclock on a budget itx board. I see one complaint about RAM, which was corrected with a bios update.

· Registered
5,325 Posts
Proof? Only posts I found are the same general noob failures I can find under every motherboard. Especially the ones crying because ASRock told them to only overclock through the bios to prevent some idiot trying to run a 20 core overclock on a budget itx board. I see one complaint about RAM, which was corrected with a bios update.
Mate I literally just went from the Asrock Z690 to MSI Z790 with the same ram, same CPU and doing the exact same thing, the MSI board trains and recovers from unsuccessful OC in like 10% of the time, and the proof is literally the board I was using!

My Asrock M-ITX would stop recovering from unsuccessful RAM OC after around 3 or 4 attempts and require CMOS reset or flashback.

· OG AMD
9,012 Posts
Mate I literally just went from the Asrock Z690 to MSI Z790 with the same ram, same CPU and doing the exact same thing, the MSI board trains and recovers from unsuccessful OC in like 10% of the time, and the proof is literally the board I was using!

My Asrock M-ITX would stop recovering from unsuccessful RAM OC after around 3 or 4 attempts and require CMOS reset or flashback.
So you compare a 690 chipset to the more updated 790? Seems legit.

To be clear, I am not saying you can't have an issue. What I am saying is every single board out there is in the same boat. DDR5 is new. It takes time to get the bugs worked out.

· Registered
5,325 Posts
So you compare a 690 chipset to the more updated 790? Seems legit.

To be clear, I am not saying you can't have an issue. What I am saying is every single board out there is in the same boat. DDR5 is new. It takes time to get the bugs worked out.
And Asrock M-ITX are the cheapest budget boards with the weakest VRMs, including the VRM that feed the Dimm slots. They are not made for any overclocking, they are made for running stock speed only.

You can compare the results to say an Msi Pro A Z690 which many people have, those are also 10x faster for memory training than the Asrock boards.

Im not even saying that the M-ITX boards have an issue, it is a fact that they are not for overclocking, why do you think they cost so little and only support a maximum PL of 150w?

Asrock M-ITX boards will fail to boot and get stuck in an endless reboot cycle after trying any ram overclocking. A lot. Tried and tested, they are not made for it.

They are not training, they get completely buggered until you CMOS rest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts