Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I came by this forum today and I love it! I will start off by asking a cpu oc question

I recently just finished my 1st build, specs in my sig. I've been doing reading about overclocking, but I'd say I'm still pretty newbie.

So far, I've manged to get my cpu to 2300mhz from 2000mhz without messing with the vcore, but any higher than 2300mhz my system just reboots. I tried increasing my vcore by maybe .025v at a time and still no luck.

Can someone please show me how to get my cpu speed higher? I heard the venice is supposed to be godly at OCing. My cpu temps are very cool, but I just don't know how to get my cpu faster. My multiplier setting is capped at 10, and btw is my RAM OC friendly?

Thanks in advance for replies!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the Forum

Are you firmiliar with the HT effect on RAM, LDT voltage, etc..
Also whatch your temps under full load, the 939 maz @ 50c.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Your overclocking your memory too high. You need to set a divider. Go into BIOS and change your memory speed/freq. to DDR333 instead of DDR400. That should let you boot it up. If you from a rather high FSB (270+) you'll need to set it down to 266. That should give you some head way. Read a lot of FAQ's.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
I have a similar mb to yours. Following are all my settings for a stable 2500 mhz:

FSB 250
Multi X 10
HT x 4
Everything else is stock

·
Registered
220 Posts
Go into your BIOS, set HTT multi at 3x.
Set ram divider down so ram is at 333mhz level.
Set your agp bus @ 67mhz (this will lock this bus so it doesn't OC)

Load windows.

Download a program called "clockgen".

Follow instructions.

In clockgen move your HTT slider over to 2.4gigs and say "set".

If it doesn't lock, then keep going up.

Pass 2.5ghz it can get tricky so you may want to wait on that.

Now test using prime95, superpi, cpuburn to make sure it's stable.

After you master CPU overclocking, you can move on to getting as much out of your ram as you can.

GL

I recommend overclocking in windows, so if the settings don't take, you just hit reset and start over again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by internal
Go into your BIOS, set HTT multi at 3x.
Set ram divider down so ram is at 333mhz level.
Set your agp bus @ 67mhz (this will lock this bus so it doesn't OC)

Load windows.

Download a program called "clockgen".

Follow instructions.

In clockgen move your HTT slider over to 2.4gigs and say "set".

If it doesn't lock, then keep going up.

Pass 2.5ghz it can get tricky so you may want to wait on that.

Now test using prime95, superpi, cpuburn to make sure it's stable.

After you master CPU overclocking, you can move on to getting as much out of your ram as you can.

GL

I recommend overclocking in windows, so if the settings don't take, you just hit reset and start over again.
Thx, I just did what you told me and my 3200+ is running at 2.5 stable @40 load. Thx again and I'll try to get it higher, but I should really read some more FAQs because I don't really understand the divider and ram stuff yet

·
Registered
220 Posts
Keep going, you're on your way.

Start learning about what you did and why and it will all hit you like a ton of bricks.

It's also about knowing the right programs to use for what.
I'll give you a head start.

You already know about clockgen.

Use CPU-Z to know what level your CPU and RAM is at, you'll use this program alot when you start tweaking.

Make sure you have a util that can monitor CPU temps when you're running your stablity tester programs like Prime95.

Another trick is to make sure you run a stress tester program like prime95 for at least 3 hours to make sure your OC is sound.

Need any help, let me know.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If u go any further then 250fsb make sure you drop your htt to 3, otherwise it may stop booting and could corrupt ur hdd. I'm at 2.6 at the moment on stock cooling with a 37c load. Another thing, i prefer to overclock with my bios rather then a prog, i find progs to be un-reliable compared to the bios, my 2c.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Why do people keep saying it will corrupt your HDD?

I've done it plenty of times with no problem.

HTT multiplier of 4x is ok if you don't go over 249htt.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Mongoose
If u go any further then 250fsb make sure you drop your htt to 3, otherwise it may stop booting and could corrupt ur hdd. I'm at 2.6 at the moment on stock cooling with a 37c load. Another thing, i prefer to overclock with my bios rather then a prog, i find progs to be un-reliable compared to the bios, my 2c.
I never said it will corrupt your hdd, i said it could and this varies depending on what motherboard you are running.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
For the record...using Clockgen to overclock isn't really what this forum's about. Not only will it limit your potential overclock, but you don't learn anything if you use clockgen. Man up and fiddle with your BIOS.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Whoa chill out there fellows.

Clockgen is a way to find what works without having to deal with always discharging your mboard after you went to far.

After you find the sweet spot, by all means go into the bios and make it permanent.

Besides, you still have to set base parameters in the bios even when you use clockgen so I don't see how you are more of a man then I.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Woohoo!

Hit 2.6 ghz with 260fsb, 1.45vcore, 10 multiplier and 3x ht with ram at 333mhz. I set the PCI bus at 33.33mhz so the agp bus should also lock at 33.33mhz X 2=67 mhz right?

The load temp now after 3dmark05 benching is 47C. <---This can't be good? I'm almost @ 50C...

Btw, I understand everything talked about except for HT. Wut is the hyper transport frequency anyways? THx for your help guys this is a great community.

Also, I'm thinking about getting a big typhoon so I can OC some more? How high do you think I can get with better air cooling? Is it worth the $50 investment?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just benching the cpu with super-pi.

Before without changing anything other than the fsb to 230 (so cpu is at 2.3ghz, memory at 400mhz) I get 35s for the 1M test.

Now with 2.5ghz cpu and memory running at 333mhz I get 38s for the 1M test? What's wrong? I have nothing running in the background other than vital windows processes.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Super PI and the results you get can very massively depending on ya ram speed and timings, you can change a timing and do a run and you will see a time difference, its a great program for tweaking your ram and seeing the results working for or against you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts