Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OCN BOOK CLUB

Hey OCN members. If you are like me, there isn't a whole lot of time left between gaming, work and/or school, over clocking, and raising a family. But, somehow some of us manage to fit in time to read a little.

So, I thought it would be nice to share what you are reading. Anything goes, as long as it's A) with in TOS to share it and B) Literature. This does not include Graphic Novels (which I love), magazines, pamphlets, toilet walls, or cereal boxes.

The format of your post should include the Title of the book (Italicized, Size 3), the Author, the Genre, and maybe a brief synopsis - NO SPOILERS PLEASE. Any other info would be nice too. Also, I know that it is hard to give a good synopsis if you are reading the book for the first time, so do your best.

Code:

Code:
[CODE]
[B][CENTER][URL="http://www.overclock.net/art-graphics/564579-ocn-book-club.html"]OCN BOOK CLUB[/URL][/CENTER][/B]
[/CODE]

Books that have been talked about to date: (02/29/2012)

Quicksilver, by Neil Stephenson. Steam Punk
It is set in the Late 16th - Early 17th century and seems to be a tale of the Struggle between the great minds of those centuries with each other and the socio-political environment they are ensconced in. As well, there is a certain mystical/metaphisical element involved, but at this point it isn't fully clear.

Rich Man Poor Man, by Irwin Shaw. Fiction novel.
It's about a family of 5 living in America during the second World War. 2 sons and a daughter to an American woman and her German husband (who came to America because he is not a supporter of the Nazis). Brilliant classic tale full of ironic twists. It gives an account of the lives of the 3 children.

The Great Santini, by Pat Conroy.

Captains Courageous, by Rudyard Kipling- a total blast from the past about a young rich boy learning how the world really works.

Forge of Christendom, Tom Holland. Non-Fiction
It is a history of the making of Europe from the time Charlemagne on. Extremely informational but a bit dry.

Born to Bite (Argeneau #13) by Lynsay Sands, Romance

Quote:
Legend has it that Armand Argeneau is a killer in the bedroom . . .
But with all three of his late wives meeting unfortunate and untimely ends, is this sexy immortal a lover or a murderer? That's what Eshe d'Aureus intends to find out.
As an enforcer, it's her job to bring rogue vampires to justice, even if the rogue in question makes her blood race red hot.

The Omen Machine: A Richard and Kahlan Story, Terry Goodkind, Fantasy
Takes place after the conclusion of Confessor.

Law of Nines, Terry Goodkind, Fantasy
Set in Modern America, a young man is drawn into a mutli-dimensional mystery.

Vacation, Jeremy C Shipp, Dystopian society

Quote:
It's time for blueblood Bernard Johnson to leave his boring life behind and go on The Vacation, a yearlong corporate-sponsored odyssey.
But instead of seeing the world, Bernard is captured by terrorists, becomes a key figure in secret drug wars, and, worse, doesn't once miss his secure American Dream.

A wonderfully written novel that reads like Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four on steroids laced with LSD. Definitely worth your time.

First Book of Swords, Fred Saberhagen, Fantasy

Quote:
The Swords of Power are created by the god Vulcan. Each has its own unique magical ability, and they are powerful enough to affect the mythological gods that exist within the series.
The plot of the entire series revolves around the finding, acquiring, stealing, using, and eventual destroying of the Swords for purposes good or evil.

Somewhat simplistic, but almost refreshingly so...

The Second Book of Swords, Fred Saberhagen, Fantasy.

Quote:
Mark and Ben strive to find a great hidden treasure trove where multiple Swords might be found.

Well of Ascension, Brandon Sanderson, Fantasy.

Quote:
This is the follow up to Mistborn. Vin, Elend, and the rest of the Crew strive to establish Order after the fall of the Lord Ruler.

Century Rain, Alastair Reynolds, SciFi

Quote:
It takes place in a future where our world is no longer habitable. A copy of the past world has been found in which history has been subtly altered and drama occurs over its fate.
Lucifer's Hammer, Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven, SciFi

Quote:
Covers the events leading up to, and following the impact of a comet on the Earth. Includes two mostly fictional NASA scientists describing the comet with a hot fudge sundae analogy.
Blade of Tyshalle, Matthew Stover, SciFi/Fantasy

Quote:
...the second book in the ongoing Acts of Caine novel cycle. Like Heroes Die it focuses on Hari Michaelson and his struggles on Earth and Overworld.
Turing Evolved, David Kitson, SciFi

Quote:
When Ex-DEMON pilot Jon Carlson meets beautiful humanitarian Rachel, it's a match made in HEAVEN. Literally, because Rachel's an ANGEL. She's also an AI controlled android of immense power and capability. As Jon finds himself drawn into the world of these enigmatic creations of mankind, he unknowingly becomes involved in a program to create autonomous superweapons intended to fight the next war.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson, Fiction/Crime Drama

Quote:
A 40 year old murder must be solved and a young woman from an alternative life background is just the person to do it. I know it's a poor synopsis, but this one's hard to summarize.
The Girl who Played with Fire, Stieg Larsson, Fiction/Crime Drama

Quote:
Salander is the main suspect in a riveting triple homicide. This novel moves quicker than the first but is every bit engaging.
Battle Royale, Koushun Takami. Fantasy.

Quote:
Battle Royale is an extremely good read. It's basically what the idea of the Hunger Games was so obviously borrowed from. This has been quite a debate, I won't go off about it here. But alas, If you read and liked the premise of the Hunger Games, read this book. Or even if you haven't. 42 Japanese students are thrown on an island and made to fight to the death. The island is zoned and every hour a couple zones are marked as forbidden. The kids wear necklaces that will explode if they try to leave the island or enter a forbidden zone. The whole book takes place in 24 hours I believe. You will get sucked in.
Deathstalker, Simon R. Green. Fantasy.

Quote:
My favorite series of all time is Deathstalker. Very fast read, 9 books, covers every topic possible. It's a space opera. Like Star Wars. It's seriously amazing. I could go on for hours about this series, and you would have to read it to believe half of what I said. Follows Owen Deathstalker, a scholar who just wants to mind his own business(typical). He basically gets thrown into a galactic space war. I really can't say a lot out of fear of spoiling something for a potential reader. Interesting characters, fast paced. A little overwhelming at first, but once you learn all of the characters you will be on edge when a new chapter begins, frantically thinking, "Oh yeah! I forgot how intense this next part is going to be." Every chapter.
Malus Darkblade, Dan Abnett & Mike Lee. Fantasy.

Quote:
If you like evil characters being the main character, Malus Darkblade is awesome. Set in the Warhammer universe. Follows a dark elf who will basically stop at nothing to get what he wants. This book has everything evil in it, deceiving, treachery, torture, human slaves, etc... This book is definitely out of the ordinary. It's the only book I have come across that is so blatantly dark. Malus always finds a way out of any situation. His cunning ways and tenacity always puts him ahead. Oh, it always helps that his nauglir(riding beast) is named Spite.

We are currently reading:

The Ghost in the Wires, Kevin Mitnick, Autobioghraphical, 2011

Quote:
Tells the story of Kevin's adventures as the Most Wanted Hacker of the Modern Age, Starting when he was a teen until current.

·
Banned
5,782 Posts
Rich Man Poor Man, by Irwin Shaw. Fiction novel.
It's about a family of 5 living in America during the second World War. 2 sons and a daughter to an American woman and her German husband (who came to America because he is not a supporter of the Nazis). Brilliant classic tale full of ironic twists. It gives an account of the lives of the 3 children.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
subbed, and will post soon

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSDCrusher View Post
I am currently reading The Great Santini, by Pat Conroy.
Wow, that is an intense story. Enjoy the Catharsis.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Abusive dad... submissive wife.... bad marriage...
Sorry, but it's been a while since I read it (20+ years).

Here is the wiki for it.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
im looking for a good book to read preferably sci fi. Like a bioshock novel

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhowatt View Post
im looking for a good book to read preferably sci fi. Like a bioshock novel

I don't know bioshock from ham & rye. But there are a bazillion good sci-fi novels at the major Book Vendors.

Off hand, I recommend:

Neuromancer - Cyberpunk's first novel.

Neil Stephensen's Diamond Age novels.

These should lead you to more.

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Maybe if you want to post spoilers just use
SPOILER TAG!!!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
just read neuromancer- an amazing glimpse into a realistic future
followed by captains courageous by Rudyard Kipling- a total blast from the past about a young rich boy learning how the world really works

both were amazingly well written, and i have just begun reading captain blood by Rafael Sabatini (pirates)

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by reedo View Post
just read neuromancer- an amazing glimpse into a realistic future
followed by captains courageous- a total blast from the past about a young rich boy learning how the world really works

both were amazingly well written, and i have just begun reading captain blood (pirates)
Who is the author of this?

oh, and weirdo, I didn't use your Spoiler correctly, lol. It works. But I still think it would be better to just not post spoilers, too tempting to view.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
authors fixed, except neuromancer sorry, didnt have the books in front of me
P.S. love the heck out of calculon

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Futurama FTW!

Neuromancer is William Gibson.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forge of Christendom, Tom Holland.

I started reading this last week. It is a history of the making of Europe from the time Charlemagne on. Extremely informational but a bit dry.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grishkathefool View Post
Thanks, Futurama FTW!

Neuromancer is William Gibson.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forge of Christendom, Tom Holland.

I started reading this last week. It is a history of the making of Europe from the time Charlemagne on. Extremely informational but a bit dry.
Ive actually read this, it is definitely a dry read, but absolutely worth it imho

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
cmon folks lets get reading

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol.

Thanks for the bump.

It is taking me a while to get through Forge... alas.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've made it through cap'n blood just haven't had time to do much outside of work lately, i miss working at a beer store where i could read a book a day

1 - 20 of 119 Posts