Overclock.net banner

What GW2 server would you like the OCN Guild to play on?

• Anvil Rock (US)

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Norhtern Shiverpeaks (US)

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Fort Aspenwood (US)

Votes: 35 46.1%
  • Isle of Janthir (US)

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Far Shiverpeaks (EU)

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Ring of Fire (EU)

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Fissure of Woe (EU)

Votes: 3 3.9%
1 - 20 of 512 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OCN Guild Wars 2 Guild..guild

The server we will be playing on is FORT ASPENWOOD

Organized PVP Sign Up

News
  • Hey Everyone!

For the holiday's I've decided to do a sort of giveaway for OCN Guild Wars 2 Guild members. Each week of December I'm going to post a question with some random subject area. Over that given period members can mail me their answer in game along with a number, preferably in the subject line. The reward will be a random stack of 250 materials (I won't skimp out on you don't worry). You can of course enter more than once but you can't win more than once unfortunately, that wouldn't be fair to other members of the guild!

I've decided to make it a requirement that you be in the guild since it makes it that much easier to keep track. I will invite members still so it's not an issue at all if you're not in the guild yet. The first question will most likely be posted on Saturday, December 1st. Any questions, feel free to PM me ^_^

Happy Holidays to you all!

Useful Links
  1. GW2 Intro / Refresher
  2. For those that are interested the guild sign up sheet is available here: GUILD SIGN UP SHEET

I have been considering seeing if we can use this as our main Mumble server since I don't know anyone that would really want to front the cost of a Vent/Mumble server for this guild. If anyone has any objections and or other ideas they are completely welcome until this coming Monday at which point I will be contacting GW2Guru for a private slot for about 20 people.

If you're unsure if you've signed up or perhaps if there are corrections that you'd like made then here is a spreadsheet of all of those who have signed up.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AtfJSkbYJKqddFV6dFI5SkhZR2tYSFpMQUFnNGZ0X1E&output=html&widget=true

Guides (None made by me)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaStatus View Post

Here's a Cooking Guide for those of you asking for it.
I took info from various websites and changed some info around so that you could level up cooking without gathering too many mats.
It will cost about 2 gold and 2k karma.
(0) Ball of Dough
Bag of Flour (80 copper per 10) - Chef crafting vendor
Stick of Butter (21 karma per 25) - Chef crafting vendor
Jug of Water (80 copper per 10) - Chef crafting vendor
(25) Ball of Cookie Dough
Egg (21 karma per 25) - Chef crafting vendor
Bag of Sugar (80 copper per 10) - Chef crafting vendor
(50) Chili Pepper Popper
Cheese Wedge (21 karma per 25) - Chef crafting vendor
Chili Pepper (21 karma per 25) - (Renown) Milton Book, Cornucopian Fields, Gendarran Fields
(75) Bowl of White Frosting
Jug of Water (80 copper per 10) - Chef crafting vendor
Vanilla Bean (21 karma per 25) - (Renown) Milton Book, Cornucopian Fields, Gendarran Fields
(100) Pile of Paprika
Bell Pepper (21 karma per 25) - Chef crafting vendor
Chili Pepper (21 karma per 25) - (Renown) Milton Book, Cornucopian Fields, Gendarran Fields
(125) Bowl of Chocolate Frosting
Bowl of White Frosting - Premade
Chocolate Bar (21 karma per 25) - Chef crafting vendor
(150) Chocolate Cherry
Cherry (35 karma per 25) - (Renown) Lieutenant Summers, Nightguard Beach, Harathi Hinterlands
(175) Cherry Tart
Ball of Dough (premade) - Chef crafting vendor
Cherry (35 karma per 25) - (Renown) Lieutenant Summers, Nightguard Beach, Harathi Hinterlands
(200) Bowl of Chocolate Cherry Frosting
Bowl of Chocolate Frosting - Premade
(225) Chocolate Orange
Orange (35 karma per 25) - (Renown) Cesselia, Bloodtide Coast (southeast)
(250) Ginger Pear Tart
Ginger Root (21 karma per 25)
Pear (35 karma per 25) - Iron Marches, Champion's Shield, Devourer's Nest
(275) Bowl of Orange Coconut Frosting
Bags of Sugar (80 copper per 10) - Chef crafting vendor
Bowl of Sour Cream (21 karma per 25) - Chef crafting vendor
Coconut (35 karma per 25) - (Renown) Lionscout Tunnira, Archen Foreland, Bloodtide Coast
(275) Orange Cake
Egg (21 karma per 25) - Chef crafting vendor
Bowl of Baker's Dry Ingredients (320 copper per 10) - Chef crafting vendor ingredients x4
(275) Orange Coconut Cake
Orange Cake - Premade
Orange Coconut Frosting - Premade
(300) Peach Cookie
Ball of Cookie Dough - Premade
Peach (35 karma per 25) - (Renown) Noc Chief, Fireheart Rise (west)
(325) Raspberry Peach Compote
Raspberry - Gathering nodes in Fireheart Rise
(325) Plates of Steak and Asparagus
Pile of salt and pepper (premade)
Asparagus spear - Gathering nodes in Fireheart Rise
Slab of Red meat - Drop from animals
(350) Raspberry Peach Bar
Raspberry Peach Compote - Premade
Bowl of Baker's Wet Ingredients (84 karma per 25) - Chef crafting vendor ingredients x4
Bowl of Baker's Dry Ingredients (320 copper per 10) - Chef crafting vendor ingredients x4
(350) Peach Tart
Ball of Dough - Premade
(375) Bowl of Peach Pie Filling
(375) Peach Pie
Ball of Dough - Premade
Bowl of Peach Pie Filling - Premade
First of all, let me start off by saying that that the reward from WvW is those badges. You need those for things. There are enough mobs to do your daily achievements. Attack/defend keeps and supply camps and sentries AND towers are all events in WvW that reward just like every other event. Past that, some of those boosts are awesome for leveling new characters. 20% crit crafting chance is a huge chuck of experience. You don't need to loot players directly, if you kill someone the bag spawns at your feet and you pick it up. I don't know how more direct it needs to get. Not to mention that every other genre on face of the earth is played for fun and doesn't always give out rewards, but that's a discussion for another thread and since you clearly aren't having fun, it doesn't really apply.
Next up is siege equipment. I cannot stress enough how important siege is. #1, you can't get into keeps without it. Banging on the door is stupid. Use a ram on doors or a catapult to take down walls. #2, you can use it to counter zergs. #3, when well placed, siege provides huge amounts of pressure in that it can cut off supply lines and prevent the enemy from building siege.

#2 is very important. Everyone is complaining about zergs but nobody does anything about it. Build a single arrow cart on a wall of your keep, and even one person can deter a medium zerg from rushing it. Keep in mind, the map is DESIGNED to be used with siege equipment. Ever notice how there are certain choke points, or mini-towers just in range of a big fortress? How about the cliffs that are placed near capture points but they have nice ledges all the way down that are big enough to build on? All of those places might as well have a huge sign that says, "BUILD SIEGE HERE!" Ballista's work great on targets in a line, trebuchets are long range heavy hitters, arrow carts are quick/cheap zerg counters, catapults are for walls, and rams are for doors. Now, time for a story:

Two zergs were going back and forth between two towers with a raised area in the middle connected to either side by narrow bridges. I solo-built a treb in our tower to land poison cows in the middle area. We pushed their zerg off the middle and back into their tower. We set up catapults in the middle to destroy their walls, but they had a treb safely in the back of their tower who kept destroying our siege. We tucked a ballista just out of reach to keep the narrow bridge clear. Another guy built us a treb just barely in range of their treb and we ran supply to finish it while the zergs were doing stupid things. I hopped in our new treb, destroyed their treb, then kept people off of their walls with more cows while the zerg set up catapults to destroy the walls. They ran out of supply during the siege from repairing their walls so they couldn't rebuild the treb or the walls, and we took the tower.

Without supply and siege, the battle above would have been two zergs stuck in a boring stalemate. If you have 0 supply, you are probably losing. Make sure to take supply camps, kill Dolyaks, and BUILD SIEGE. There are too many people for you to be a unique little snowflake pretending to be Rambo. Build for mobility so you can move supply around quickly and your runs back will be shorter if you die. My warrior WvW build is constant speed boosts for everyone around me (horn + banners + shouts) and I think Thieves and Eles can be even quicker. Upgrade your keeps with oil to counter rams, and waypoints are insanely helpful. Cannons are hugely powerful as well.

Bring at least one ranged weapon so you can be part of the zerg when you need too. Immobilize is an instant death sentence, bring something to deal with it or to cause it. Pull spells are useful too if you have one. Pay attention to the chat, people should be talking and letting you know where the enemy zerg is moving. Don't go where they are, go where they will be next and get that arrow cart built. Don't fight if you can't win, especially if you are far from the nearest waypoint. Use that mobility build and book it to the nearest safepoint.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So does that mean that one of the aspects that everyone takes into consideration is the availability of other guilds/friends? I would try to incorporate that into the decision but I think that's near impossible.

·
Banned
3,914 Posts
rofl, those voting anvil rock better reconsider. you want to be able to have friends join you in the future? wanna play WvW without a half hour wait? don't choose a server that is already full.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCLimax View Post

rofl, those voting anvil rock better reconsider. you want to be able to have friends join you in the future? wanna play WvW without a half hour wait? don't choose a server that is already full.
It'd be interesting to see the rationale behind the individual decisions for voting on a particular server since as of now there isn't really a clear winner in terms of a landslide victory. I guess only time will tell, there are about 40 people signed up to join the guild as of now though so I'm hoping we can satisfy a good majority of those players with this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I signed up. Im down for some epic WvW pvp and some epic late game dungeon raids. Lets put OCN on the map in GW2

·
Registered
50 Posts
I voted Fort Aspenwood. Can't access the guild sign up sheet from work. smh

·
Registered
90 Posts
I voted Fort Aspenwood as well. From info drawn from the betas it was one of the servers with a medium-low amount of online communities playing. So if that holds up everyone here should get in no problem, but we'll also have some fellow groups to team up with. Hopefully.

Either way I have no investment in any of the servers so ill go where ocn goes.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
670 Posts
id wish yaks bend would be option from the looks of it Fort Aspenwood is going to be one of the most populated servers next to sorrows furnace for US.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAlkaiser View Post

id wish yaks bend would be option from the looks of it Fort Aspenwood is going to be one of the most populated servers next to sorrows furnace for US.
Hmm what sites are saying that? I chose these based off of what I saw from the last stress and beta tests. Yaks Bend wasn't one of the full ones but it wasn't one of the more active ones either from the research I did. I mean I could add it if you want but I feel like I did okay in picking the options for the guild server. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiin View Post

I'm going to jade quarry since I'm more into Spvp/pvp/Wvw then pve. http://www.asuralabs.com/serverPoll.php
Haha I was just about to post that same link in here as well, although it only has about 17000 hits compared to the entire population of GW2 players but I think it's fairly indicative of certain websites that have linked to it like reddit etc.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Can't believe this game is arriving finally... I voted For Aspenwood myself

Edit* Noticed that my guild registration is a tad outdated. Going Necromancer
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
im still struggling whether I should main my thief at OCN server or whatever server my co-worker will be in

it does matter quite a bit because I have very limited play time, an hour a day during low season at work, probably 2 hours a day if you count me standing around in the game while I eat my late night dinner

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisLam View Post

im still struggling whether I should main my thief at OCN server or whatever server my co-worker will be in
Why not both? Convince the feller to join the main OCN server (which looks like it's going to be Fort Aspenwood at this rate btw). Then all your problems are solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhasttas View Post

Can't believe this game is arriving finally... I voted For Aspenwood myself
Edit* Noticed that my guild registration is a tad outdated. Going Necromancer
rolleyes.gif
Fixed it on the spreadsheet for you. Any updates to Guild Wars 2 Usernames are helpful too. During headstart I'm going to be adding everyone on the list and then coming back here to report who I couldn't add to the guild.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelamacmdr View Post

Why not both? Convince the feller to join the main OCN server (which looks like it's going to be Fort Aspenwood at this rate btw). Then all your problems are solved
we aren't exactly buddies. We've just been talking about it a lot lately cuz he got excited from knowing about this game, and he knows i looked forward to it even before D3 (he didnt know of GW before), but we weren't very close before this.

He also has other friends that would play the game, so its really not up to me.

its not like it really matters all that much if even my main is gonna receive play time of an hour a day, i can barely participate in anything lol...

1 - 20 of 512 Posts