1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
It actually looks well done, I was worried. Hopefully the trailer isn't just the best parts lol

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
should be OK, seems like they've paid attention to the dark & gritty, which folks may or may not realize is more true to the series than the game ever indicated. The darkest thing we got was the Botchling.

by dark I mean the darkness of man. Not Night Elf Mohawks running around trying to capture ciri all the time.

• Rep+
Reactions: ToTheSun!

·
Something
415 Posts
Let's see how much wokeness it has.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
:(

just enough to lulz and inflame.

I'd love to know how many fans of the game ever ended up picking up a book, or how many fans of the game had read a book before it became a game? (the curiosity only stems from where folks learned the lore.. NOT from a "I READ THE FUGGIN BOOK!" hipster level)

I got lucky & found them pre-game. Airports would often have them at eye level when I was younger. Same for the Metro series actually... hmmm...

the whole "get woke, go broke" thing is 100% true. Why? Probably because its woefully apparent when a product is pandering.

·
AMD Acolyte
1,708 Posts

I'd love to know how many fans of the game ever ended up picking up a book, or how many fans of the game had read a book before it became a game? (the curiosity only stems from where folks learned the lore.. NOT from a "I READ THE FUGGIN BOOK!" hipster level)

I got lucky & found them pre-game. Airports would often have them at eye level when I was younger. Same for the Metro series actually... hmmm...

the whole "get woke, go broke" thing is 100% true. Why? Probably because its woefully apparent when a product is pandering.
It's funny, show-runners(not necessarily these show-runners) openly deride those who speak out against "recasting" and act as if they are morally superior, even though their pandering attempts to buy brownie points are so transparent it becomes downright insulting to those who don't mind minority characters - or even prefer them. So first they insult one half of the audience by pulling a bait & switch on popular characters, then they insult the other half by acting as if "representation" is as simple as ticking a checkbox. No-one is happy and the show-runners act as if it's our fault. I really want this show to succeed but I'm trying to temper my expectations; I've been let down too many times lately.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
I'm not expecting a whole lot, and yes. This is what happens when you listen to social media. A system designed to amplify the minority voice into sounding like a sane 99% opinion. The issue then becomes having enough stability of self to realize what is real, and what is not.

·
Old and Crochity
5,275 Posts
This looks, really really good. Lets see how adult and dark they make it. If I don't see decapitation and nudity it's not living up to Witcher standards.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
flat out plane and true, thru and thru, from paper to pixel.

it needs to make r\writtenbymen break, and not cuz gamer, cuz canon. LOL

·
Hardware Princess
1,849 Posts
I'm ready for the "netflix adaptation" memes lol

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I've just played the games.
Didn't finish the first, liked the second quite a bit and awaited the third with great anticipation and it exceeded my expectations. After the first game, the second exceeded my expectations as well.
Partly because I expected the games to be a continuation of the previous one. The story was, but the games were different, bigger, better.

I didn't read the books and they are probably better than this will be. I also won't before I watch this. Not just because of the time trade off, but also because I don't want to heft a new set of standards to judge this show by.
I'm pretty sure this show is made for more than just those who have already read the books. I also like that it is based on the books, which I do not have direct knowledge of, but still have respect for.
This way the show can be different from the game and still not let me down by not being true to my comparisons.
It's not going to be literal or perfect, it's Netflix. Hopefully my plan for intentional ignorance will pay off. :p

I can read the books after and I won't have any problems with them not matching up to the Netflix series.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Didn't finish the first, liked the second quite a bit and awaited the third with great anticipation and it exceeded my expectations. After the first game, the second exceeded my expectations as well.
Partly because I expected the games to be a continuation of the previous one. The story was, but the games were different, bigger, better.

I didn't read the books and they are probably better than this will be. I also won't before I watch this. Not just because of the time trade off, but also because I don't want to heft a new set of standards to judge this show by.
I'm pretty sure this show is made for more than just those who have already read the books. I also like that it is based on the books, which I do not have direct knowledge of, but still have respect for.
This way the show can be different from the game and still not let me down by not being true to my comparisons.
It's not going to be literal or perfect, it's Netflix. Hopefully my plan for intentional ignorance will pay off. :p

I can read the books after and I won't have any problems with them not matching up to the Netflix series.
Thats why I never ended up picking up the books. I love the witcher lore I know today and don't want to mess with that. It ruined Game of thrones for me, I watched the first couple episodes then read all the books then the show was just crap. I only started watching again cuase they went ahead of the books.

·
waifu for lifu
11,616 Posts
No unicorn scene. No view.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts

it'll be fine, either way. :p

yep, #1 and #2 were definitely more like sneak peaks of what's to come. I'd be hard pressed to recommend anyone play one, if they started @ 2 or 3, unless they're absolute fanatics.

in other news, cyberpunk is meh. All I care about is W4: Ciri's story.

·
Registered
784 Posts

I had never heard of The Witcher until I played the first game. Immediately after playing the first I sought out all the books I could find that were translated.
Been a huge fan ever since.

It doesn't hold up super great nowadays but I really enjoyed the first game when it came out. Played it so much. If I remember right it was running on a modified Bioware engine or something.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
yep, I remember finishing it and being like "EPIC DEMO, GIMME A FULL GAME!" then with #2 being like "AMAZING, NOW OPEN UP THE WORLD! SCOPE X10!" witcher 3 "FANFLIPPING TASTIC! NOW FLESH OUT THAT CIRI YOU TEASED US WITH!!!"

something tells me Witcher 4 will be actual next gen, unlike CP2077

to quote the interwebs -

REDengine is a game engine developed by CD Projekt Red exclusively for their nonlinear role-playing video games. It is the replacement of the Aurora Engine CD Projekt Red had previously licensed from BioWare for the development of The Witcher.

so yes, you're correct :D

·
Why is it smoking?
4,072 Posts
For those of you who have played the games but haven't read the books - in my opinion these games didn't really miss much from the books. The games are a fairly faithful adaptation, and the only noticeable absence is that in the games, the sex, violence, racism, and language was toned down a bit to appeal to a wider audience. I can't remember anything too terrible that happened in the books but not the games, but CD Projekt caught a lot of flack for the "sex cards" in Witcher 1, and it kind of forced them to play it safe so that they could actually sell games without the threat of national bans or boycotts. Things you can put into a book don't necessarily translate well to a screen.

With that said, Dec 20 is my first day of christmas break. I know what I'll be doing :)

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Thats why I never ended up picking up the books. I love the witcher lore I know today and don't want to mess with that. It ruined Game of thrones for me, I watched the first couple episodes then read all the books then the show was just crap. I only started watching again cuase they went ahead of the books.
You're reading the GOT books first had no affect on David Benioff and D. B. Weiss ruining the show. They ruined it all on their own.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
For those of you who have played the games but haven't read the books - in my opinion these games didn't really miss much from the books. The games are a fairly faithful adaptation, and the only noticeable absence is that in the games, the sex, violence, racism, and language was toned down a bit to appeal to a wider audience. I can't remember anything too terrible that happened in the books but not the games, but CD Projekt caught a lot of flack for the "sex cards" in Witcher 1, and it kind of forced them to play it safe so that they could actually sell games without the threat of national bans or boycotts. Things you can put into a book don't necessarily translate well to a screen.

With that said, Dec 20 is my first day of christmas break. I know what I'll be doing :)
thanks for that, I had assumed the cards went away due to poor taste / ESRB rating, but I still think it should be an epic tier of gwent ;)

1 - 20 of 274 Posts