Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the Painters Club of OCN. This will be a place you can ask any and all questions about painting Computer cases and components.

Reasons for this club.
This is a place members are welcome to ask questions about any computer related painting they may have. This covers everything from Cases, speaker boxes, even a custom desk. There are many types of paints, bonding agents, additives, and epoxy's now days. I feel we can lead them into the right direction to achieve the right quality, finish, and effect they are looking for.

Rules to join.
I ask that you have some kind of experience painting. I prefer in a professional painting environment, whether it be automotive, or industrial. I also ask that you show something you have painted, it can be sent to me by PM or email. This is to verify only, I will not judge skills or anything like that. as a painter I know we all have our own area of expertise. I will accept members who use rattle cans as I have seen some nice paint jobs in the mod sections that look like they have been done with HVLP. Members with wood painting skills are welcome as well. I am trying to get a broad rage of painters to be able to cover anything we can run into.

Members:

The Fryer
Kingchris
CallAMedic4U
Hanoverfist
NASzi
Bertovzki

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Since I haven't seen anybody else respond yet, I figured I'd throw in my two bits.

I think it's a good idea, but likely a slow starter here. Most will either send out the painting to be done professionally, or will do it themselves with rattle cans. I would personally love to do painting professionally, but I don't have the space or equipment for that. I do have a friend who does, and I may drag my current build out to his shop and borrow his equipment for it.

As far as rattle cans, that's pretty well covered here and on the net. I don't consider myself to be a pro painter, and I certainly don't know everything. I'm proficient with the rattle cans, and pretty decent with an airbrush. I've done a small amount of work with HVLP on aircraft. I know how to get good results. I also tend to spend too much time cruising the forums and giving assistance in other areas. It's tempting to add myself in here as well, but just don't have the time.

I'm not convinced we need a special club/section just for this. Would be happy to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Perfect time for this thread to come up! Where are all the guides for painting case fans? Could of swore I saw a bunch around a year ago on OCN. Can't find them now.

Edit: haha, there's a sticky on fan painting right here in case mods section
doh.gif
. That's one, more is always nice.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the biggest thing about painting is the prep work. if you do not have a good start than the finish will not be as good. i see alot of them where they pull a fan or shroud of and just prime and paint, or just paint. while some of them look decent, the paint will not hold its shine, and sometimes will chip/ crack/ or flake off. i need to write a few guides. one for plastics and one for metal, then maybe one for stuff that will flex or bend. i will start on it soon.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice. i have yet to really see anyone spray water based on anything, good to see someone has the knowledge to. i spray poly and enamel daily at work, and use from a 1.8 tip to a 1.4 tip depending on the finish and paint i need to use. i have sprayed latex paint some, but i don't like running it through an 800.00 HVLP. do you use a cup or bag system on your gun?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
my last build i painted with rattle cans, and i can still see the overspray in the shed. i will be painting all my builds this way from now on, little to no overspray and min amount of paint used.

the good thing about this paint is, you clean up with water. i also use small 120 ml bottle and fill the cups up with them. so much easier then when i was auto painting back in england.

only thing i still have to clear coat

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are you using some sort of ventilation in the shed to keep fumes and over spray down? i had 2 vents in my shed for when i spray at home, they had high flow fans mounted in them. it made an updraft booth and it worked well. how ever if i make another one for painting in i am going to mount them close to the floor and put filters in them. then a vent in the roof for fresh air to come in. a down draft booth will give you a lot less over spray on everything. i paint everything now at work because i can get way better paint jobs there than i can at home. lol. also what kind of clear coat do you use over the water paint? regular automotive polyurethane?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
yes just single pack clear, i can get hold of 2 pack, i have to do a price cost first. i will post a link of how much over spray you get using this stuff. its where i get all my stuff from.

Air brush water based paints

i only open the door on the shed, after you see the vid you will understand, it did take me a while to get that there is no overspray, when you have an automotive paint background.
rolleyes.gif

( side note - painted one car late at nite and didnt have the fans running,got the roof done and had to run outside, i couldnt see a thing
biggrin.gif
)

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh wow.. that's cool, i like it.. yeah i feel ya on the filling a shed with a cloud.. lol.. i did it with a metallic silver before. it was cool though because when i open the door this rainbow fallowed me out..lol. i was only doing a small door though. i could imagine how bad a whole roof would be.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadeter View Post

Looking to get paint guns and/or an airbrush soon. Already have an air compressor. Any recommendations?
That would depend on what you are going to be spraying. for polyurethane i would recommend a decent HVLP gun, they type with the cup on top for the paint, and a tip around 1.3-1.5. this will make it ok to spray primer, and better for color and clear's. i actually use a 1.4 at work, but i have the HVLP with a bag system. much cleaner than using cups but cost a little more.

For Enamel i would say get a siphon feed gun. it has a cup on the bottom and uses high pressure and causes a vacuum in the gun to get the paint up and out, but it seems to do a nicer job with Enamel's. also the spray tips are normally a little bigger allowing the paint to flow better to give you better coverage.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Awesome! i was looking for something like this. So, i am an artist myself and i would very much like to do a design on my 500r, a very specific design. I have little to no experience with an airbrush nor did i intend on buying one, is there any kind of paint that i can buy that will not flake off or crack over time? i would be hand painting this BTW...Thanks!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok i will do a little about my background as to show i can paint.. lol.. i know it is hard to listen to someone you know nothing about. I work for a company making Architectural Signs. i have been paint them for 5 years now. before that i painted custom cars professionally for 2 years till i relocated to another town. before that i did it as a hobby, along with computers and motorcycles,lol.. hear is a few pictures for you.

My spray gun, Devilbliss CVI, with a 1.4 tip and a bag/liner system.

and hear is some of my work.
4'x5'

4'x5'

12'hx2'dx14'w

I have a ton more but they have company names on them so i can not post them without consent of the proper company's.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts