Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It hasn't happened to me recently, but I get so tired of reading though news threads only to have people make one word replies saying "REPOST!"
Really people what is the benefit of saying that? Most likely the person is linking a different article, and even if their not, even their (reposted) news post is still more helpful than you re-post trolls are. At least have the decency to say something like, "This was also mentioned in this thread" or "Here's another post on the same topic." Just saying "repost" or "old news" or "already posted" is not helpful and is not in keeping with the the image OCN has worked so hard to create.
Thank you,

/rant

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
I particularly despise the "old news" folks, who come in and say "I've known about this for years!", and don't say anything else.

If they say that, but follow up with,

"It was in such and such stage back then and now.....(details of progression)",

I welcome it. But simply saying you knew about something before everybody else doesn't contribute anything.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
It is symptomatic of the poor social behavior of many people in many situations. It seems everyone looks for every opportunity to sound smug or attack someone on petty and inconsequential grounds.

Also, everyone seems to be in some competition to be e funny.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _02 View Post
It is symptomatic of the poor social behavior of many people in many situations. It seems everyone looks for every opportunity to sound smug or attack someone on petty and inconsequential grounds.
Exactly!
Why the need to be so confrontational / combative all the time?

Just a waste of energy if you ask me...

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:

http://jitendragupta.com/2007/02/21/...-jerks-online/

Unfortunately it is becoming more of an accepted norm in online discourse, and will soon (if not already) be subsumed into the culture at large as expected behavior.
I can see that; of course there's also those who go a step further and use it as a means to act out in ways they can't IRL...

My sentiments aside; taking that approach simply because the conditions are conducive just exhibits a lack of respect and consideration despite the argument presented.
Even with the technological disconnect we're all still "here" and should treat each other as such

·
Premium Member
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

http://jitendragupta.com/2007/02/21/...-jerks-online/

Unfortunately it is becoming more of an accepted norm in online discourse, and will soon (if not already) be subsumed into the culture at large as expected behavior.
Good link, I'd rep you but your a mod

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
I particularly despise the "old news" folks, who come in and say "I've known about this for years!", and don't say anything else.

If you they say that, but follow up with, "It was in such and such stage back then and now", I welcome it. But simply saying you knew about something before everybody else doesn't contribute anything.
Ya, I've been seeing those guys for ages.

But ya, I agree with you OP.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by candy_van View Post
Even with the technological disconnect we're all still "here" and should treat each other as such

I completely agree.

I treat everyone with respect, as long as they can return basic respect to me. I can even deal with respecting others who have strong opinions which are opposed to mine.

What I can not and will not tolerate is disrespect. From anyone. Ever.

I don't understand how people operate in a mode of disrespect. They must lead sad lives.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I hate it when they do this too. It's like they die a little inside each time they see a repeat thread.

OCN even has a policy in place to deal with reposts. Report it, move on. Yet they still insist on thread crapping

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3lancer2006 View Post
Stop posting reposts and actually search next time?
In some people's defense, the search feature isn't exactly reliable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts