Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We read it here and there and dont put too much thought into it, until now ! If we are serious about being a world force boinc team then all we need is 11.5 million/day average to put us in the top ten.......we are not to far off of this mark currently we run 7 miilion/day so we need new members or we all purchase one more 5850 reference and change it to 5870 bios.......or maybe two

anyway that is what is needed per day and I know we are up to the challenge

cheers.gif

·
Registered
182 Posts
pardon my ignorance what team number are you guys? I'm new to folding, but still am knowledgeable on what's it about. Just curious, I'm probably want to switch teams.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibew112;11913552
We read it here and there and dont put too much thought into it, until now ! If we are serious about being a world force boinc team then all we need is 11.5 million/day average to put us in the top ten.......we are not to far off of this mark currently we run 7 miilion/day so we need new members or we all purchase one more 5850 reference and change it to 5870 bios.......or maybe two

anyway that is what is needed per day and I know we are up to the challenge

cheers.gif
My new 2UP BOINC box will be up and running next weekend once the final parts arrive (hopefully next week) and with 3x 5850's all overclocked to 900/1000 and a couple 4870's at 800/1000 it should crunch 1M ppd
devil.gif

And with DarkRyder's secret weapon up and running now as well as the upgrades done to manu's and Gill's rigs this month, I recon we might just be able to hit 11.5M ppd when we are all running 24/7 properly (and when the DNETC or [email protected] WU's don't run dry)
tongue.gif

Still, I'll try get a few more on our team too, maybe try pouch them from overclockers.com or hardocp since we have cruised past them
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
117 Posts
If I had the money to pay more for the electric bill I could pop in a few more 5850s and build a new dedicated crunching rig...push out another 1-1.25 mill per day.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Do you (or your parents) own your house? If so, get a solar power system installed and it´ll offset the power your rigs would use with the extra GPUs running 24/7
smile.gif

In Australia, the local power utility company will install a 1.5kw or 2.5kw system for a simple no interest monthly repayment (cost divided by 12 or 24) - approx $299/month for the 1.5kwh system after rebate and approx $500/month for the 2.5kwh system after gov rebate).

Plus, in Australia we have what is called ¨feed in tariff¨ where the power utility company will pay you for the extra power your system puts back into the power grid - you get 50c/kwh
smile.gif

I´ve worked out that if I had a 2.5kw system, my rigs could consume 1kw of power every hour and the quarterly power bill would still end up being lower then it is now
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes they own the house, but I believe we looked into that already, we would get almost no output from them in winter because of the angle of the sun. Yay being above the 45 degree north mark...and it would take 4 years to recoup the cost of a 2.5 KWh unit.

But ya, my 750W rig runs about $50 per month, it kind of sucks.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Are you in a suburban area or rural (on a farm)? If in rural area, you could install wind turbines that will produce power for you whether the sun is up ot noy - all you need is wind

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm on a farm...I guess I'll have to look into wind again.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
To give you an idea on cost - a 500w/24v wind turbine costs approx $900AU. Then you need to add an inverter (a grid connect one would allow you to get "feed in tariff" if applicable) - a cheap 1100w grid connected inverter will cost approx $1200AU - but that will also allow you to purchase a second wind turbine later on.

So:
$900 - wind turbine
$1200 - grid connected inverter

$2100 - total

So for $2100AU (plus installation), you could generate 500w of wind power (as long as winds speed was at least 22mph).

Or for $3000AU (plus installation), you could add that second wind turbine, and you'd now produce 1kw of wind power an hour (again, as long as wind speed was at least 22mph).

If I lived on a farm, I'd have a couple wind turbines for sure and not have to worry about my PC's increasing the power bill again
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRyder;11917659
if manchesterutd would get his act and all his 5850's in gear, then maybe
tongue.gif
i think i got my act together here i come!!!!

shock.gif

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm actually now looking at the prospects of building my own...I'm having trouble deciding between a traditional windmill style generator, or a Vertical Axis generator...I could generate more power with the Vertical Axis generator, but it would be 4m tall and 2m wide...and possibly heavy...but I shall explore the possibilities...

·
Laptop Gamer
978 Posts
So the 5850 is a good card to run BOINC on? I've been using a couple 8800gts'...(until mobo died). Upgrading mobo to an AM2+, 4 pci-e2.0 board. I'll have room for the 8800's and 2 additional cards. Heck, I can even put a quad or hex core cpu in now!!! I remember how much my points went up from single core to dual. Does anyone have a link to a BOINC/gpu workunits chart? I remember the 9800x2 used to be the card to use... Anyhow, I'll join up as soon as I get my sig rig working again.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just moved back over from Linux to Windows 7 to get the most out of my 5870 - should nearly double my credits now.
wink.gif

I am SO tempted to upgrade to a 5970, but the value of 5870s has dropped so sharply recently that I can't really afford it, and there's no way for me to go Crossfire with this PSU.
frown.gif

1 - 20 of 29 Posts