Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we should have some mods out there for grammar and spelling. I swear that some of these people aren't even trying.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
wut?

Just kidding. I agree but on the net grammar and spelling take second fiddle to interwebz and wimenz

• Rep+
Reactions: yellowtoblerone

·
Premium Member
10,907 Posts
wut r u tlking abotz? lik rly dats not srs bsnss
Ocing iz srs bsnss

but I agree that we should have some sort of script that automatically reformats peoples posts to mostly proper english... things like:

u ->you
ur ->your
u r -> you're
r -> are

etc...

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
You are EXPECTED to:
  • Edit your posts for spelling and grammar. Overclock.net's usability depends on this.
    • Use capitalization
    • No excessive Internet jargon
    • Use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation
  • Treat others with respect at all times
  • Maintain an environment that is friendly to all ages
    • No swearing, racy images etc.
  • Post new threads within the most applicable section of the site
  • Post factual information
  • Link to internal sources of information before linking to external sources - if the information is comparable

The TERMS of SERVICE. HAVE YOU READ THEM?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I'm so glad I'm getting good feedback. I've already received a complaint on my police business through a PM.

·
Science
3,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Powelly View Post
Fantastic point! I agree. Not only spelling and grammar, but formatting of posts too. People that have huge walls of text without paragraphs, and copy/paste links instead of using the 'insert link' button.

RAGE.
I so much don't mind, the copy and pasting of links, cause it auto shortens them so you dont have to see the whole thing.

But everything else should be enforced

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
jooz is dum, it ant no problem. just figre it oot! it is ovos wut i is b say

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the PM in question.

Quote:
OH MY GOSH YOU PUT A EXCLAMATION POINT IN THE WRONG PART OF YOUR SENTENCE OMG OMG ...

When OCN creates a typing police you should join... Untill then SHUT UP..
And just for the record. He/she spelled "Until" incorrectly.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GodofGrunts View Post
Wow, I'm so glad I'm getting good feedback. I've already received a complaint on my police business through a PM.
Like alcohol on an open wound..

THAT MEANS IT'S WORKING!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I actually say no to this.

Just be mature about this. Not everyone knows how to type well either.

And there could be external factors causing people to not type well.
I actually make a lot of typos because this laptop has some failed driver issue with the hardware, so it's not responsive to my typing. It looks like there's no typo now, but I am correcting it before you put me behind bars.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjinsamax3 View Post
I actually say no to this.

Just be mature about this. Not everyone knows how to type well either.

And there could be external factors causing people to not type well.
I actually make a lot of typos because this laptop has some failed driver issue with the hardware, so it's not responsive to my typing. It looks like there's no typo now, but I am correcting it before you put me behind bars.
I'm not asking for every comma and misspelled word to be fixed. I would just like posts like

"OCN nedz ur hlp plox!!!! OCing & geting BSODs hole times. wut am i doin wrng?"

It angers me to no end that people won't take a few seconds to sound semi-intelligent.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Then what does that have to do with grammar?

As long as it is deemed readable, I really have no problem. I guess is preference. Seeing everyone typing the same is lame and boring--in my opinion. Even if we totally enforce this, what are you guys going to do? Give them an infraction? and then not help them because they cannot type "correctly"?

I understand your feelings, but I doubt it will lead to anywhere good.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The TOS is in place for that.
And mods do call people out on it.
When neccessary.

I don't think it's a big deal most of the time, until it just looks like they want to be moronic.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjinsamax3 View Post
Then what does that have to do with grammar?

As long as it is deemed readable, I really have no problem. I guess is preference. Seeing everyone typing the same is lame and boring--in my opinion. Even if we totally enforce this, what are you guys going to do? Give them an infraction? and then not help them because they cannot type "correctly"?

I understand your feelings, but I doubt it will lead to anywhere good.
The grammar post are ones like this,

"Hi guiz noobs here i just wnted 2 stop by & sees wutz shakin so i was doin hw teh ohter day and i waz liek man i want some choc milk but then i decided 2 watch tv instead cuz getting up to get choc milk waz 2 much affort have you guiz ever exp this"

Just give me the ability to edit anyone's post. If I abused it they could kick me. I would just help make things readable and send a warning PM to the user.

·
Banned
11,409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am View Post
wut r u tlking abotz? lik rly dats not srs bsnss
Ocing iz srs bsnss

but I agree that we should have some sort of script that automatically reformats peoples posts to mostly proper english... things like:

u ->you
ur ->your
u r -> you're
r -> are

etc...

What?

I had to google it.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.