Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed in my time here, that there is no workshop thread.

Well there is now.

Post stuff here that you have been working on that perhaps aren't big enough items to warrant a build log, or aren't related it to computers at all. Say you like woodworking, metal fab, car work, etc, it's all welcome here. As long as you are interested in fabricating, building, repairing, modifying, or restoring something, post it!

I would ask too many very deep questions here or get into a very in depth build log, other forums are probably better suited for that. But barring that, have fun, and go make something!

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, for the first post, a project I have been working on: a C02 powered car for my machine shop class. It just looks like a hunk of metal now, but it will lose some weight by the time it's finished. ;)

Squaring up a side that will be glued on which will eventually be a wheel cover/fender.

Squaring the whole block.

Done! (for now)

·
What should be here ?
5,729 Posts
A great idea. I will post some of my things (nothing remotely interesting) that I plan to do. Would help if you could also post tools of your trade ?

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might go more in depth in what I'm doing if people show interest, I'm not super good at documenting what I do.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my physics class, we are making some model rockets (out of paper and cardboard), but me and my friend decided to go above any beyond and make one out of aluminum. Started with a solid bar and we are turning it down to 1.030" OD and .980" ID. Such a thin wall thickness (25 thou) is making it chatter a bit, but it will be ok once we slow it down for the last few cuts.

·
What should be here ?
5,729 Posts
What tools are you using to ge the job done ?

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lathe, homemade boring bar, and some High-Speed Steel blanks I ground. Really all lathe related tools. A few drill bits to get rid of the bulk of the material.

Well some measuring tools as well. Brown & Sharpe 599 Calipers, a 0-1" mic and a set of telescoping gauges.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I suppose I owe you guys an update. We finished the rocket:

I think it looked pretty good.

We shot it off monday, and it did alright, but the parachute didn't work properly. We fired it again, but this time with no parchute in it, and the nose cone taped on to keep from losing it and... well.... it manged to stick upside down right in the ridgetop off the a nearby church roof.
:o

Yup. A few inches in either direction and it would have been fine. What are the odds? That was Monday. Last time I checked on Friday it was still there. A fin broke off and I'm not sure if the nose cone is there or not.

I have some videos but there are people in them that I haven't asked their permission to post, and I'm not sure if I want our foolishness posted online. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
Because I'm a smart person, I decided I'd take a fish tank to college. I realized that it might damage the tank over time if I picked it up too often - 6 times a year to and from college - and it's just downright painful to have a thin plastic rim cut into your hand. Even with about an inch of water, it's about 20-30 pounds (I think, the pain might make it seem heavier).

Solution? Build a stand! I don't think I ever got pictures of the stand tank-free, but there's three 1x4s going front to back with a sheet of poster board on top and a piece of particle board on top of that. You're never supposed to have any part of a tank unsupported, and any imperfections in my measurements should be solved by the slightly squishy poster board.

Works well enough. Door handles are for ease of carrying. Water is brown because there was somewhat new driftwood in it, which means it leaches tannins into the water and stain it a tea color.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks decent enough to me. With a bit of sanding and some filler on the screws and some black spray paint, it would be quite nice. Is the tank secured to the stand in anyway, or just sitting on it?

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
Just sitting on it. The platform is recessed about an inch and ~5.5 gallons of water is really heavy. It's not going anywhere.

I wasn't really concerned about aesthetics so I put some clear sealant on it because, ya know, water damage is a thing. I am half-tempted to paint or stain it over the summer though. We'll see what happens, depends on how much of an effort I want to make.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Just sitting on it. The platform is recessed about an inch and ~5.5 gallons of water is really heavy. It's not going anywhere.

I wasn't really concerned about aesthetics so I put some clear sealant on it because, ya know, water damage is a thing. I am half-tempted to paint or stain it over the summer though. We'll see what happens, depends on how much of an effort I want to make.
I was more concerned about it tipping while carrying it, but I guess you don't carry it full.

I don't think I would stain it, pine stains pretty poor. Your endgrain and the rings will be really dark. If you do stain it, do a really light one. Linseed oil makes a great finish by itself but isn't very water resistant.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
damn you guise.

I don't need an excuse to fire up my ingenuity.

must.resist.urge.to.convert.the.shed.into.a.proper.work.bungalo.

frown.gif
it's just a little 7x7 aluminum shed, but it would totally be enough space to setup shop just right. 99% of my tools ares in storage bins in the attack
frown.gif

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Me and my Dad just finished up converting a table saw into a metal cutting table saw. I'll try to get some pictures and video shots when we get the new blade in.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was resonably thin, but pretty stout actually. It might have actually popped off and the aluminium tube cut it.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
i gotta do something. I don't have any workspace right now. a 20K raise to counterbalance my sublet would be awesome. That would give me half of my house back.
tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 77 Posts