Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry, but this is the straw that broke the camel's back.
Quote:
Sorry folks but because this involves the EU and the legislation they are passing, the thread violates the Terms of Service.

A silly proposal yes, but it overlaps with politics, thus, cannot be allowed on overclock.net

PM me if you have any further questions.
There is so much stupid in the policy, I don't really know where to begin.

Legislation = Politics?: If pending legislation is politics, why not legislation that has been passed? Is the DMCA politics? Is patent law politics?
Action by a branch of government is politics? If actions of the legislative branch is politics, why not those of the judicial branch? Patent suits aren't politics? Arrests and prosecutions aren't based in the politics that created those laws the accused is charged with violating?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1313549/bbc-us-court-to-rule-on-redigis-mp3-digital-music-resales/0_100

http://www.overclock.net/t/1308603/escapist-steam-tos-leads-to-trouble-in-germany/0_100

http://www.overclock.net/t/1313166/various-mobile-industry-lawsuits/0_100

What about government agencies? The FCC? The FBI? The Department of Defense? DARPA? The NRC? ..Texas school boards? ...NASA? [You laugh, but NASA's budget is very politicized, so everything NASA does is part of a larger political issue because that Mars rover could have been somebody's tax cut ...or school books.]

http://www.overclock.net/t/1313471/nytimes-worries-over-defense-department-money-for-hackerspaces/0_100

http://www.overclock.net/t/1304244/ns-fbi-launches-1-billion-face-recognition-project/0_100

http://www.overclock.net/t/1314602/hufftington-texas-school-district-reportedly-threatening-students-who-refuse-tracking-id-cant-vote-for-homecoming/0_100

http://www.overclock.net/t/1313409/cw-nasa-rover-curiosity-gets-first-scoop-on-mars/0_100

http://www.overclock.net/t/1288757/gizmodo-fcc-tells-verizon-it-can-t-force-you-to-pay-20-for-tethering-anymore/0_100

http://www.overclock.net/t/1310893/ny-times-uranium-plant-using-laser-technology-wins-u-s-approval/0_100

I'm sure I could find dozens more if I wanted to put the time in.

The point is...

1-Politics is all over OCN.

2-Good, important topics are being closed unfairly.

3-Closing threads for political content seems to happen less with politics the moderator/OCN approves of.

What should be done:

A distinction should be drawn between "Politics" as philosophy and ideological debate and "Politics" the historic actions and events, with an exception made for the latter. This is not a radical shift, this is what happens most of the time here at OCN already.

Facts should matter more than where they come from.

·
Prince of all Saiyans
4,196 Posts
Great ideas put forward, but alas these guidelines are meant to disallow more blatant forms(and ultimately admin discretion) of political issues in order to prevent this from becoming less of an enthusiast forum.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILNOK View Post

I'm personally glad it isn't "allowed". I get sick of seeing everyone's political views all over TV, news, facebook ,twitter, etc. There are plenty of politics-based forums for that type of discussion without cluttering up a computer forum with it.
I don't want to see views, I want to see news.

I don't want to hear about liberals and conservatives.

I don't want to know about politician x,y, or z.

I would like to learn on OCN about a pending law that OCN will be fine and dandy about having as the underlying subject of few dozen news threads on once it passes.

OCN's treatment of politics is childish, because it plays favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindrage606 View Post

Great ideas put forward, but alas these guidelines are meant to disallow more blatant forms(and ultimately admin discretion) of political issues in order to prevent this from becoming less of an enthusiast forum.
And as a result of squashing a thread about the EU gimping GPUs, much of Europe is one leap closer to becoming "less of an enthusiast forum".

·
Premium Member
10,122 Posts
Politics invade every aspect of your life, whether you believe it or choose not to. Everything. Such is the way of life around the globe, not just in EU or US.

I happen to agree vehemently with the OP's sentiment, not perhaps the last straw bit, however.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatsquare View Post

I would like to know learn on OCN about a pending law that OCN will be fine and dandy about having as the underlying subject of few dozen news threads on once it passes.
And as a result of squashing a thread about the EU gimping GPUs, much of Europe is one leap closer to becoming "less of an enthusiast forum".
Point is they have to draw a line. Because if they don't you will see views, hear about liberals vs. conservatives and know about politician x,y, or z.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I must say I like what you are saying.

/signed for whenever a mod/admin comes in and looks at this. There have been several posts about climate science that have been locked due to OCN's policy on the matter. I totally totally get that we don't want people from the left and right flaming each other here but I don't understand why other science articles are okay but somehow these aren't. If someone brings it up they can be dealt with. The rest of us are just interested in reading and discussing the content.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Some politics is a little more relavant to OCN, like the Internet, which I believe should be allowed without question. But in terms of the everyday stuff, I believe it isn't allowed simply because there is too many kids and/or immature grownups who can't have a civil conversation/debate on such things. Any other forum I've ever been apart of that has had a politics/debate forum has always ended up closing it simply because people can't keep their cool in them.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It seems the OP is more talking about the seemingly selective enforcement of the 'No Politics' part of the ToS and not necessarily the rule itself. He's upset because of the thread that was closed because of a loose overlap with Politics while other threads have been more related to politics and allowed to remain open. I don't have examples of this, but I've noticed it a couple of times in my experience here.

There is a great many number of things that could be tied back to Politics in some way, and a strict enforcement using the situation the OP mentioned would lead to a large number of the current open topics to be closed if acted on. I agree there needs to be a firm description, but it also seems that 'Politics' is one of those things that you can't really put into words (because of the far-reaching hands of modern day Politics), but you know it when you see it. It's a cliche, yea, but it's still kinda true.

·
Premium Member
10,774 Posts
OP has wasted his time. Raises some good points, but at the end of the day the foot will stay planted on this.

·
NOT New to OCN
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatsquare View Post

I would like to learn on OCN about a pending law that OCN will be fine and dandy about having as the underlying subject of few dozen news threads on once it passes.
agreed on top three points. rest is meh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

The house always wins.
sad, but true.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Hypothetically, what would happen if we let a political discussion go on for pages and pages un-moderated? nothing, eventually people would agree to disagree and move on with their life. I have seen this happen on countless other forums.

but then again, I have seen death threats over a math problem that people were disagreeing on, so who knows.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILNOK View Post

Point is they have to draw a line. Because if they don't you will see views, hear about liberals vs. conservatives and know about politician x,y, or z.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Some politics is a little more relavant to OCN, like the Internet, which I believe should be allowed without question. But in terms of the everyday stuff, I believe it isn't allowed simply because there is too many kids and/or immature grownups who can't have a civil conversation/debate on such things. Any other forum I've ever been apart of that has had a politics/debate forum has always ended up closing it simply because people can't keep their cool in them.
The political debate OCN fears will happen, happens now. Even when a topic has actually devolved into political debate, which is rare, it doesn't go into the nitty-gritty of party and persons, it delves into socio-economic "rich vs. poor" territory. It happens in a lot of far less political issues as well, so even if the "rich vs poor" argument were to happen within a politics related topic, that conversation would still be, arguably, an apolitical one.

·
Registered
845 Posts
"Politics is made up of 2 word "poli" which means many and "tics" which are bloodsucking insects."
That is an actually quote from someone of note. Just posted as a thought.

Wait... Hold on... Global warming is too controversial?
doh.gif
Off topic more-less but.... Really..?

Since (apparently) in some states judges are elected won't that make anything court case related politics?

Isn't Apple vs whatever personal politics?

·
Registered
528 Posts
So OCN politics is influencing which threads are locked regardless of any actual focus on politics?

Why does this not surprise me? Creating a political situation when none is wanted..... ah the mysterious ways of the world.

·
Premium Member
10,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

Hypothetically, what would happen if we let a political discussion go on for pages and pages un-moderated? nothing, eventually people would agree to disagree. I have seen this happen on countless other forums.
but then again, I have seen death threats over a math problem that people were disagreeing on, so who knows.
It won't happen here.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I agree with OP on much of this. It could be interpreted that politics are not allowed unless they deal with computers and technology, then maybe. But there is so much other stuff that has nothing to do with computers and modding that gets through.

Here is a list of things that don't really relate to computers or modding (In the off topic section, forums exist for each of these):
Art / Graphics
Carforum.net
dogforum.net
jokes and humor
rants and raves
school help
tv and movie
sports...

Really, sports and no politics?

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
I dont come to OCN to read about politics, I can turn on the tube for that.

I believe in the moderators, they do what they can for the site and sometimes they have to make the choice that will satisfy ultimately nobody to preserve the idea that is OCN. Ive had my own run in's with them and sure things I dont really care for but its to keep OCN, OCN.

Politics tends to bring out the worst in people anyways, Washington didnt want for their to be political parties because it divides the populace

1 - 20 of 73 Posts