Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start i will give you two specs of two different RAMS.

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series - CL 2-3-3-8
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series - CL 3-4-3-8

I have the PC4000 version, which runs at a higher speed, but worse latency, i have just noticed that my MSI Neo2 Platinum only lets the RAM go to 200Mhz, it does not let you select a divider just lets you select 133, 166 and 200Mhz.

Well PC4000 ram can run at 250Mhz but i only can have it at 200Mhz which is the PC3200 speed.

But if i ran the PC3200 vs PC4000, wouldnt the PC3200 get better benchmark results than the PC4000 because of the lower latency.

If so what should i do, can i lower the latency to match the PC3200.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
someone correct if im wrong cuz im still a noob:

i believe even though the bios only gives you an option to have the memory at 200MHz, you can loosen the timings and have it run faster. im not too sure about MSI mbs, but im sure there HAS to be a divider. maybe its listed as something else in the bios.

as for the latency, the faster ram would have higher latency because its running at a faster speed. its kind of how DDR400 ram can have a CAS of 3, but then when set in DDR333 mode it runs at 2.5. make any sense? lol. im still a noob, but im tryin to learn

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
You can lower the lancey of your ram, but youll be sacrificing some MHZ, meaning a lower overclock. Of corse, if your computer cant even meet the treshold of 250MHZ (Which is pretty unlikely when overclocking), You can lower that baby by quite a bit. But for now, what is your FSB at?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FSB is at 200Mhz stock, i only overclocking with multiplyer on my FX55 at the moment, is there any way of getting my RAM to run the correct DDR500 speeds, or should i just lower the latency.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomprice43

FSB is at 200Mhz stock, i only overclocking with multiplyer on my FX55 at the moment, is there any way of getting my RAM to run the correct DDR500 speeds, or should i just lower the latency.

To make the Ram run at DDR500 you'll need to increase the FSB to 250Mhz and loosen the timings to 3-4-3-8. This will also increase the CPU speed as well so you'll probably need to lower the CPU multiplier to keep it stable.
Check which is quicker though. 200Mhz 2-3-3-8 might well be quicker in the apps that you use than 250Mhz 3-4-3-8 because of the increased latency.
SuperPi runs and Game benchmarks can help you determine which is the best for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but a msi neo2 platinum wont let me run it at 200mhz even if i raise FSB, its only lets me pick the RAM speed, which doesnt go over 200mhz

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomprice43

but a msi neo2 platinum wont let me run it at 200mhz even if i raise FSB, its only lets me pick the RAM speed, which doesnt go over 200mhz

Increasing the FSB increases the speed at which the Ram and the CPU run.
The 200Mhz setting in the bios is the divider that your ram is on. Setting it at 200Mhz means that it stays at the same speed as the FSB. Setting it to 166 for example means that the ram would run at 166/200*FSB.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

Increasing the FSB increases the speed at which the Ram and the CPU run.
The 200Mhz setting in the bios is the divider that your ram is on. Setting it at 200Mhz means that it stays at the same speed as the FSB. Setting it to 166 for example means that the ram would run at 166/200*FSB.

Bingo! He's confusing memclock index for ram speed setting. Like Ste stated, that is a divider setting, not how you go about setting your ram speed. Leave it on 200 (1:1 ratio) and up your frontside bus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts