Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with OCZ Freeze thermal past?

I ask because I bought some and found it difficult to get a good "seat", I kept getting patchy areas where it wasn't making contact. I tried different methods of application and no luck. Temps were horrific although in safe range.

I ended up cleaning everything off and using AS5. Huge difference, perfect spread and lower temps.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I've never used OCZ Freeze myself but I would just stick with what works, imo.

I use AS5, never had a problem. And I'm not so sure there's really a "cure" time either...

jam3s

·
Overclocker
1,743 Posts
I was recommended it and the reviews say it's one of the better one's.

It seems ok to me. I might re-apply it again cause I don't think I did it right cause I had to move my Heatsink a bit to get it mounted, so that probably smudged it around too much. It's pretty sticky stuff.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
i just got some last week and its awsome got a 9500gt folding at 60C now its down to 42C! only dropped a few C on my processor though from about 40 to 36.

its good stuff i would recomend it!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I used to use AS5 and switched to OCZF and I find it works better. You're right though, it's a bit harder to apply evenly. What I usually do is apply a very small amount and seat the heatsink. Then I remove the heatsink, check the spread, and if one side/area isn't well covered, i add a bit more to that side and reseat the heatsink. Usually gets me great temps. I know it's a bit more work, but it's worth it to get the best results...

·
Bigger is Always Better
1,121 Posts
OCZ says to apply the required "rice grain" in the middle of the CPU and lay the heat sink over it and wiggle it to get it to spread. I also find that it's rather sticky but my Mugen-2 kind of slid around anyway as I was putting in the screws. I've never used anything else but I think it works great. No heat problems so far with my i7 clocked to 3.85ghz 24/7

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
I have not had any problems with it at all... I have all kinds of tim from noctua's, thermalrights, as5, and another one that i can't find or i would tell you what it is and out of all of them i prefer the ocz freeze... I would like to try out that diamond stuff though to see what it is like.... I really like the ocz freeze stuff a lot because it isn't a conductor so if i make a mistake or something and get it in to the holes that the processor goes in, i wont have to worry as much about something getting shorted out. It really is good stuff, and worth giving it a try at least.

·
Premium Member
7,013 Posts
Arctic MX2 is the best IMO.

·
Overclocker
1,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiccan_creed
View Post

I have given it a try, numerous times. For some reason I can not get a good seat with it.

Same, I've only tried 2 times so far and it seemed to've gotten hotter.

Anyone recommend a good way to spread this stuff ? (OCZ Freeze)

Using the Dark Knight cooler on an AMD 940BE. I get blue screen's (BSOD's?) after about 1/2 hour just running the browser. lol I'll manage my cables a little better somehow too, but I know there's gotta be a better way to use the OCZ Freeze, I'm just not doing it right.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3s
View Post

I've never used OCZ Freeze myself but I would just stick with what works, imo.

I use AS5, never had a problem. And I'm not so sure there's really a "cure" time either...

jam3s

Cure time is around 200 hours from what i've read.

Also for the thicker pasty type compounds try use a razor blade or card (credit card)to apply, kinda put it to a very close angle to the surface and spread evenly.

·
Overclocker
1,743 Posts
Ok, maybe I'm ******ed then. I used a glossy business card and spread it evenly, but I did on both the HS and CPU...I'm guessing that's too much ..... ? I'm still a n00b to adding thermal paste/compound, etc. Learning the Hot (not hard) way ..lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.