Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i want to build a new desktop computer and i'm considering to get an high-performance one for work with 2D/3D graphics, video editing, and gaming of course

Now, talking about RAM memory, what do you suggest me?

I've read nice things about OCZ's Blade series but also about Reaper series, today i've read few things about G.Skill's ones, never heard about it before, but i know nearly nothing about them, and finally i know the Corsair brand, if i don't go wrong Corsair's memories aren't so bad, are they?

So know, keyboards to you all guys, squeeze your brains and let me know

Greetings.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I mean...

They are all reputable manufacturers. Are you going to heavily overclock the RAM?

If not, just go with RAM from the QVL for your motherboard. That way, you can be sure you won't have any headaches. I'm using 4gb of G.Skill and the memory works flawlessly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Firstly, thank you 4 the replies, i wanna say that you all forgot to write which model/series/frequency you use!

Anyway, to make things clear, i need a good and high-speed RAM, overclockable (why not
) 4 the reasons above

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've used Corsair and OCZ in both DDR2 and DDR3 formats and never had problems. I've seen people use all of the brands and never had problems, just get what fits your budget and has the highest speed or tightest latencies, you can't really go wrong.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
I like them all a lot, but you can't go wrong with one of those brands.

I have used:

2-4 GB of G. Skill DDR2 800 MHz
4 GB of OCZ SLI-Ready DDR2 800 MHz
4-6 GB of Corsair DDR2 800 MHz

I loved them all, but I think G. Skill sticks have the best overclocking headroom.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
G.Skill is super popular but I had some bad luck with them. Granted, I was using their top performance HZ memory which is apparently very finnicky about voltages, but I wasn't thrilled about having to RMA various sticks of it 3 times. I do have to say that their RMA process is pretty good, though.

I've got low voltage OCZ ram and am very happy with it.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gono View Post
Hi everyone, i want to build a new desktop computer and i'm considering to get an high-performance one for work with 2D/3D graphics, video editing, and gaming of course

Now, talking about RAM memory, what do you suggest me?

I've read nice things about OCZ's Blade series but also about Reaper series, today i've read few things about G.Skill's ones, never heard about it before, but i know nearly nothing about them, and finally i know the Corsair brand, if i don't go wrong Corsair's memories aren't so bad, are they?

So know, keyboards to you all guys, squeeze your brains and let me know

Greetings.
Ok first of all, for the new system are you looking for DDR2 or DDR3? And in your specs you better remove XP Black Edition since it's illegal software and against the TOS

Quote:

Originally Posted by _02 View Post
I mean...

They are all reputable manufacturers. Are you going to heavily overclock the RAM?

If not, just go with RAM from the QVL for your motherboard. That way, you can be sure you won't have any headaches. I'm using 4gb of G.Skill and the memory works flawlessly.
Honestly, the QVL means next to nothing. Usually they only test popular sets to put on the QVL, while other sets work just fine as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpykins View Post
G.Skill ftw. I got OCZ, not happy with it. Only line worth buying from them is the platinum series and I would still recommend G.Skill over that. Corsair is decent though you will pay big bucks for the overclockable versions.
Each brand of memory has different sets with different chips, so the quality varies over each series. If you had a bad set of OCZ, then you got unlucky. It can happen with any other brand. But you absolutely can't compare one set of OCZ with other sets of OCZ that carry different chips...

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_dogg View Post
G.Skill is super popular but I had some bad luck with them. Granted, I was using their top performance HZ memory which is apparently very finnicky about voltages, but I wasn't thrilled about having to RMA various sticks of it 3 times. I do have to say that their RMA process is pretty good, though.

I've got low voltage OCZ ram and am very happy with it.
The G-Skill HZ (2x1GB) have D9 chips, and D9 chips tend to wear out rather quickly. So this happened to all brands that used D9 chips on their memory modules, not only G-Skill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatty Beef
View Post

I have corsair - no problems - runs at 1600 flawlessly 4GBS/$100 combo deal @newegg

Do you have Dominator or Dominator GT series?
I've read that they must excellent, aren't they?

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
I have used all 3 and never had an issue.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastrider
View Post

I'd say G.Skill.

Never ever had a single bad experience or thought about them. So fast, so realiable.

Fast that would depend on which set, because G-Skill has some budget sets as well that are not so fast. Reliable, yeah. Their performance sets usually have an 8 layer PCB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gono
View Post

Do you have Dominator or Dominator GT series?
I've read that they must excellent, aren't they?

The Dominators are average, the Dominator GT's are usually overpriced.

I'd say when buying a DDR3 set go for 1600mhz at cas latency 7-x-x-x or 2000mhz at cas latency 9-x-x-x. And when it's DDR2 you are looking for then 800mhz at cas latency 4-x-x-x or 1066mhz at 5-x-x-x. And lower voltage is a plus when selecting a set.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, what do you think about OCZ Blade series and their latency?

(P.S. We are talking about perfomance not price
)

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

So, what do you think about OCZ Blade series and their latency?

(P.S. We are talking about perfomance not price
)
The current best deal from OCZ is this set:
OCZ Platinum LV 3x2GB
7-7-7-24 timings and 1.65v with a pricetag of $159. But this set is a triple channel kit so it depends if you go for Intel Core I7 or AMD Phenom II.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, that's what i wanted!
Links!

Anyway, that series is capable for Intel and AMD platforms, isn't it?

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Ok, that's what i wanted!
Links!

Anyway, that series is capable for Intel and AMD platforms, isn't it?
Yes it is, but for an AMD you could go with a 2x2GB set and save some cash. The Intel I7 works with triple channel but also works with dual channel sets.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Don't get OCZ if you plan on overclocking your RAM. OCZ typically has little headroom. I've had a few sets of OCZ and they all become unstable at ~25mhz over rated speed.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts