Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently noticed that in cpu-z and everest my ram is shown as 9-9-9-24 when it should be 8-8-8-24. Also in the bios it thinks the standard voltage for it is 1.6v when it should be 1.65v. When I increased the voltage to 1.65v I get hardware failures in Prime 95. Today I ran memtest86 and found multiple errors on some of the modules. Is there anything I can do or do I have to RMA?

Thanks!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaJim
View Post

Hi, I recently noticed that in cpu-z and everest my ram is shown as 9-9-9-24 when it should be 8-8-8-24. Also in the bios it thinks the standard voltage for it is 1.6v when it should be 1.65v. When I increased the voltage to 1.65v I get hardware failures in Prime 95. Today I ran memtest86 and found multiple errors on some of the modules. Is there anything I can do or do I have to RMA?

Thanks!

Hmmm I have the exact same set of ram and yes, I had to raise my voltage and then I also tightened down my timings without a glitch so you seem to have done everything right.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, my pc runs fine, but during Prime 95 it fails consistently after a couple minutes. And then I when I decreased the voltage to 1.6v I could stress test in p95 for hours.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm that did not work. I just tried a large fft test in prime95 and about 10 minutes in my computer just restarted. I had been running blend tests before and this never happened. My core temps are fine at 50C at full load. The only errors I was getting in the blend tests I had done before were hardware failures, but never a full crash. I currently have no overclock, (although I did have one but I set it back to stock when I started failing stress tests). The only thing I have altered in my bios is my DRAM Bus Voltage which is currently at 1.64v, when my bios thinks that the standard voltage should be 1.6v, even though the module says 1.65v. I had tried 1.65v earlier and received the same hardware failures. But when I had it at 1.6v it worked fine. What should I do? RMA the ram?

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Sounds like an RMA is needed.

If the memory does not work at 8-8-8 1600mhz with 1.65v (and the rest of the system is stock) then the memory is almost guaranteed to be the culprit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks! Theres no chance this whole issue could have damaged anything else in my system, right?

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaJim View Post
Ok, thanks! Theres no chance this whole issue could have damaged anything else in my system, right?
Nope.

The only other possible errors that could cause this (but I don't think so) are:
bent pin in the processor socket
damaged CPU
bad DIMM slots

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If my cpu was damaged would I notice bad temps? I tried the three other slots and got the same result.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaJim View Post
If my cpu was damaged would I notice bad temps? I tried the three other DIMM's and got the same result so I don't think its the slots.
Temperatures don't really have much to do with it. There are too many variables involved such as: thermal paste used, how the cooler is mounted, how much voltage, and what frequency etc...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts