Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
InstantAli3n
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an OCZ Vector 128GB, it died after a few months and I got it RMA'd. Thinking "what are the chances I'll need to do that again" I threw away the box.
doh.gif
Then OCZ goes bankrupt and my drive dies, but this time it's so bad no computer will even post or begin to power on while the drive is plugged in. I kid you not this drive is so bricked it stops anything plugged into it from working. Powering it on with an external connector actually FREEZES explorer.exe. Wow.

So is this thing just a fancy paperweight/prank drive or can I rma it a second time somehow? They need a proof of purchase/receipt, but since I've already used mine to return the original the "return power" of the receipt is invalid right? How do I go about contacting them? Are there even warranties on these anymore?

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
Call up and complain. Warranty is still valid.

·

13,038 Posts
Does the computer at least post with the drive installed, just not windows?

I'd try a secure erase with parted magic first to see if that helps. Probably won't, but it's worth a shot.

I thought my drive was done too. Was loading up slow on my computer. Running low on benchmarks, lagging a lot.

Secure erase and clean install of windows later, it's as good as new.

·
InstantAli3n
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, you hit the power button and the computer tries to turn on for a split second then stays off. It's super ultra dead. Trust me I tried everything in every possible combination. No post. Not even long enough to wake up the monitor. It's like black magic or some shiz.
tongue.gif

·

13,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboyeli View Post

Nope, you hit the power button and the computer tries to turn on for a split second then stays off. It's super ultra dead. Trust me I tried everything in every possible combination. No post. Not even long enough to wake up the monitor. It's like black magic or some shiz.
tongue.gif
Well you have warranty, so that's good news:
Quote:
OCZ Storage Solutions is able to provide warranty support for the "OCZ Technology" SATA based Vector, Vertex Series SSDs, RevoDrive, RevoDrive 3/3X2 PCIe SSDs as well as any products launched by OCZ Storage Solutions on or after January 22nd, 2014. OCZ Storage Solutions is also able to provide warranty support for the "OCZ Technology" Agility SSD Series products that are still within a current warranty period until Jan 22, 2015.
http://ocz.com/consumer/support/warranty

·
InstantAli3n
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I saw that. I remembered hearing something about only being able to use your warranty once or something stupid like that... Guess that was for something else.

They got back to me and just now approved it for RMA. Looks like they're pretty timey responding to RMA tickets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboyeli View Post

Yea I saw that. I remembered hearing something about only being able to use your warranty once or something stupid like that... Guess that was for something else.

They got back to me and just now approved it for RMA. Looks like they're pretty timey responding to RMA tickets.
which is a good thing is it not
wink.gif

Tony

·
InstantAli3n
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocztony View Post

which is a good thing is it not
wink.gif

Tony
Yea I've been putting off boxing it up because I have to write the label instead of print it.
tongue.gif
I'll mark down when I send it and see how long it takes for something to come back. But no offence to OCZ I am not opening this new one, I'm ebaying it. No way in hell. Just not this model.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Don't use the OCZ drive as a boot drive anymore, just use it as a gaming drive. I had to RMA my OCZ Agility 3 after a bit over 2 years of usage as the boot drive. First drive they send me (it was a Vector) was DOA, the second drive (Vertex 460) works, but I'm not using it as a boot drive anymore, using it as a game drive should be fine as it's mostly read operations.

·
InstantAli3n
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a chance I'm even opening it. I don't care if it's fixed with the b3.0 firmware, I'm selling it on ebay. I'd sell it here, but I don't have enough rep yet.

·
InstantAli3n
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The replacement has arrived! They bumped me up to a Vector 150 128GB. Total time from shipping to receiving was just under 2 weeks. They sent a tracking email for the new item. Good enough for me.
smile.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts