Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
GWAMM
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not-so-important background info
I'm thinking of getting a 200GB+ SSD to replace the mechanical drives in my main rig (will be keeping those for storage in an older rig or NAS, w/e), because tbh the noise annoys me. I've become slightly obsessed with silence, and getting quieter case is not an option.

By the way, other ideas on how to keep the noise down, like "Put that F3 in an external enclosure and run it through e-SATA", etc. are welcome.

The actual question
So, the cheapest SSD available to me is the OCZ Vertex 2 240GB, but wherever I look I see that it has quite the bad reputation.
This makes me wonder if this is due to flawed early firmware which has later been fixed, or is this drive still as unreliable as it was?

·
Banned
1,782 Posts
Why bother with Vertex2 when you can get Vertex3? The price is about the same only a couple bucks more.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
OCZ in general is getting a bad reputation for changes to those drives this late in the cycle.. They made a switch from 34nm to 24nm NAND which lowers their bottom line.. The change lowers the life of the drivers and most importantly to users like us the performance as well. Of course OCZ kept prices unknowingly higher as long as they could and to my knowledge they have yet to clean up the advertised/marketed speed claims..

If I were you I'd look into buying two used 34nm 120GB Vertex 2 drives and running RAID or a single 240GB for simplicity if available. If you must go new I'd recommend the Corsair Force series but only for future-proofing if you plan on getting native SATA3 support sometime soon. There's now point in SATA3 given your sig rip specs or utilizing an add-in card as they're performance is lacking in comparison to native ports at this time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd just go intel 510 for the more reliable option. For the desktop/gamer experience you wont feel the difference.

I'm not familiar with amd and your motherboard, but the best way to get rid of those spinning drives is to use the ssd-caching feature, which I think only z68 motherboards have. Your X-25 SSD is perfect for this. This way frequently accessed files are cached on the ssd so the hdd's don't spin up to retrieve the files.

save yourself the $ and go with a 120 GB 510 for OS and misc and set the x-25 as an ssd-cache.

just my 2c.

·
GWAMM
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzO
View Post

Why bother with Vertex2 when you can get Vertex3? The price is about the same only a couple bucks more.

I live in Sweden though, where the V3 is like 33% more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekon
View Post

If I were you I'd look into buying two used 34nm 120GB Vertex 2 drives and running RAID or a single 240GB for simplicity if available. If you must go new I'd recommend the Corsair Force series but only for future-proofing if you plan on getting native SATA3 support sometime soon. There's now point in SATA3 given your sig rip specs or utilizing an add-in card as they're performance is lacking in comparison to native ports at this time.

Mm, the thing about buying used is the lack of warranty. I couldn't care less about SATA3 to be honest, as I won't need that kind of bandwidth anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnetwoPi
View Post

I'd just go intel 510 for the more reliable option. For the desktop/gamer experience you wont feel the difference.

I'm not familiar with amd and your motherboard, but the best way to get rid of those spinning drives is to use the ssd-caching feature, which I think only z68 motherboards have. Your X-25 SSD is perfect for this. This way frequently accessed files are cached on the ssd so the hdd's don't spin up to retrieve the files.

save yourself the $ and go with a 120 GB 510 for OS and misc and set the x-25 as an ssd-cache.

just my 2c.

Yeah, I don't really care about speed, I just want a silent storage solution for as little as possible, lol. As for the SSD caching, eventually there'll be a need to access something on the HDD anyway which will bug me.

I think I've decided on the 120GB Intel 320, which will pretty much be for games. Their reliability and 5-year warranty is really attractive. Everything else, videos, music, etc. will be kept on my F4 in a NAS (Synology DS211j or similar).
I only wish I had picked one up when the 120GB Intels were like 15% off a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good thing about ssd-caching is that it gets rid of the system "freezes" when some App/process needs to check the existence of file, folder, whatnot on disk A-Z. Since disk A-Z has to spin up before said query is processed:

E.g. Opera, the browser, due to some MS player plugin problems back in opera 9, still searches for root\\PFiles\\plugins\\ on all drives... At seemingly random intervals. "hey guys I'll just google this quick" *waits for 8 disk raid5 array to sequentially spin up*, "yeah, this ssd thing is blazingly fast, really speeds up everything" *still waiting* ...

·
Banned
1,782 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varrkarus
View Post

Because the Sandforce controller in the Vertex 3 is more likely to be faulty.

Why make false accusations when you don't have reliable source to back it up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HothBase
View Post

I live in Sweden though, where the V3 is like 33% more.

I see, yes the Vertex 2 is a good 3Gbps SSD option.

·
Banned
1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale77;14158374
You don't need to go on Newegg, Just go on the OCZforum and you will find out.
Let me bring you guys up to speed. The BSOD/crashing problems do not exist anymore in firmware 2.08, you need hot swapping enabled in your BIOS. There is also a PLL Overvoltage problem on Intel's side and that needs to be disabled. It's not just a OCZ problem.

I haven't encountered any problems with my 120GB Vertex3 MAX IOPS with another build I have.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzO
View Post

It's not just a OCZ problem.

At least it is a Sandforce problem. No other SSDs have these issues. And yes the new firmware to slow down the drive in order to fix the problem hurray! The PLL issue is just BS. You design a part to be compatible with all configurations under all reasonable circumstances. If you see problems like these, they need to be addressed before product release. Well the problem is they never tested it so they never found out.
The fact that you don't have a problem now does not mean that you won't. I have had 8 OCZ SSDs (still using 3 of them) and never will buy another one.
If you look at this very forum you will see intermittently someone asking why his Sandforce drive suddenly disappeared and can no longer be recognized. Most often it is an OCZ but you will also see Mushkin, Gskill, Corsair all Sandforce 1 drives. Ohh and I had the first generation of Vertex too. The Indilinx controllers, same story. History just keeps on repeating with OCZ at every generation.
Do you see any report of Crucial/Micron, Samsung, Toshiba or Intel drives do this? Anywhere? I just recently saw that the Intel 320 is having some problems actually so it would be the only exception.

·
Banned
1,782 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafale77
View Post

At least it is a Sandforce problem. No other SSDs have these issues. And yes the new firmware to slow down the drive in order to fix the problem hurray! The PLL issue is just BS. You design a part to be compatible with all configurations under all reasonable circumstances. If you see problems like these, they need to be addressed before product release. Well the problem is they never tested it so they never found out.
The fact that you don't have a problem now does not mean that you won't. I have had 8 OCZ SSDs (still using 3 of them) and never will buy another one.
If you look at this very forum you will see intermittently someone asking why his Sandforce drive suddenly disappeared and can no longer be recognized. Most often it is an OCZ but you will also see Mushkin, Gskill, Corsair all Sandforce 1 drives. Ohh and I had the first generation of Vertex too. The Indilinx controllers, same story. History just keeps on repeating with OCZ at every generation.
Do you see any report of Crucial/Micron, Samsung, Toshiba or Intel drives do this? Anywhere? I just recently saw that the Intel 320 is having some problems actually so it would be the only exception.

I think you're blowing this problem way out of proportion. The problem is not as widespread as you make it out to be.

I have installed over 40 OCZ SSDs in the 2nd half of 2010 alone and another 8 so far in 2011, while there are few that exhibit this problem, after firmware updates and tweaks in the BIOS and Windows, the problem is no more.

And your claim that firmware slowing down the drive only applies to fw 2.09, 2.08 is not affected if it works and so far me or my clients have yet to encounter any problems with fw 2.08, everything is running smoothly as it should.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts