• One that I'll mention in my reply...

Votes: 3 8.6%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I had a question which I think many other people have.
I'm currently stuck with choosing between different brands and timing.

What brand do you suggest for a 6gb kit (3x2gb) 12800 ddr3 1600 ?
Corsair, OCZ or Kingston.

I know answers will mostly include g.skill but sadly here in uk, they are hard to find and really expensive! so can't afford...

will appreciate replies and possibly reasons

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OCZ 1600 CL7 seem really hard to find and expensive. can find CL8 and 9.

what about 1866 on 10-10-10-28 ? can I run it on 1600 with 7-7-7-24?

need some advice

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Check out some patriot kits, they are good

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can't find patriot and g.skill and mushkin. (gskill is possible to find, but they are really expensive! if you can buy for $200, I can't find one for £200 !)

Still appreciate suggestions.

And the thing is that the prices of OCZ and Corsair are a bit different, while I don't know why should I pick one.
Kingston is really cheap compared, don't know about the quality as never had kingston...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Around £150(around $245. I know it can buy the best ram in US, but can't do much in UK).

choices, few ones I found myself are as below, but still not sure, just suggest if you know anything better:
-corsair 6gb 1600 CL8 XMS3
-corsair 6gb 1600 CL9 XMS3 (£25 cheaper)
-ocz 6gb gold 1600 CL8
-kingston 6gb 2000 cl10

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sina View Post
Around £150(around $245. I know it can buy the best ram in US, but can't do much in UK).

choices, few ones I found myself are as below, but still not sure, just suggest if you know anything better:
-corsair 6gb 1600 CL8 XMS3
-corsair 6gb 1600 CL9 XMS3 (£25 cheaper)
-ocz 6gb gold 1600 CL8
-kingston 6gb 2000 cl10
OCZ Platinum 1600 CL7 ($160 in US). That extra money would be better utilized by something that would show a noticeable difference... like a video card. Guaranteed, you probably won't notice much between CL 7 and CL 8, but you'll definitely notice an $85 difference in video cards. Not to mention, every OCZ chip I've used had been rock solid, and forgiving when overclocking. You might also want to check what voltages your motherboard supports. The P6T Deluxe I have DOES NOT support 1.65v, but does support 1.64 & 1.66. This misses the rated speed on the OCZ Platinum altogether, although most people have pushed the voltage up that extra 0.01v without any issues (yet).

Corsair is known for dependability, G.Skill is usually good, but there are some occasional goof-ups, Patriot has done well (that I've had experience with), Kingston is alright, but there are better options. Stay away from Geil, I had two defective chips in my first system (replaced with OCZ
).

If you've never heard of the name, run far far away.

And on that note, I'm going to build my i7 system! (Motherboard just arrived!!!! Wish me luck!)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pocketdrummer, thanks for the quite good info.

I'm still stuck with choosing. To be fair, I had Geil on my previous PC (4gb 800mhz ddr2) and it was quite good. But nothing special really.
For that Kingston 2000mhz thing, if you're good in overclocking, can you tell me that if its possible to reduce the timing to 7-7-7-24 or even lower if putting down the FSB to 1600?

also, what about CL8 and CL9 on corsair rams? how much difference should I expect? considerable and noticeable?

And about OCZ and Corsair, which one to choose? still don't know and everybody says different things. It seems people had horrible experience with both while others having great experience with both.

I'm going to start ordering next week to build my pc the week after.
And I have limited budget for 3yrs+ build so want to make sure I will build a durable nice PC setup with 2 monitors, decent ram, gpu, cpu, mobo and tons of space
So I really appreciate any help.

PS: pocketdrummer, I like your einstein's quote. its one of my favorites

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have this and love it. I'm not sure where in the UK has it but it's worth looking for only £117. I had it running 1866mhz 6-8-7-18 for a while until I had to reset my CMOS and now can't get it stable again.
With tinkering it's been able to reach 2000mhz, or you can just keep it at 1600 and have rock solid ram.

Edit: Found it here for £145
The price I said above was what I got it for converted into pounds, I guess it's more over there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
groundzero9, its around £160-70 here on ebay which is a bit out of my budget and not a trusty place to buy rams. and its CL9, isn't it? so, have to consider overclocking then. I just want 1600mhz, so the lower the timing, the more happy I'll be... let me know if this can go on like cas 6 timing on 1600mhz... then I'll really consider it

Any more suggestions ?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It is CL6. Stock timings are 6-7-6-18 1600mhz which is why I like it so much
Also sorry about that site, I realized it was out of stock after you just posted.

Small review here. Searching around google.co.uk to try and somewhere that has it instock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh, then I cant find it here, or its over £200...
don worry, anyway I cant buy from newegg here. Either they dont send or even if they send to UK, I have to pay VAT and Import rate (20%+) and considering the fact that if a module go wrong, have to pay too much to send it back ...
so I need to buy it here in UK...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
never knew about novatech, seems they have nice prices on rams, but I think I still cant afford that much... its still a bit expensive

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Sorry to burst anyones bubbles but alot of OCZ DDR3 is having alot of issues id stay away atm. I have 6 GB and it spits such random errors. RMA next week

1 - 20 of 23 Posts