Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Excel Guru
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in getting this OCZ kit as the Mushkin kit I wanted has gone back up in price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227388

I have not heard much from OCZ in terms of DDR3. This kit comes with an XMP of 9-9-9-28 at 1800MHz, though, which makes it extremely tempting since it is still priced with other 1600MHz memory. Does anyone have experience or know of any reviews of this memory? If there is cheaper RAM that will do the same I have not found it, so feel free to enlighten me! I will be using a vanilla P6T board or an MSI Eclipse (haven't decided yet), so the RAM should be able to go that high on either of those two bards (both of which from reviews seem to be capable of putting RAM that high).

These Dominators are also an option as they come with a $30 discount with a P6T:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145224
Does anyone have experience with them? I see that Newegg has them listed as awarded (which means they are popular), yet I have not seen this particular set in any reviews.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
I'm running the OCZ XMP and have been able to get it to the 1800 at 1.65v with no problems at all in my evga x58. Super stable, no issues with it at all. I picked up the 3x2gb kit and have loved it.

·
Excel Guru
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by trogalicious
View Post

I'm running the OCZ XMP and have been able to get it to the 1800 at 1.65v with no problems at all in my evga x58. Super stable, no issues with it at all. I picked up the 3x2gb kit and have loved it.

How high have you been able to clock them?

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
How high have you been able to clock them?
I'll have to dig through and look, I've torture tested a few different clock speeds / voltages... I'm sitting at 1.65v pushing it to right at 1800mhz currently.

·
Excel Guru
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

View Post

I'll have to dig through and look, I've torture tested a few different clock speeds / voltages... I'm sitting at 1.65v pushing it to right at 1800mhz currently.

Anything above 1800MHz at 9-9-9-24 is gravy, but if it can do more than the Corsair Dominators I linked to that's even better.

·
Excel Guru
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So has anyone had experience with the Dominators?

Quote:

View Post

I haven't compared them to the dominators, but I checked back over my log and had them stable at around [email protected]/9/9/24 1.65v

Wow... That's an excellent overclock - it seems too good to be true!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villainstone
View Post

I have that same kit and as far as I can tell the XMP doesn't works. I am not sure if there is something special that I need to do aside from setting the XMP profile in the BIOS.

I certainly hope there is something you're missing because trogalicious' results are amazing so I'd hate to think they are a fluke!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the XMP as well, and some mobos don't support the XMP feature, but you can still manually OC the ram. I don't know where mine maxes out at 9-9-9-28, but keeping it on 8-8-8-24, I've been up to 1776MHz, corresponding to a 222bclk which is a very hard wall to get past with the i7. I think these are really good option for the 920 and 940 because the choice of memory dividers is fairly limited if you're going for an OC of 4GHz or higher on the cpu.

·
Excel Guru
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81
View Post

the dominators own. I've had mine to 1866 spec on the 1.65v

66MHz more than what OCZ offers for $60 more is not good enough. Surely they overclock better?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts