Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told by a friend that if you OC your comp, i will last around 2 years and then it will burn out. is that true????

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bored7one4

i was told by a friend that if you OC your comp, i will last around 2 years and then it will burn out. is that true????

All my old systems have been sold to friends and still run today... Dating back to my 4 year old XP1600 overclocked to XP2000 by accident.

·
Registered
418 Posts
there are a lot of factors that contribute to how long a system will last, like how wel you maintain it, how hot it runs, and what voltage you are pumping into your compnents

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like Inspire said, in 2 years, you should be upgrading your computer anyway.
So what's the difference in overclocking? But hey, beside that, overclocking really doesnt diminish the lifespan all that much on your computer as long as you maintain it well. And by meaning of maintaining it well, you must have good cooling, and without good cooling you shouldnt be overclocking unless you really dont give a rats if it dies.

Only extreme Oc'n kills your comp in a relatively short amount of time.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
I would say thats false for the most part...

But increasing the Vcore to insane amounts will most likely fry your CPU in a couple of years... But by then it will be worth about as much as a 2 year old pair of shoes

Save yourself some money and buy the first CPU that isnt overpriced..

Such as FX or P4ee

and get yourself a cpu and overclock it...

that $800 you saved on your CPU can go into something better

1 - 6 of 6 Posts