Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my friend asked me to help him overclock his 3700.....being an intel guy I was a little cautious but I decided to try.....hope that doesn't drop the number of people reading this lol

so after finding out the 3700 series can be a good overclocker we both got excited lol

I told him to set his voltage to 1.4 since that's what I found for a normal low setting........and cpuz said that's what it was running at stock when set to auto.

hw monitor reads temps of around 48-54...very jumpy as well

Voltages were jumping from 1.392 to 1.428 all the time....so I thought it was some sort of speed throttling setting, googled and found "quiet and cool"....I had him turn that off...rebooted at stock speeds still and his temps went through the roof......with still a very jumpy vcore

he messages me saying we have a problem and he said its reading 81, and then 20 seconds later he says it it 91, then it kept climbing.....it hit 109 before he shut it down...the heat sink fan was spinning....so it wasn't that

He turned quiet and cool back on and now his temps are normal.....stock heat sink btw....

I already told him he won't be able to get that much out of it with stock cooling, but hes getting a new pc soon so he doesn't care....

what the hell went wrong?

he has an a8n5x mobo....should we keep quiet and cool on?

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
he really should invest like $20 into a better cooler, he could sell it later for like $15 used so its not a big investment.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude
View Post

he really should invest like $20 into a better cooler, he could sell it later for like $15 used so its not a big investment.

well yea I expected that lol, hes gonna look at a zalman 9500 or something

I just don't understand how at stock clocks with quiet and cool off it jumped that much......

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I guarantee you that the cooler is not seated properly. I had a 3800+ (almost the same as a 3700) it was overclocked to 2.8 with a monster 1.55vcore on a stock cooler and I never got above 50*-55*C even 6+hours under full load prime95 stress tests.

oh and I doubt it, but could it be that he is getting temp readings in Fahrenheit?

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
a 9500=crap
get a xigmatek hdt cooler for less $ and its way better

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
I had a 3800+ X2 manny do almost the exact same thing to me.

Stock cooler, stock settings just CnQ off. Fan was spinning, was 3rd reseat, and the HSF wasn't too dirty(not blocked).

Even @ bone stock it'd get up to 80c under stress(and stupid hot w/ even the most minimalistic OC). I said F it and put on a salvage-modded, lapped cnps9500 and temps were acceptable again, actually quite good.

I started to OC(almost made 2.5ghz) and the VRMs went out in the mobo.
cheapo asus parts. It was already a refurb board(A8N5X) from a previous RMA that took forever, lol. So it's out on RMA and my clan is serverless

edit!:
OMG I JUST SAW THAT IT WAS A A8N5X aswell!

Like I explained above, I had the EXACT same problem. I have NO clue what caused it either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts