Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm thinking about starting a C2D build soon and I was looking at the P5B Deluxe Prices. The ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP is $224 and the open box version is $145. Is there anything really useful that comes with retail motherboards that will be left out if I buy an OEM motherboard? Is the lower price worth getting the OEM?

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Quote:

Is there anything really useful that comes with retail motherboards that will be left out if I buy an OEM motherboard? Is the lower price worth getting the OEM?

Well Wincet, seems like the only thing you'd be missing is the cables and software installation CD. But not to worry, download the drivers and everything you need to have a flawless installation and you're good to go, aside also from having to go buy some SATA cables and/or EIDE cables, if you don't already have any.

Otherwise, OEM is just something that a customer return for something that they "said" is wrong with the MoBo but it may not.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Several people got lucky with Open Box from egg. I hear some of them got everything that the board is supposed to come as NEW, so it all depends I guess.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
I'd buy it if:

1. It's a good pirce drop from new

2. The retail product doesn't come with accessories that i'm gonna need (excluding HDD/CD/DVD cables, USB/Firewire headers, Driver CD).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
OEM isn't always returned items. In fact, returned items *should* be listed as refurbished or open box. OEM is simply the "no frills" version of the product.

For example, I have two versions of the Intel D975XBX "Bad Axe" boards. One version is the retail one, where each is contained in it's own colorful and fancy box, with cables, CD's, I/O plate, detailed manual, etc. On the other hand, I also had OEM versions of the board that I got direct from Intel. With that option, I get a large box with 20 motherboards, each just wrapped in the anti-static bag. They come with basic no-frills cables, a very spartan manual, and a few other odds and ends.

In general, OEM products are meant to be used by systems integrators to build machines for end users. They aren't typically meant to be bought by end users, as they lack much of the fancy stuff typically found with retail producs.

That's essentially the only difference. The products are (usually) completely identical - just in a less fancy (or non-existant) box, and sometimes missing a few accessories. Sometimes they also have shorter warranties as well.

Anyway, the point of this nice long ramble is that OEM != Returned item

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
ASUS is known for packing ungodly amount of goodies with their motherboards. With mine, I got 8 sata cables, 4 molex to 2 sata power cables, three ide cables, an external bracket for using your sata drives outside of the case, 2 sets of usb ports with two ports each, a game controller port, and a firewire bracket with two ports. If the savings is worth what you may not get with the motherboard, than buy it.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tankguys
View Post

OEM isn't always returned items. In fact, returned items *should* be listed as refurbished or open box. OEM is simply the "no frills" version of the product.

For example, I have two versions of the Intel D975XBX "Bad Axe" boards. One version is the retail one, where each is contained in it's own colorful and fancy box, with cables, CD's, I/O plate, detailed manual, etc. On the other hand, I also had OEM versions of the board that I got direct from Intel. With that option, I get a large box with 20 motherboards, each just wrapped in the anti-static bag. They come with basic no-frills cables, a very spartan manual, and a few other odds and ends.

In general, OEM products are meant to be used by systems integrators to build machines for end users. They aren't typically meant to be bought by end users, as they lack much of the fancy stuff typically found with retail producs.

That's essentially the only difference. The products are (usually) completely identical - just in a less fancy (or non-existant) box, and sometimes missing a few accessories. Sometimes they also have shorter warranties as well.

Anyway, the point of this nice long ramble is that OEM != Returned item

Does an OEM motherboard come with say a backplate and Firewire/USB back things?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by selectodude View Post
Does an OEM motherboard come with say a backplate and Firewire/USB back things?
nope. it only comes with just a mobo. NOTHING in it

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanwinting
View Post

nope. it only comes with just a mobo. NOTHING in it

Actually, that's not always true. It just depends. The OEM badaxe boards I had, for example, had everything - I/O Plate, Cables, Driver CD's, the whole nine yards. The only thing they lacked was the retail box, and the detailed manual - instead, all they had was a sparse little pamphlet thing.

It's best to ask for each product though. Some OEM boards won't have anything, like hanwinting said. It just depends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts