Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have an oem version of windows and was wondering if I can install it again on my new computer.

I would be using the same HDD but in a new computer. It is OEM. I mean would it even install?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
Alright I have an oem version of windows and was wondering if I can install it again on my new computer.

I would be using the same HDD but in a new computer. It is OEM. I mean would it even install?
You might want to read thru this thread:

OEM Clarification , by BFRD Site Administrator
http://www.overclock.net/windows/156...ification.html

Excerpt:

I am tired of reading so many posts suggesting that you may install an OEM copy of a Windows OS on multiple computers and still retain a proper license. Just because you call up and ask for a license key and you are given one does NOT make it OK. Not getting caught is not the same thing as being allowed. The operators that are manning those phone lines do not have the training (or inclination) to determine if you are installing on a new machine or not. The license is clear; OEM = one machine only.

OEM licenses are cheaper for a reason, and it has very little to do with not having a box. It is cheaper because eventually you will need a new machine and will then have to buy another copy of the OS. So next time someone suggests that installing an OEM OS on a new (read: not the original) computer is OK; will get a Piracy Infraction.

Notes:

* Minor hardware changes are permitted
* A motherboard change is never minor
* Hardware failure may not allow you to re-activate a license
* This thread is about licensing not morality
* MS will often allow you to re-activate even though they shouldn't, they have stated this will not protect you from prosecution
* If you are upset about the licensing issues of OEM software complain to your system builder

Quote:
* Can I transfer my operating system license from an old PC to a new one?

ANSWER. Not unless it was purchased as a Full-Packaged Product from a retail store (i.e., Windows in a box). Current OEM licenses for all Microsoft operating system products are not transferable from one machine to another. The End User License Agreement (EULA) governs the terms for transfer of licenses. Some EULAs for copies of certain older OEM operating system products (i.e., MS-DOS®, Windows® 3.1, and Windows for Workgroups 3.1) distributed in 1995 or earlier may permit transfer of the OEM operating system software license under limited circumstances. (See Software Product Transfer section of your End User License Agreement.)

Quote:
* If I "retire" a PC with an OEM license on it, can I use that software on a new PC?

ANSWER. No. To put it simply, OEM product is "married" to the original PC on which it was installed. Current OEM licenses are not transferable from one machine to another. The software cannot be moved from PC to PC, even if the original PC it was installed on is no longer in use. This is true for all OEM software - operating systems and applications.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Yeah I agree with wearenotalone. That is technically stealing. Just download windows 7. Its FREE! the best price of all. I am saying its immoral but it would install but its not okay to because its stealing. I just wanna make it clear to everyone that I am not urging you to do that.

If I this goes against forum rules I am sorry. I didn't think I was and was not promoting it

·
Registered
341 Posts
If I upgrade my OS, using the OEM as the base, does this change anything?
I'm thinking of the millions who will be buying the Win7 upgrade packages.

Thanks, Bruce.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by bk7794
View Post

Yeah I agree with wearenotalone. That is technically stealing. Just download windows 7. Its FREE! the best price of all. I am saying its immoral but it would install but its not okay to because its stealing. I just wanna make it clear to everyone that I am not urging you to do that.

If I this goes against forum rules I am sorry. I didn't think I was and was not promoting it

How is it stealing though.. Its on the same HDD just on a new computer?

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Legal and moral issues aside... If you are moving the old HD to a new mobo, you may encounter more problems than its worth. Im thinking loading in new mobo drivers, BIOS compatability not to mention all those little hidden programs that where home on your old mobo. Its a lot more work that just doing a fresh install.

I considered what you are suggesting when I upgrade but the overall verdict was to get a retail copy.

There was a time when you bought a PC you got the damn OS discs... not anymore.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

As a system builder and Microsoft partner, I can tell you with certainty that you are breaking EULA. In Micrososoft's eyes, new motherboard = new computer.

Can you install it and probably have it work fine, update, activate, etc?
Yes, if you haven't already activated it several several times you can probably use it with no problem.

That being said I don't advocate or recommend you breaking the EULA.

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Quote:

View Post

The short answer is yes. The long answer is the first post to your question.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Quote:

View Post

How is it stealing though.. Its on the same HDD just on a new computer?

Well since the OEM OS is clearly tied to the MoBo I don't understand your point or confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer
View Post

As a system builder and Microsoft partner, I can tell you with certainty that you are breaking EULA. In Micrososoft's eyes, new motherboard = new computer.

Can you install it and probably have it work fine, update, activate, etc?
Yes, if you haven't already activated it several several times you can probably use it with no problem.

That being said I don't advocate or recommend you breaking the EULA.

EDIT: I am sick to death of all the IP apologists who come in to any thread like this and start insulting the OP, saying stuff like, "You're stealing" "Its Immoral" etc.
It is NOT stealing, it is not immoral, and if you want to talk ethics Microsoft is the last organization you should be defending.
If he were to install it anyway on his new computer he'd be breaking EULA and that all. It is not theft, as no one was deprived of their property, it is NOT a crime and no cop would haul him off if found out, it would be a civil matter for civil courts and no criminal record.

I don't believe in something for nothing and I DO believe that people who produce things of value should be compensated, but IP law in this country and abroad has become WAY too draconian and is no longer even serving its original purpose, in fact now it is more being used to STIFLE creativity. So please everyone, just get off your high horses.

Wow you say two things and they seem to contradict.

Violating the EULA is theft. I don't have time to teach you the basics. I do maybe understand your frustration at the demonetizing of the OP for simply asking a question. But the answer is clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethy666
View Post

And that, I'd say Ladies and Gentlemen, sums it up pretty darn well.

Sums up what? If you can get away with it it's cool? Or the mass confusion on this issue?

I am not the police and I really don't care what any of you do. But at least understand and articulate the clear and obvious to those that ask. Not allowed. What OP does is not my business. Maybe his or M$ or the police but certainly not mine.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
You can install Windows on any computer, and have it function as valid for 30 days. After that you will need a valid key. OEM keys are one use only.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
@ Asus Mobile wrote:
Quote:

Sums up what? If you can get away with it it's cool? Or the mass confusion on this issue?

If you read Mygaffer first line (below), you would see that it breaks the EULA, with all the legal and moral implications inherent in that act. That my friend, is what is summed up. How we choose to use that information is, as you say, up to us.

Quote:

I took the rest of the post as an personal rant, for which he, like you and like me is entitled.

·
Registered
738 Posts
By the EULA it is not transferable.
BUT you can still consider it is an upgrade. The motherboard thing that someone mentioned above is just what microsoft "thinks" and is never a legal guildline, is just what MS "consider" a new computer is, it has no legal power as a guildlne of new build or upgrade.
When you reactiviate your key, you will have to call them since more than 10 components are different. All you need to do is tell them this is an UPGRADE and they will let you activiate, there is nothing they can do to you or will do to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts