Overclock.net banner

6161 - 6173 of 6173 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You know what sucks about gaming at 1440p and above? Most of the time the lazy devs can't be bothered to scale the UI so that you can even read it. You set the game to run at your monitor's native resolution, and then you can barely play the game because they couldn't be bothered to make the windows and text get bigger. Ugh.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotonFanatic View Post

You know what sucks about gaming at 1440p and above? Most of the time the lazy devs can't be bothered to scale the UI so that you can even read it. You set the game to run at your monitor's native resolution, and then you can barely play the game because they couldn't be bothered to make the windows and text get bigger. Ugh.
I only have this problem with 15+ year old games at 2560 x 1440. At 4k though this is a major problem.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,943 Posts
Quote:

I have never seen that or had that problem before other then in OpenRA so which game do you have that problem in?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Quote:

I thought this was going to be a problem too but I was actually surprised when I went to 1440 that the Witcher 3 text is bigger and haven't come across any issues where text is smaller with anything recent.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yeah granted the AAA titles seem to be on top of it. So if that's all you're playing, sure I can see where you may not have run into it by now.

However, I just played Age of Decadence, and then Dead State once I learned the company existed. Also, I do seek out older games that have slipped through the cracks for me, because I didn't really become *much* of a PC gamer until 2008. So lots of the older ones, yeah it just goes microscopic and you can't read anything. Indie devs seem to have a lot less time and money on their hands and I actually went on the Dead State forums and they said it would take too much time and money lol. Maybe I just play more indie games. I agree with not seeing the issue on the big name stuff. I also played the witcher and didn't have any problem.

But if you're going to allow for the resolution, at least do it right. Just my .02

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm very much debating whether I should get a GTX1080, or just stick with my GTX980Ti and possibly get a second one for SLI (prices dropping fast). I'm gaming on 1440p and have no intention to go to 4K in the short term (might upgrade to a gsync monitor though).

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

I'm very much debating whether I should get a GTX1080, or just stick with my GTX980Ti and possibly get a second one for SLI (prices dropping fast). I'm gaming on 1440p and have no intention to go to 4K in the short term (might upgrade to a gsync monitor though).
I'd prioritize a new monitor first I think. What monitor do you currently have?

Personally I will never use SLI again, due to some issues in certain titles which always seems to be unavoidable.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

I'm on the same boat, playing with a widescreen.
If you want to switch your gpu to get ultra 1440p on incoming game i would suggest you to wait for the 1080ti, this way you won't have to change it again (hopefully) when you will switch to 4k.
I personnaly wait for the wide 4k screens to come out before quitting 1440p, playing at 21:9 is so amazing

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriksLV View Post

I just bought Asus PG279Q an i have EVGA 980Ti.
How is the PG279Q? I am looking for a new monitor and I'm not sure if I should go for 1440p again with a higher refresh rate, or try to find a larger than 27 inch 16:9 4k monitor (of which there aren't many), or an ultrawide monitor (although I don't really specifically want one). The PG279q seems good on paper but it seems like a lot of people have issues with it...

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir125 View Post

How is the PG279Q? I am looking for a new monitor and I'm not sure if I should go for 1440p again with a higher refresh rate, or try to find a larger than 27 inch 16:9 4k monitor (of which there aren't many), or an ultrawide monitor (although I don't really specifically want one). The PG279q seems good on paper but it seems like a lot of people have issues with it...
It's a lottery. Some site ordered 30 or 50 of them (forgot which) and the vast majority had horrible levels of backlight bleed that I'd deem unacceptable. @CallsignVega previously had five PG279Qs and five XB271HUs and the XB271HUs had less bleed. Read all about that here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1554247/build-log-vegas-2015-chromed-copper-tube-gaming-system/140#post_24676825

XB271HU's overdrive seems optimized more for high refresh rates. Some inverse ghosting might be present at 60 FPS or so, based on what I've read.

These monitors are great for competitive gaming but not good for immersive gaming.

6161 - 6173 of 6173 Posts