Overclock.net banner

221 - 240 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
This weekend I finally started looking into overclocking my 3900x. (still using the stock air cooler) After a couple days of fiddling around with Ryzen Master I grabbed the new CTR tool and ran it a bunch today. The final test passed at 1.288V 4375 4325 4200 4200. (didn't attempt 4400) With 1.288V 4350 4300 4175 4175 I got 7678 in Cinebench20. (priority "realtime") I did try some lower voltages, but didn't plan to run it above 1.3V. I'll run it a bit more again after taking a break.

The LTT video about CTR with Anthony said to set LLC to "level 3", which seems to be "low" on x570 Aorus Master? Should I disable "quiet and cool" mode?

I have not committed any settings in BIOS yet, or modified V_SOC or VDDG yet.
They used a very old Alpha CTR sample, with Beta 3 you need to use AUTO LLC for X570 Master, also disable PBO and try to use stock XMP settings. Disabling Cool & Quiet is not needed. Regards
Mate those ccx quality numbers are hot 🔥 dam silicone lottery. Depending on the 5000 series I might go wild and just run this cpu harder try and get 4.5ghz all core around 1.325v. Can you run cinebench fine or adia64 stress test fine? I wish i was comfortable with using higer then 1.27v would love to get 4.4ghz on all cores.
Let me check. Did a 5 hour LIVEstream with this 3900XT (in spanish). Let me check some "highlights". I remember running AIDA64 for close to 10 minutes checking CPU/FPU/Cache. I'm running 5minutes of R20 from Rprogram (you can set a specific time). This is close to 6-7 R20 passes in a row and after that I do 4 passes of REalbench.

Regards

·
Registered
157 Posts
They used a very old Alpha CTR sample, with Beta 3 you need to use AUTO LLC for X570 Master, also disable PBO and try to use stock XMP settings. Disabling Cool & Quiet is not needed. Regards
I set LLC to auto and disabled PBO and gave it another try. However, CTR failed some of the CCX at lower frequencies, and reported a higher V-droop. More worryingly, on the second attempt when the last CCX failed CTR set my "CPU VID" to 1.52 Volts and started posting warnings about rebooting the system immediately. o_O It never did that before I made those changes in the bios.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I set LLC to auto and disabled PBO and gave it another try. However, CTR failed some of the CCX at lower frequencies, and reported a higher V-droop. More worryingly, on the second attempt when the last CCX failed CTR set my "CPU VID" to 1.52 Volts and started posting warnings about rebooting the system immediately. o_O It never did that before I made those changes in the bios.
Your MB is an AORUS Master right or I assume something else? Also you are using at least a Combo AGESA 1.0.0.4 BIOS?

Regards

·
Registered
304 Posts

Let me check. Did a 5 hour LIVEstream with this 3900XT (in spanish). Let me check some "highlights". I remember running AIDA64 for close to 10 minutes checking CPU/FPU/Cache. I'm running 5minutes of R20 from Rprogram (you can set a specific time). This is close to 6-7 R20 passes in a row and after that I do 4 passes of REalbench.

Regards
Thanks for the effort I hope one day i get a gold sample as well, I want those ccx numbers too. Im considering a jump to 3950x or the newer release seems that camp hits 4.5ghz easily just waiting like everyone for the new amd cpu release info.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Your MB is an AORUS Master right or I assume something else? Also you are using at least a Combo AGESA 1.0.0.4 BIOS?

Regards
x570 Aorus Master. CPU-Z says bios F11 - AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 12/06/2019

I set LLC back to "low" and PBO back to "enabled" (or was it originally "auto"?) to run the test like I did yesterday. I ran CTR and was getting a little higher CCX frequencies again, but before fully finishing the optimization one of the tests failed again and CTR set my cpu voltage to 1.5V and popped up warning messages about rebooting immediately. This didn't happen when I used CTR yesterday, so now I'm a little freaked out.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks for the effort I hope one day i get a gold sample as well, I want those ccx numbers too. Im considering a jump to 3950x or the newer release seems that camp hits 4.5ghz easily just waiting like everyone for the new amd cpu release info.
You just need to sell yours and go for a newer one. Else just grab a Ryzen 5000 :D. Don't lose hope just yet. Now I got an R9 3900X + ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact but I doubt is a Golden Sample just because it is an old one. Batch says 2008. There's a higher chance to get a Golden/Platinum or even better sample purchasing a newer batch CPU. Take this in consideration: Latest Zen 2 CPUs will be very close to current node from Zen 3. Just my 2 cents :D since already happened the same with Zen and Zen+

x570 Aorus Master. CPU-Z says bios F11 - AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 12/06/2019

I set LLC back to "low" and PBO back to "enabled" (or was it originally "auto"?) to run the test like I did yesterday. I ran CTR and was getting a little higher CCX frequencies again, but before fully finishing the optimization one of the tests failed again and CTR set my cpu voltage to 1.5V and popped up warning messages about rebooting immediately. This didn't happen when I used CTR yesterday, so now I'm a little freaked out.
Originally is AUTO. Most settings in AMD boards (and Gigabyte haha) are AUTO by default. Sometimes AUTO works better than "Enabled" just like SMT as an example. Is weird but that's a common with AM4. You can just "Load Defaults" (F6 or F7) in BIOS and not save config to "see" what were the factory settings :D. Do it all the time.

Regards

·
Registered
304 Posts
You just need to sell yours and go for a newer one. Else just grab a Ryzen 5000 :D. Don't lose hope just yet. Now I got an R9 3900X + ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact but I doubt is a Golden Sample just because it is an old one. Batch says 2008. There's a higher chance to get a Golden/Platinum or even better sample purchasing a newer batch CPU. Take this in consideration: Latest Zen 2 CPUs will be very close to current node from Zen 3. Just my 2 cents :D since already happened the same with Zen and Zen+

Originally is AUTO. Most settings in AMD boards (and Gigabyte haha) are AUTO by default. Sometimes AUTO works better than "Enabled" just like SMT as an example. Is weird but that's a common with AM4. You can just "Load Defaults" (F6 or F7) in BIOS and not save config to "see" what were the factory settings :D. Do it all the time.

Regards
I hope i do get a gold sample or better one day, some guys like cars and such I like pc parts and you have a ferrari in my eyes while i have a toyota.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I hope i do get a gold sample or better one day, some guys like cars and such I like pc parts and you have a ferrari in my eyes while i have a toyota.
The 3900XT is for a client haha but won´t hurt to so some testing :D. He will give as payment another 3700X, let's see how that one goes aswell :D. >Regards

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, I have a recent 3900X (platinum sample according to CTR) which does about 4.5 (4.525-4475) @ 1.37v under load all core with SMT and about 4.6 (4.65-4575) @1.4v load without SMT.
It's paired with B-die 2x16GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM @ 3733Mhz CL 14-14-14-28 tRFC 240 @ 1.5v on a MSI X570 Tomahawk.
Cooler is an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO.
What I haven't been able to manage is FCLK 1800. Maybe somebody has a recommendation as to which voltages I could try.

I actually got that rig in preparation for the Zen 3 release. Now I am a little bummed that AMD hasn't changed the IO die and we might not get higher FCLK frequencies for > 3800Mhz RAM. But the exact situation is not clear. Still hoping for a Zen 3 + 4xxxx RAM :).

Funnily this system achieves almost the same FPS in the SOTTR benchmark as shown in the AMD presentation of Zen 3. 182FPS (vs 184 from AMD) on a 3080. The 5900X was combined with 3600 RAM (probably relatively normal timings).

SOTTR_2020_10_08_18_53_22_675.png
So, for about 200 Euros less (I paid about 350Euros and 5900X will be 550 or more), the 3900X might still be a valid choice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's paired with B-die 2x16GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM @ 3733Mhz CL 14-14-14-28 tRFC 240 @ 1.5v on a MSI X570 Tomahawk.
Cooler is an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO.
What I haven't been able to manage is FCLK 1800. Maybe somebody has a recommendation as to which voltages I could try.
I have the same ram and i can not hit 3733c14 stable in any way. but it does 3800c16 no problem.

i have a 3800x and gaming edge wifi.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was just playing around and hit this score @ 4.5 all cores, 3866MHz 4 Module 1T cant handle the heat beyond that.
At what voltage? what kind of ram? CCX quality?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Got another 12C, this one is an R9 3900X but a bit old (Batch 2009). Could do the Following:

Silver Sample @1.275v
CCX1 189 @4.325 GHz
CCX2 177 @4.325 GHz
CCX3 164 @4.225 GHz
CCX4 152 @4.225 GHz

Used an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact BIOS 2207 (AGESA 1.0.8.1)

The ram is this one:
F4-3600C16D-32GTZN-G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.
I have it on 1.5v
It seems to me (not that much experience with X570) that the auto voltages on the MSI board are pretty high for the memory related voltages. If u want, I can post more info.
Yeah, most MSI boards have a trend to overvolt/overshoot memory volts. That's part of the reason why many OCers pick MSI boards for Memory Clock Records haha.

Regards

·
Registered
304 Posts
Got another 12C, this one is an R9 3900X but a bit old (Batch 2009). Could do the Following:

Silver Sample @1.275v
CCX1 189 @4.325 GHz
CCX2 177 @4.325 GHz
CCX3 164 @4.225 GHz
CCX4 152 @4.225 GHz

Used an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact BIOS 2207 (AGESA 1.0.8.1)

View attachment 2461619

Yeah, most MSI boards have a trend to overvolt/overshoot memory volts. That's part of the reason why many OCers pick MSI boards for Memory Clock Records haha.

Regards
Ive been watching other peoples ccx quality in the CTR thread you really hit the jackpot with your cpu's.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ive been watching other peoples ccx quality in the CTR thread you really hit the jackpot with your cpu's.
Thanks mate, just wanted to share my results. Sometimes I don´t backup this kind of information so I know will be here if I need it. I'm very interested in NewEgg 3900XT offer going for 463 USD, that's a great deal considering almost same MSRP with 5800X Zen3. Probably I will wait until November 5th and get the 5900X instead. Regards

·
Registered
304 Posts
Can i ask anyone who sees this and uses 3733mhz ram, can you please post your adia64 benchmark photo?, Im trying to decide if my whether my latency is worth all the added soc and ram voltage i went from 3600mhz to 3733mhz from 68.0ns to 66.0ns not stability tested yet had to loosen trfc and few other timings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure if anyone cares here but I think it's interesting nonetheless:

CPU-Monkey has published CB20 scores for the Zen3 cpus and put them on their charts. So while Zen3 has huge gains in the single-core side, the multicore increase is kinda whatever, our OC's here in this thread put the 3900X/T somewhere between spitting-distance-to and beyond (see literally post before mine) 5900X stock scores. Now we don't know how far a 5900X can go, maybe to 9000+, but at least for me, I dont feel a pressing need to buy a new motherboard & CPU since single-thread isnt throw-$1000-at-upgrade better.

Multi:

Single:

221 - 240 of 264 Posts