Overclock.net banner

941 - 952 of 952 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome mate. Your system looks dope.
Have you tested P95? Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you share your VRM settings?
I have not ran P95 yet. Only did IBT 20 runs or so.

The only adjustments to the VRM section I did was [email protected] and total power was upped to 140%.
All the other settings where from load optimized defaults. I'll try and get a screen grab when I get home from work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have not ran P95 yet. Only did IBT 20 runs or so.

The only adjustments to the VRM section I did was [email protected] and total power was upped to 140%.
All the other settings where from load optimized defaults. I'll try and get a screen grab when I get home from work.
Thanks. Seems like you got an awesome chip on your hand.
Mine doesn't seem able to do even 1866 FLCK without failing P95...

Edit: moved my question to the proper thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Helli I am new. Since a few days I also have the 3950x.

I liked some help with ccx overclock. It's only for gaming heavy cpu games like battlefield v. At this moment I have with 1.286 volts a ccx overclock with 4.4 ghz, 4.4 ghz, 4.3 ghz and 4.2 ghz. I like to go higher but I am worried about the voltage (degradation) to go over 1.3 volts. Do you guys have ani suggestions? Or maybe I am worried to much because games doesn't use more then 30 a 40 % usage. So a higher voltage isn't that bad?

Thx alot I appreciate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Helli I am new. Since a few days I also have the 3950x.

I liked some help with ccx overclock. It's only for gaming heavy cpu games like battlefield v. At this moment I have with 1.286 volts a ccx overclock with 4.4 ghz, 4.4 ghz, 4.3 ghz and 4.2 ghz. I like to go higher but I am worried about the voltage (degradation) to go over 1.3 volts. Do you guys have ani suggestions? Or maybe I am worried to much because games doesn't use more then 30 a 40 % usage. So a higher voltage isn't that bad?

Thx alot I appreciate.
I recommend that you try it with everything on Auto, enable PBO and see what voltages you're getting after 10+ minutes of Prime95. I wouldn't go above that voltage on static/per-ccx overclock.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I recommend that you try it with everything on Auto, enable PBO and see what voltages you're getting after 10+ minutes of Prime95. I wouldn't go above that voltage on static/per-ccx overclock.
I really do appreciate your comment. I've worked on that before but with a vcore off set to -0.075 which read 1.169vcore under Hwinfo64 while running Prime95. So I did it this morning without using an offset and the vcore was lower as in 1.144 to 1.150 vcore when running Prime95. Temps was getting a little too high for my liking as I try to keep it from reaching 90c so I stopped when I saw 88c after about 5 minutes. Now usually I can run my system 4.2ghz using 1.1875vcore which gives 1.169vcore under full load and temps dong well, unless I run Prime95 as then 90c is a given. So I wanted to play around with vcore to see what is the highest I can go at lower vcore as in 1.15vcore set in bios and it would drop to 1.119vcore while under full load in prime95 and not even 4.1ghz is a go as I got an error after about 5 minutes or so.

So in the end I will need to play around some more, I can run PBO with a vcore offset of at most 0.0750 and Prime95 will not fail but temps do get very close to 90c which I do not like. I mean my idle temps are sitting at 24c for each ccd so my cooling is sufficient I'd think. But all as, I will play around to see where I am. Funny thing is when I run prime 95 fully stock with a -0.05vcore offset my temps would barely reach 55c while under full load in prime 95.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really do appreciate your comment. I've worked on that before but with a vcore off set to -0.075 which read 1.169vcore under Hwinfo64 while running Prime95. So I did it this morning without using an offset and the vcore was lower as in 1.144 to 1.150 vcore when running Prime95. Temps was getting a little too high for my liking as I try to keep it from reaching 90c so I stopped when I saw 88c after about 5 minutes. Now usually I can run my system 4.2ghz using 1.1875vcore which gives 1.169vcore under full load and temps dong well, unless I run Prime95 as then 90c is a given. So I wanted to play around with vcore to see what is the highest I can go at lower vcore as in 1.15vcore set in bios and it would drop to 1.119vcore while under full load in prime95 and not even 4.1ghz is a go as I got an error after about 5 minutes or so.

So in the end I will need to play around some more, I can run PBO with a vcore offset of at most 0.0750 and Prime95 will not fail but temps do get very close to 90c which I do not like. I mean my idle temps are sitting at 24c for each ccd so my cooling is sufficient I'd think. But all as, I will play around to see where I am. Funny thing is when I run prime 95 fully stock with a -0.05vcore offset my temps would barely reach 55c while under full load in prime 95.
Thanks for sharing your experience. You're not alone in that. My 3950X performs very similarly. As Buildzoid pointed out on a video, this CPU is very hard to cool once you turn on PBO or try to run P95 while keeping the cores above 4Ghz.
Regarding your stock temperatures, that's probably because the 3950X is heavily underclocking itself to keep under the specified 105W TDP. I don't remember how low it went when I tested it, but I think you'll see all cores below 3.3Ghz at the very least.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. You're not alone in that. My 3950X performs very similarly. As Buildzoid pointed out on a video, this CPU is very hard to cool once you turn on PBO or try to run P95 while keeping the cores above 4Ghz.
Regarding your stock temperatures, that's probably because the 3950X is heavily underclocking itself to keep under the specified 105W TDP. I don't remember how low it went when I tested it, but I think you'll see all cores below 3.3Ghz at the very least.
When I run without PBO stock standard and I run Prime95 small FFT my core speed would be 3.4ghz as lowest but would mostly sit around 3.475 and 3.5ghz but temps barely reach 55c. Now when I run with PBO, the core speed would be around 4ghz or just below but temps would climb to just about 80c but looking at the vcore used it is also way to high from what I gathered with this chip.

·
BOINC Cruncher
904 Posts
That is why with Zen 2 and 24/7 compute loads, you should not run PBO or Performance Enhancement. Just set a fixed clock and and much lower Vcore. Either static or offset and maintain much higher core clocks with much less voltage and much lower temps. Currently running all-core 4250Mhz at 1.25V and 74°C. under BOINC loads.

·
Registered
951 Posts
That is why with Zen 2 and 24/7 compute loads, you should not run PBO or Performance Enhancement. Just set a fixed clock and and much lower Vcore. Either static or offset and maintain much higher core clocks with much less voltage and much lower temps. Currently running all-core 4250Mhz at 1.25V and 74°C. under BOINC loads.
Yup those words are so true. I do need to dial down on my overclock as the 4.2ghz using 1.187vcore is not stable but borderline but temps also to high for my tasting. I mean right now I'll rather leave it at stock if I were to run Prime 95, but I do not like to run it all that much. The 4.2ghz using 1.1875vcore is perfectly stable for anything else and the temps pretty good as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yup those words are so true. I do need to dial down on my overclock as the 4.2ghz using 1.187vcore is not stable but borderline but temps also to high for my tasting. I mean right now I'll rather leave it at stock if I were to run Prime 95, but I do not like to run it all that much. The 4.2ghz using 1.1875vcore is perfectly stable for anything else and the temps pretty good as well.
Nice to hear. You probably can get it stable with a per-CCX overclock, as it's probably just one of the CCXs failing.

Speaking of per-CCX overclocking, I noticed that my per-CCX overclock pulls more current under P95 than PBO, despite it using lower voltage. Doesn't feel that safe..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thx for the advice, but wich voltage should I look for? If I use hwinfo : is it VDDCR CPU, CPU Core voltage or Soc Voltage?

If I use Ryzen Master: is it peak core voltage?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thx for the advice, but wich voltage should I look for? If I use hwinfo : is it VDDCR CPU, CPU Core voltage or Soc Voltage?

If I use Ryzen Master: is it peak core voltage?
You'd want to look at Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) on HWInfo. See where it stabilizes after some 20 minutes of P95.

If you're overclocking, you'll want to set a voltage that, after vdroop kicks in, hits the same voltage you get on P95, so you'd never use higher voltage than the chip thinks it's safe.

941 - 952 of 952 Posts