1 - 20 of 3012 Posts

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"THE RED MOD"
525x700px-LL-88457666_img0308zp.jpeg

Introduction

The purpose of this group is to devote and assist in the growing interest of using a conventional self contained CPU cooler as a GPU cooler. There has been a growing group of people taking the risk and modding there GPU cards to accommodate a conventional CPU cooler. This group is established to share and inform peoples experiences and results when undertaking "The Red Mod"

Disclaimer

Those that are considering the mod should know that they take full responsibility for the outcome.
If you don't feel comfortable tearing apart your GPU with the possibility of forever destroying it, then DON'T DO IT.
Modding any GPU can and may void you warranty.

Participation

I will be encouraging some of those that have successfully attempted "The Red Mod" to post there info here. For those undertaking the mod they are encouraged to create a full work log here on OCN with benchmarks before and after using at least Furmark and or Heaven. Pictures are strongly encouraged before, during and after the mod.

Working List of Mods

BMGJET - Antec 620 - HD 6850 CF - 30% Overclock.
th3m3rc - Antec 620 - HD 6870
Cloudpost - Antec 620 - HD 5870
ReeferMadness - Antec 620 - HD 6950 CF
ritz - Antec 620 - HD 6950
esukoto - Antec 620 - HD 6850 Toxic
dasparx - Antec 620 - HD 6850
dekciW - Cosair H80 - HD 6970
rawfuls - Antec 620 - HD 6950 2GB
Krusher33 - Antec 620 - HD 6850
registered99 - Cosair H70 - HD 6950
jcapwell - Antec 620 - HD 7850
w00dzy - Antec 620 - HD 7970
Kamikaze-X - Cosair H50 - HD 4890
Kamikaze-X - Antec 620 - HD 6870
LongRod - Antec 620 - HD 7950
bondii - Antec 920 - HD 7970
beniroc - Antec 620 - HD 5870
smoke420 - Corsair H60 - HD 6850 CF
j4mmy - Antec 620 - HD 7970
s1xty7 - Antec 620 - HD 7970
Nomad692000 - Antec 620 - HD 6950
Frank33 - H50/H70 mod - HD 6970 CF
Dav631 - Antec 620 - HD 7970
Jahara - Zalman LQ320- HD 6950
AngelOfHavoc - H80i - HD 7970
lucas.vulcan - Antec 920 - HD 7970

To Join please post a picture of your setup in this thread with any benchmarks/temps, Then PM me a link to it along with what cooler and gfx card you are using.

Any suggestions on the group is encouraged,
This Group/Club is based off the Original "The Mod" in the Nvidia Cooling section by Rage19420.
Thank you for letting me copy your Group/Club for AMD/ATI Cards.

Here is the overclocking tool I use. Its command line based but I included a sample Bat file.

CMDATIGEN1.zip 1315k .zip file

Sig For Members

Code:

Code:
:specool:[URL="http://www.overclock.net/t/1203636/amd-ati-gpu-mod-club-aka-the-red-mod#post_16253918"]The Red Mod[/URL]:specool:
There is a nice guide here that may help you.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1479716/guide-closed-loop-aio-coolers-on-your-gpu

*This thread has been granted [Official] status. Keep up the great work, guys! - StarYoshi

Attachments

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Great job with starting this club bmgjet, looks very good. Let me be the first to +rep your work on this
thumb.gif
. you deserve it. Ive also posted on the sister club thread ( in the "nvidia cooling" section) to say how much these two clubs will benifit all who want to complete this mod. There are alot of us now, that is very good. I cant say how much i appreciate the silence after performing this mod....amazing, its so quiet now. Its nice to have a reason to bounce back and forth between the amd and/nvidia sections. Lets hope that we see a 7970 appear now with the mod done to it. WOOT

Great job bmgjet and for all those members who done this fantastic mod too. You all deserve +reps for taking the risk.
thumb.gif

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tempted to do it to my 7970's but Id rather wait a few months before voiding the warranty.
Thanks for the REP
biggrin.gif

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to see you got it working, Now you should see how far it can be overclocked.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Do you think this will work for the 5 series... more specifically the 5870. Are the mounting holes the same for the 6 and 5?

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
58 and 68 series holes are the same so it should work exactly the same. Altho hole spacing doesn't really matter when you use cable ties since they allow for a lot of change.
Just have to be more careful with cooling the VRM on the 5 series since the run a bit hotter. But as long as its got some air flow it should run cooler then stock since hot air isnt being blown on it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Cloudpost

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aslong as it has some air flow from like a side case fan it will be sweet. Mine runs cooler then with stock fan since its not getting hot air from the cooler blown on it.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
@th3m3erc

Fantastic job on your mod, the risk you took is well worth it. +rep for you
thumb.gif

Im not sure for amd temps as i have nvidia cards but those look to be very good imo. My rad hoses are too short to reach any intake spots so ive got the rad dangling from the hoses about four inches from the bottom intake. It was secured to the bottom but a new psu (larger psu than the one i had before) has covered over most of the screw holes for the fan in that spot. My H70 hoses are to short to reach any other spots in my case. Even with that said my temps have dropped another 4c of load temps by doing this. I think i was kinking a hose or too many angles before, either way im happy for the decrease in temps.

As the other asked about vrm and vram temps my 560ti had no cooling beyond the H70 pump and i left the shroud on, i was fine for months running the card like that, even heavy ocing did not seem to affect the performance. Looking back though, as i had no replacement card i would not do that again without a spot fan of some type to the pcb.

Ill post up some pics, i was going to wait to get my sleeved cable extentions before posting pics as i no longer have a fully sleeved psu but to show the setup ill post the ugly stock cables.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My temps are pretty much the same as th3m3rc. 51 load and 31 idle

Here is a photo guide on how i did mine. Its pretty self explanatory

P1314132.jpg

P1314134.jpg

P1314137.jpg

P1314139.jpg

P1314140.jpg

P1314144.jpg

P1314145.jpg

P1314146.jpg

P1314149.jpg

The radiator is actually in my HD bays now blowing out... worked out better that way for me. YMMV!

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks good,
Just to confirm thats a 5870.
Have you done any overclocking on it yet?

• Rep+
Reactions: TheBirdman74

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Just wait for a Kiwi to steal some done to death idea and then call it some "Kiwi Ingenuity" and then continue to chest thump and call it Kiwi and declare it better than anything else when its just the same if not inferior to the rest of the other products. Kiwi Dairy. Ya right, Where Milk costs more then the inferior brewed beer. Like if it wasn't enough that we expat's are made to pay twice or three times what the hardware's are worth here. YA the Kuhler 620 actually costs $100 - $150 here. and the HD7970 was going for $1200 in retail a two weeks ago.
mad.gif

I hate Kiwis and their tall poppy syndrome
- Francis L4D

/// Jokes and rants aside, AS much as I hate the red team, I gotta say you did a good Job Bud. Maybe this will draw some much needed attention from both Crosair and Antec to include some GPU brackets with their Astek / CoolIt hardware.
+ Reps
thumb.gif

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love kiwi jokes since I only live here, Im actually Hungarian lol.
Those are some bad prices TheBirdman74. Where abouts do you live?
Even here at the bottom of the world with a very low valued currency (NZD) they dont cost that much.
I picked my 7970 up for $899NZD about 3 weeks ago and the 620 goes for $70-80NZD you just have to shop around.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello,

I actually run a couple of 6850 passives , but I am thinking about upgrading to get a eyefinity setup.

has anyone tried to mod a 7970 / 7950 yet ?

I have read somewhere that those cards use a kind of spacer around the GPU, maybe this would be a problem ?

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was going to do it to my 7970 but its in my mates rig.
The only problem I saw with it was that the VRM area gets extremely hot so you would need a dedicated fan for that, And also the die is on a angle instead of being square with the chip (hence why aftermarket coolers need a spacer on them so the full die is covered)

Other then that it should work perfectly, But the 7970's dont run that hot anyway.

1 - 20 of 3012 Posts