Overclock.net banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post

any ETA when this software will be ready for Windows 8?

Also a more general question, do you uninstall drivers before running this utility or do you just run the utility and it does it all for you?
Procedure

-1-Uninstall CAP (Catalyst Applications Profile) from "Uninstall or change a program"

-2-Run ATI Uninstaller Utility

(BUT do not uninstall AMD Catalyst Software from "Uninstall or change a program" first, the utility will do everything)

·
PC Gamer
3,909 Posts
If this works as good as it sounds then I might stick with AMD for quite awhile.

Their driver installations are the only thing that makes me wanna switch over to the green team but that may change with this tool.

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have yet to meet my monthly quota of stupid questions anyway.

Why would I want to run this tool as opposed to just letting CCC update itself? I haven't had a problem requiring a tool to clean up AMD GPU driver issues that I can recall, of course I don't usually mess with the beta drivers.

I am at 12.10 now with a 6750 and all is well. I have a 7850 that should be delivered today and was just planning to swap the cards and run the automated software update to reinstall the drivers and bring it up to 13.1, Is there any reason to run this tool during the process?

Edit - to add during initial system set up, the utility to get my motherboard drivers installed puts an ancient copy of CCC on the system. As far as I know the newer versions downloaded from AMD do not include the chipset drivers. I don't know that I want these removed.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
sometimes there are changes to the registry entries between releases and the CIM doesnt catch them all.

this scrubs the registry.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am really pleased with the graphics division and how the team has stepped up their efforts with the drivers and now providing a cleaning utility. Keep it up!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko1 View Post

This is what someone experienced in another forum... and I have to say I have the same issue.

My settings for my taskbar changed. Now I am unable to look at power options... I am also unable to go into safe mode.

Can those of you with Windows 8 and used the utility... try going to your power options and see if you are able to change any settings?

What mine looks like....

Then after doing a system restore... to right before I used the utility it was working fine:

More people need to see this. I wanted to say that this same thing happened to me the other night when using this to uninstall AMD Drivers. It also caused my computer case fans to act up. I'm using a sapphire 7970 oc edition and a 3570k chip. The only way to remedy this was to do a system refresh, which greatly annoyed me. So to those who are wondering if it is safe with Windows 8, use Extreme caution!

EDIT: I wanted to note that uninstalling drivers through AMD Catalyst Install Manager has always been sufficient for me. This seems to be overkill

61 - 75 of 75 Posts