Overclock.net banner
1001 - 1020 of 1073 Posts

·
Iconoclast
31,437 Posts
Was doing iterations of 3DMark Time Spy Extreme at various permutations of settings. Except for FCLK, my 6800 XT was set to 2477-2577 core, 2124 memory (fast timings), 1100mV core, 1050mV SoC, 375W PPT, 300A/55A TDC. There was no throttling. System is a lean Windows 10 Education 20H2 install and nothing but essential services were running during the tests.

I ran the two graphics tests (no demo, no CPU test), starting roughly two minutes after boot, and left a roughly one minute interval between finishing one interation and starting the next.

Scores, ordered by clean boot order (five, ten, ten, five iterations):

2000/2000 FCLK/FCLK Boost (boot 1)

10106 10159 10146 10157 10144

2000/1400 FCLK/Boost (boot 2)

10145 10137 10113 10116 10159 10117 10140 10104 10146 10140

2000/2000 FCLK/Boost (boot 3)

10119 10132 10135 10122 10139 10132 10125 10126 10123 10135

2000/1400 FCLK/Boost (boot 4)

10136 10114 10113 10108 10139

Got bored after thirty runs.

It's really close, but there is barely a measurable edge in consistency and score in favor of the synced FCLK and FCLK boost.

Hardly conclusive of anything, but it's enough for me to leave FCLK boost at 2GHz as it doesn't seem to be hurting anything and might ever so slightly help.

Will probably try setting the boost higher than the FCLK itself tomorrow to see if that does anything. Not expecting it to.

·
Registered
3600XT | 6800 XT
2 Posts
Hello everyone. Hope you're having a great time.
I picked up an XFX Merc 319 6800 XT last week, (upgrading from 2070 Super) and I was browsing through this forum, and it occurred to me; my card is underperforming heavily compared to the results you fellow over-clockers have posted here. First off, let me list my system's config:

Ryzen 5 3600XT (-.1 undervolted, clocked at 4.4)
XFX Merc 319 CORE 6800 XT (Base Clock 2015, Boost Clock: 2250)
16GB 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance
Asus Prime X470-Pro

Now, I know my CPU isn't that great and I know it can cause bottleneck at times, but I even saw my sole Graphics score was lower than you guys (In Time Spy and FireStrike). Now, I myself am NOT an overclocker and I know little about overclocking, but below, I'm attaching my system's TimeSpy results (You can guess from the score how it runs)

My Gpu was running at around 2300 Mhz at core clock and 1988 Mhz at Mem clock when running the benchmark. The Fan speed was 1500RPM and max temp was 78 C. I did not touch a single overclocking parameter on the card; just installed 3DMARK and started benchmarking.
Now my question from you guys is: What am I doing wrong? What hardware is problematic? (Aside from the Bottlenecked CPU!!!) I know my GPU has less out-of-the-box clocks than the, say, Nitro+ version of the card, but I know for a fact that XFX Merc 319 is one of the best 6800 XTs you can get.
Can you please help and guide me to do a very basic overclocking for my GPU so I can get almost the same Graphics score as much as you guys? Like telling me to increase voltage, clock, ...? If you can help, I'd appreciate it very much. I'm starting to worry really badly. Idk why my card is under-performing that much. (Re-sizable BAR is enabled btw.)
Much appreciated.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,627 Posts
Hello everyone. Hope you're having a great time.
I picked up an XFX Merc 319 6800 XT last week, (upgrading from 2070 Super) and I was browsing through this forum, and it occurred to me; my card is underperforming heavily compared to the results you fellow over-clockers have posted here. First off, let me list my system's config:

Ryzen 5 3600XT (-.1 undervolted, clocked at 4.4)
XFX Merc 319 CORE 6800 XT (Base Clock 2015, Boost Clock: 2250)
16GB 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance
Asus Prime X470-Pro

Now, I know my CPU isn't that great and I know it can cause bottleneck at times, but I even saw my sole Graphics score was lower than you guys (In Time Spy and FireStrike). Now, I myself am NOT an overclocker and I know little about overclocking, but below, I'm attaching my system's TimeSpy results (You can guess from the score how it runs)
View attachment 2518755
My Gpu was running at around 2300 Mhz at core clock and 1988 Mhz at Mem clock when running the benchmark. The Fan speed was 1500RPM and max temp was 78 C. I did not touch a single overclocking parameter on the card; just installed 3DMARK and started benchmarking.
Now my question from you guys is: What am I doing wrong? What hardware is problematic? (Aside from the Bottlenecked CPU!!!) I know my GPU has less out-of-the-box clocks than the, say, Nitro+ version of the card, but I know for a fact that XFX Merc 319 is one of the best 6800 XTs you can get.
Can you please help and guide me to do a very basic overclocking for my GPU so I can get almost the same Graphics score as much as you guys? Like telling me to increase voltage, clock, ...? If you can help, I'd appreciate it very much. I'm starting to worry really badly. Idk why my card is under-performing that much. (Re-sizable BAR is enabled btw.)
Much appreciated.
That score looks normal, that is what my card scores stock if you don't overclock it. I can get 20000 once I use MPT and overclock the card.

• Rep+
Reactions: Maj0r_P1st0l

·
Registered
3600XT | 6800 XT
2 Posts
That score looks normal, that is what my card scores stock if you don't overclock it. I can get 20000 once I use MPT and overclock the card.
Thank you for taking the time to answer.
I ended up OCing the card a little bit (2550mhz core. 2100mhz memory. 1065mv. Fast memory timings. 15% power limit.) and the score cracked 20K, so I figured I was off the hook.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all,

thanks for all the information contained within this thread. I’ve successfully UV + OCd my Sapphire Nitro+ and am very happy to have achieved my goal. On mobile right now, but I believe my settings to be:

2350 min - 2450 max core @ 1050mv
Fast mem timing at 2100
Raised power limit to 315w via MPT
Disabled all entries that begin with DS_ via MPT ( I believe these to be deep sleep related or so I’ve been told. I found that disabling these entries ensures smooth, consistent clock speeds and eliminates an annoying stuttering issue I was having)

I do have one question, is leaving those core clock settings 24/7 “safe” for the card? Or will this reduce the lifespan of my GPU? I have an extended warranty through Microcenter, and I’m not afraid to use it if need be.

·
Not new anymore
867 Posts
Hey all,

thanks for all the information contained within this thread. I’ve successfully UV + OCd my Sapphire Nitro+ and am very happy to have achieved my goal. On mobile right now, but I believe my settings to be:

Fast mem timing at 2100
Disabled all entries that begin with DS_ via MPT ( I believe these to be deep sleep related or so I’ve been told. I found that disabling these entries ensures smooth, consistent clock speeds and eliminates an annoying stuttering issue I was having)

I do have one question, is leaving those core clock settings 24/7 “safe” for the card? Or will this reduce the lifespan of my GPU? I have an extended warranty through Microcenter, and I’m not afraid to use it if need be.
Hey man, sorry I can't help with your question for the time being, as I don't have a 6800XT yet. I will be ordering one soon and I'll probably go with the Nitro+ SE. How are you liking your Nitro so far? Any criticisms of it? I have the 5700XT Nitro and I'm very happy with it. Only problem is that hotspot temps tend to go quite high when overclocking, but that is the case for all air cooled 5700XTs, having like 250W concentrated in such a small die must be really hard to tame.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey man, sorry I can't help with your question for the time being, as I don't have a 6800XT yet. I will be ordering one soon and I'll probably go with the Nitro+ SE. How are you liking your Nitro so far? Any criticisms of it? I have the 5700XT Nitro and I'm very happy with it. Only problem is that hotspot temps tend to go quite high when overclocking, but that is the case for all air cooled 5700XTs, having like 250W concentrated in such a small die must be really hard to tame.
Np! I love this card man, it’s quiet and even cooler now with the UV/OC I applied. It’s a hefty card, and the RGB isn’t overkill. This was my first foray on team red (I bought a 3080 and it gave me the black screen error within less than a month of owning it). I’m impressed with how this card performs, and I can see my self keeping it for long while as I game at 1440p/160hz. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Hey all,

Fast mem timing at 2100

Those clocks won't damage your card at all. In fact, if anything, you're probably prolonging the lifespan of the card through lowering the voltage, which in turn lowers the power, lowers the heat output, less strain on the vrms etc. If you're happy with those settings, you're sitting pretty my friend. Enjoy your card.

• Rep+
Reactions: un1que_nyc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those clocks won't damage your card at all. In fact, if anything, you're probably prolonging the lifespan of the card through lowering the voltage, which in turn lowers the power, lowers the heat output, less strain on the vrms etc. If you're happy with those settings, you're sitting pretty my friend. Enjoy your card.
Reading your explanation makes total sense, and puts me at ease. I thought about tweaking some more, but decided against it. The final confirmation was my Timespy score, I think it was 20,4xx. Set it and forget it! (Until the next driver update rolls around lol)

thanks a bunch!

·
Not new anymore
867 Posts
Np! I love this card man, it’s quiet and even cooler now with the UV/OC I applied. It’s a hefty card, and the RGB isn’t overkill. This was my first foray on team red (I bought a 3080 and it gave me the black screen error within less than a month of owning it). I’m impressed with how this card performs, and I can see my self keeping it for long while as I game at 1440p/160hz. Highly recommended!
As far as looks go, yeah, it's a great piece of kit. The 6800XT Nitro+ isn't very different from the 5700XT model, although I suspect the 6800XT should be bigger. Anyways, thanks for your input! As I said in a previous rather paranoid post of mine, the only thing I've ended up trusting when it comes to PC hardware is user reviews. Seeing a person actively using a card daily and being happy with it is worth more to me than 10 reviews, so your opinion is very valuable to me.

With that said, barring any unforeseen issues, I'll be ordering my card today, before the store gouges the price even more. Sent out my 5700XT today to the guy that bought it and I'm ready for an upgrade. To be fair, the 6800XT is kind of overkill for my current setup, as even the 5700XT mostly chews through 1440p 144Hz if I don't crank every setting, but I will probably soon be moving houses and, if I do, I will be upgrading to a 1440p 240Hz monitor and a 4K 120Hz OLED TV. I suppose I'll appreciate the card more then. Even so, at least I'll be giving my 5900x some work to do. With the 5700XT it was barely feeling the load. That CPU is a beast, never expected such a huge performance increase over my 3800x. 5900x only had PBO and XMP enabled, otherwise stock, and it was like 15-20% faster in games than the 3800x that was tuned to its limits. And that was with the bottleneck squarely on the GPU side. I didn't even bother with the comparison when I started tuning for the 5900x.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As far as looks go, yeah, it's a great piece of kit. The 6800XT Nitro+ isn't very different from the 5700XT model, although I suspect the 6800XT should be bigger. Anyways, thanks for your input! As I said in a previous rather paranoid post of mine, the only thing I've ended up trusting when it comes to PC hardware is user reviews. Seeing a person actively using a card daily and being happy with it is worth more to me than 10 reviews, so your opinion is very valuable to me.

With that said, barring any unforeseen issues, I'll be ordering my card today, before the store gouges the price even more. Sent out my 5700XT today to the guy that bought it and I'm ready for an upgrade. To be fair, the 6800XT is kind of overkill for my current setup, as even the 5700XT mostly chews through 1440p 144Hz if I don't crank every setting, but I will probably soon be moving houses and, if I do, I will be upgrading to a 1440p 240Hz monitor and a 4K 120Hz OLED TV. I suppose I'll appreciate the card more then. Even so, at least I'll be giving my 5900x some work to do. With the 5700XT it was barely feeling the load. That CPU is a beast, never expected such a huge performance increase over my 3800x. 5900x only had PBO and XMP enabled, otherwise stock, and it was like 15-20% faster in games than the 3800x that was tuned to its limits. And that was with the bottleneck squarely on the GPU side. I didn't even bother with the comparison when I started tuning for the 5900x.
I’m the same way as you, as I feel reviews nowadays are mostly bought for or paid to paint the product in a certain positive light except for a select few YT channels. I won’t lie, it was a major adjustment coming from team green as far as settings, driver UI etc but man it was worth it. I will say the only issue I had was that the card would randomly drop from like 2000mhz on the core clock to like 0 for a solid second and then wake up back to normal. That caused major stuttering and in certain games it was driving me insane. I eventually came to a post on Reddit where someone mentioned a fix using MPT and I applied the same thing and instantly the stuttering or major core clock speed drops went away. I’m not sure if it’s a driver thing or a common RDNA thing, but now this card just works. I’m sure you’ll enjoy this card, especially paired with the 5900x. I myself have a 3800x, and have constantly thought about jumping into the 5900x but every time I’m at the checkout screen I just can’t justify upgrading so soon. My last build was from 2011ish, using a 2500k. I originally upgraded in early 2019 to a 9600k. I quickly realized how stupid that move was, sold the Intel build and went into the AMD build. So yeah, I’m looking to get the same mileage out of this 3800x as I did on the 2500k, but I’ll tell you, fighting against upgradeitis is no easy task!

·
Not new anymore
867 Posts
I’m the same way as you, as I feel reviews nowadays are mostly bought for or paid to paint the product in a certain positive light except for a select few YT channels. I won’t lie, it was a major adjustment coming from team green as far as settings, driver UI etc but man it was worth it. I will say the only issue I had was that the card would randomly drop from like 2000mhz on the core clock to like 0 for a solid second and then wake up back to normal. That caused major stuttering and in certain games it was driving me insane. I eventually came to a post on Reddit where someone mentioned a fix using MPT and I applied the same thing and instantly the stuttering or major core clock speed drops went away. I’m not sure if it’s a driver thing or a common RDNA thing, but now this card just works. I’m sure you’ll enjoy this card, especially paired with the 5900x. I myself have a 3800x, and have constantly thought about jumping into the 5900x but every time I’m at the checkout screen I just can’t justify upgrading so soon. My last build was from 2011ish, using a 2500k. I originally upgraded in early 2019 to a 9600k. I quickly realized how stupid that move was, sold the Intel build and went into the AMD build. So yeah, I’m looking to get the same mileage out of this 3800x as I did on the 2500k, but I’ll tell you, fighting against upgradeitis is no easy task!
As a chronic sufferer of sometimes severe upgradeitis, I understand you. It's a tough situation. :D

Well, let me tell you, the upgrade is worth it. I don't know if the 5900x itself is worth it if you can't take advantage of these extra threads, but Zen 3 is something else. Before my 3800x I had an i7 4790k running at 4.8GHz with RAM running at 2400MHz with tight timings. That thing could easily stand among the 7700k and sometimes even 8700k without shame. But I wanted to upgrade and I wanted AMD to get my money, so I waited for Zen 2. I underestimated how much of an upgrade that would be, it was day and night. No longer was my system unusable when encoding video, no longer did I have to close everything if I wanted to game, no longer would it bog down during CPU intensive games. The upgrade to the 5900x from the 3800x wasn't as huge, but it felt equally substantial. Framedrops? Gone. Stuttering in some instances? Gone. Slowdowns because some background activity kicked in? Gone. Decreased performance because there's crap running in the background that I didn't bother closing? Gone. Not to mention the generally much higher performance. And considering it was a drop in upgrade, it was a no brainer for me. Sold my 3800x for 200€ and got the 5900x for just under 600€. Worth every last of these euros. And again, we're talking about my system with the 5700XT. Can't imagine the difference it would make with a card literally twice as powerful.

·
Iconoclast
31,437 Posts
Power draw is up a bit in anything that performs better on the 21.7.2 drivers. Ended up ditching my minor FCLK OC to make sure I could retain my prior core OC.

·
Not new anymore
867 Posts
So, my 6800XT is probably gonna be on its way by Monday and I'm starting to do my research on what to do and what to expect in terms of overclocking and such. The more I read and the more videos I watch, the more I wonder how cherry picked the samples sent to some YouTubers must have been. The most blatant one is the XFX card, with which YouTubers like JayzTwoCents were just maxing out the sliders no problem, getting over 2700MHz actual clocks in games. I have yet to see a user or a smaller reviewer report such numbers without trouble. What's the deal here?

·
PC Evangelist
47,668 Posts
So, my 6800XT is probably gonna be on its way by Monday and I'm starting to do my research on what to do and what to expect in terms of overclocking and such. The more I read and the more videos I watch, the more I wonder how cherry picked the samples sent to some YouTubers must have been. The most blatant one is the XFX card, with which YouTubers like JayzTwoCents were just maxing out the sliders no problem, getting over 2700MHz actual clocks in games. I have yet to see a user or a smaller reviewer report such numbers without trouble. What's the deal here?
It depends on the game. Most cards can do 2700MHz but stuff like TimeSpy and RT need lower clocks. Also new drivers are more sensitive to OC but give better performance at same clocks.

·
Manual breath enabled
1,331 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
I hate being that guy, but I'm bumping my post from a few days ago. I probably don't have any other choice other than the Pulse and Nitro+ (the Asus TUF card was also available but it's gone now), but if, let's say, the Nitro+ SE sucks, I might need to weigh my options and I'd really appreciate the feedback, especially considering overclocking potential (not silicon lottery, but rather whether it's for example limited by its two rather than three 8-pin power plugs).

Thanks in advance guys (and girls, if there's any)!
The Asrock Taichi 6800XT is a good choice, as good or better than the 2 you mention. I can run it on air at above 2700mhz without crashing and memory overclock is a mild 3% or 2060mhz.

Attachments

• Rep+
Reactions: tolis626
1001 - 1020 of 1073 Posts