Overclock.net banner
1981 - 2000 of 2525 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want a non H chip that does well you need to pick cards that have strong factory overclocks because that's a pretty good indicative of the quality of the silicon.
For instance, my Toxic comes with a boost clock of 2660 Mhz and 2100 Mhz memory OC (16.8 Gbps). This is guaranteed so I already knew the card was higher than average but still, there are better cards here that aren't H chips but that's rare.

In fact, I've seen only 1 bench here in Time Spy higher than my Toxic non H chip (22.200 Graphic Score).

Being on water helps a ton too because hotspot temp is nowhere near throttle limit.

Though, I have seen a case like yours, where the card barely beat 3080's on synthetics. All in all I wouldn't stress too much about synthethics because the difference between 2500 and 2700 is like 1 to 3 frames most of the time??
I have my reference card stable in everything including all TimeSpy stress test at the same frequency as yours. However, the TimeSpy GT2 stress test (looping enabled) fails sometimes for these settings while at other times it runs for more than 40 loops without any issue for the same time. Also, the failure is generic "an error occurred". Can I request one thing? Can you do a run on your GPU with on TimpeSPY GT2 test on loop and share your results.

·
Registered
5800X | 6900XT | X570 Crosshair Impact | Teamgroup 3600Cl14 32GB | Cooling: 2x360 | 2x560 | Mora 420
26 Posts
Got the 6900XT Phantom Gaming and bykski waterblock on the way. Hope I get a good sample 🙂

·
Registered
137 Posts

My new boy !!!! :p

• Rep+
Reactions: kratosatlante

·
Registered
60 Posts
The AMD 16-cores with dual physical chiplets are binned differently and also have extra boost steps (> heat of 16c/32t). Below is a quick run I did with the 5950X/3090 on the other system, it too squiggles, though not as much as the 3950X does, because the former has a custom loop for the CPU...as shown before, if I lock all-core, it becomes smooth...the 3950X/6900XT just needs to get the full custom loop-treatment installed (all parts are here)

Have you checked Bykski ? They seem to have a lot of different 6090 XT blocks for both reference and even rarer custom PCBs...below is the one for my Gigab. Gaming OC, waiting for my attention...
They don't make one for my card (yet) . It's an MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio :(

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Isn't that a really highly binned version? If it actually throttles at stock, I'd think that's a good enough reason to RMA, not?
It doesn't throttle at stock, but it gets really toasty. Only when I start overclocking. This is an overclocking card though. It runs at 2700MHz at 110C junction 99% utilization with ray tracing though, so imagine what it can do under water.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It doesn't throttle at stock, but it gets really toasty. Only when I start overclocking. This is an overclocking card though. It runs at 2700MHz at 110C junction 99% utilization with ray tracing though, so imagine what it can do under water.
Oh, I see. That's pretty sweet. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

·
Old School Overclocker !
383 Posts
Well , after an horrible experience with Alphacool making people pay for a water block ( Red Devil 6900xt FC Block ) that they do not even know when it will be in stock and ship to clients and changing delivering dates every week with no real date of shipping since 5 months ago + customer service not answering emails i decided to cancel my preorder with them. 0_o just a heads up stay away from false shipping dates from alphacool as they will take your money and make you wait months uppon months put infinite here ...

I order a Byski water block and it arrived in 6 days from Formula Mod. I'm very impress with the quality of the Red Devil rx6900xt water block from Byski , beatiful machining with no smudges ( aheemm EK blocks lol ) or visible work on the nickel plated block just 100% perfect without imperfections. It came with a very thick backplate , rgb , rgb controller , good quality small screwdriver , extra screws and a lot of extra thermal pads. Absolutely loving it !

This is my third Byski block for this generation of gpus ( rtx3090 , rtx 3070 and now rx6900xt ) and they have raise the bar so high than EK and Alphacool looks like low cost cheap options but in reality this Byski block is a lot cheaper than both EK and Alphacool as they are asking way too much money for what they offer. I will post temperatures testing later on my now water cool Red Devil rx6900 xtx-h ultimate. Here is a picture of the water block just finished installing it ( I forgot to rip the plastic shrink covering this top part of the block hence it may look wavy , with dust or imperfect but is the plastic protecting the block ).

Installation guide and support page at Byski - Bykski A-PC6900XT-X GPU BLOCK PowerColor RX6900/6800 XT Red Devil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alphacool do seem to lack any kind of customer service skills! Is that block sealed OK? seems to be something (liquid) on the wrong side of the gasket, pressed between the plexi?

On another note, I had a brain wave regarding my ASRock Phantom OC and Corsair block. I was never really happy with the temps, they always seemed high compared to others, so I did two things.

Firstly, I remounted the block using liquid metal (I know lol) but carefully protected the areas around the GPU.

Secondly, before remounting, I pressed down on all the (pre installed) thermal pads, flattening them, I had a hunch they were too thick and may be causing a low pressure mount.

Low and behold my temps dropped massively! Under load I haven't seen over 45/65c (core/junction, time spy extreme/port royal) and it's the hottest day of the year!

Anyone using the corsair block, flatten those pads! (and if crazy like me, use liquid metal)

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well , after an horrible experience with Alphacool making people pay for a water block ( Red Devil 6900xt FC Block ) that they do not even know when it will be in stock and ship to clients and changing delivering dates every week with no real date of shipping since 5 months ago + customer service not answering emails i decided to cancel my preorder with them. 0_o just a heads up stay away from false shipping dates from alphacool as they will take your money and make you wait months uppon months put infinite here ...

I order a Byski water block and it arrived in 6 days from Formula Mod. I'm very impress with the quality of the Red Devil rx6900xt water block from Byski , beatiful machining with no smudges ( aheemm EK blocks lol ) or visible work on the nickel plated block just 100% perfect without imperfections. It came with a very thick backplate , rgb , rgb controller , good quality small screwdriver , extra screws and a lot of extra thermal pads. Absolutely loving it !

This is my third Byski block for this generation of gpus ( rtx3090 , rtx 3070 and now rx6900xt ) and they have raise the bar so high than EK and Alphacool looks like low cost cheap options but in reality this Byski block is a lot cheaper than both EK and Alphacool as they are asking way too much money for what they offer. I will post temperatures testing later on my now water cool Red Devil rx6900 xtx-h ultimate. Here is a picture of the water block just finished installing it ( I forgot to rip the plastic shrink covering this top part of the block hence it may look wavy , with dust or imperfect but is the plastic protecting the block ).

Installation guide and support page at Byski - Bykski A-PC6900XT-X GPU BLOCK PowerColor RX6900/6800 XT Red Devil

View attachment 2514141
That's the same one I ordered, also from formula mod. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'm pumped (pun intended) to get it all set up.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Anyone soldered an Elmor EVC controller to these cards?
I'm thinking about buying one and doing the mod on my Toxic since these cards have a ****ton o vcore droop under load.

·
Invalid Media
4,396 Posts
(...)
(...)
...I was also really impressed with the Bykski finish (compared to my EK block per spoiler...caution: R-rated)...I got my Bykski for the Giga Gaming OC 3x8 from Bykski.US (fast delivery, even w/international border and weekend in-between)

(...)
On another note, I had a brain wave regarding my ASRock Phantom OC and Corsair block. I was never really happy with the temps, they always seemed high compared to others, so I did two things.(...) Anyone using the corsair block, flatten those pads! (and if crazy like me, use liquid metal)
Cheers! :)
...I'm not surprised that the ASRock Phantom OC is a bit of a 'heater', even with a water block...I like to check out various bios from the TPU VGA bios database, and this is the MPT view of what was in the verified section for the ASRock Phantom OC:

...that also brings up another 'side-issue'. I've seen MPT guides on YT that refer to the 'TDC Limit GFX (A)' as a 'W' watt number...

Anyway, while on the topic of MPT, I take it the other adjustment options in such as 'Maximum Voltage GFX (mV)' should not be touched ?

Finally, what with various water blocks for different gen and vendor cards in my builds, it can get quite frustrating to find the right 'thermal pad' thickness. While I have lots of different sizes of Thermalright Odyssey pads (12.8 W/mk) on hand, I just received this 'thermal putty' below...haven't tried it yet myself, but thermal putty (this one with a 10.0 W/mK rating) can be very useful for things like VRAM and VRM as they are compliant and adapt to the available space but stay put...this one came recommended by another 3090 user.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That BIOS looks like the updated "ultimate" version of the card. 1.2v core voltage and a higher stock power limit than my normal card :)

My card is way, way cooler now, the corsair pads really need flattening out for optimal contact. If that is true just for those that rigged the block to fit the ASRock card, or the reference card too, I could not say.

But anyone that has this block, I would highly recommend remounting with flatter pads!

I have used similar putty in my laptop, worked very well
...I was also really impressed with the Bykski finish (compared to my EK block per spoiler...caution: R-rated)...I got my Bykski for the Giga Gaming OC 3x8 from Bykski.US (fast delivery, even w/international border and weekend in-between)

...I'm not surprised that the ASRock Phantom OC is a bit of a 'heater', even with a water block...I like to check out various bios from the TPU VGA bios database, and this is the MPT view of what was in the verified section for the ASRock Phantom OC:

View attachment 2514160

...that also brings up another 'side-issue'. I've seen MPT guides on YT that refer to the 'TDC Limit GFX (A)' as a 'W' watt number...

Anyway, while on the topic of MPT, I take it the other adjustment options in such as 'Maximum Voltage GFX (mV)' should not be touched ?

Finally, what with various water blocks for different gen and vendor cards in my builds, it can get quite frustrating to find the right 'thermal pad' thickness. While I have lots of different sizes of Thermalright Odyssey pads (12.8 W/mk) on hand, I just received this 'thermal putty' below...haven't tried it yet myself, but thermal putty (this one with a 10.0 W/mK rating) can be very useful for things like VRAM and VRM as they are compliant and adapt to the available space but stay put...this one came recommended by another 3090 user.

View attachment 2514162
:D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Anyone soldered an Elmor EVC controller to these cards?
I'm thinking about buying one and doing the mod on my Toxic since these cards have a ****ton o vcore droop under load.
I got time and will finally do mine Thursday or Friday been a long wait .. think I might Notch out my back plate on my waterblock I'll take photos and 🙏 it all goes good

·
Registered
98 Posts

View attachment 2514160

View attachment 2514162
this screen of more powertool is from ASRock Phantom OC ?, acept 1.2v?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quick update on my Alphacool 6900xt red devil temps. Mostly stays around 42-52C gpu and 55-65C hot spot, but I noticed a really strange jump to 87C max on hot spot when using HWinfo for the whole day when gaming, working and doing a mixture of other stuff with the computer.

I wonder how accurate HWinfo is. Average hotspot was around 58C though... hmm... HW Monitor shows 65C max hot spot. CPU max was 68C as well, whereas HW Monitor shows 55C. MSI Afterburner shows GPU being always under 68C hot spot when gaming. Just in case, I checked if there has been a leak, but everything looks good.

Has anyone here had any strange peak temp bugs or jumps with waterblocked 6900xt using HWinfo64?

1981 - 2000 of 2525 Posts