Overclock.net banner
2481 - 2500 of 3625 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
I know not many people have them but has anyone changed the fans on the 6900xt toxic radiator. The plugs from the video card do not allow normal fans. Is there anyway to control the pump?
@weleh has changed them, I decided to keep the stock ones as I like the rgb and they are silent sub 1000rpm which is enough to cool up to 400W+ at max clock speed.

·
Invalid Media
4,786 Posts
...not sure if you folks have been following the drama re. Amazon's New World beta and its bricking of select 3090s. So far, it seems to concern mostly select EVGA 3090 Ampere, but until the real cause is identified, it pays to be cautious with high-power (400W+) GPUs with that app. While my 500W+ 3090 is an Asus Strix, I'm still paranoid about it, and the same holds w/ my custom-MPT-PL 6900XT. Apparently, it happens in the menu when it can exceed several thousand fps.

...per below, I've been playing around w/ MPT beta 4 a bit to see what max I can get (just for the fun of it) with my 6900XT non-H :D To be sure, this is using just a light artifact scanning 3D app, and those values are certainly NOT 3DM TS or Superposition stable (I wish). Also, the GPU and VRAM max speeds were achieved separately (given MPT B4's current issue on GPU speed when pushing VRAM past 2150 on non-H).

...finally, I noticed how hot the backplate can get on my 6900XT even in regular use / stock MPT, especially now as I'm back on air while updating the water-loop. In fact, it gets hotter than the backplate on my 3090 - which are notorious for 'heater backplates' due to GDDR6X and the double-sided arrangement for the 24 GB on the card. A hot backplate isn't necessary a bad thing (it means it does transfer heat well) but I'm adding the big heatsink pictured below - it came in a pack of two anyway (Amazon, heatsink for audio amps). I'm using an extra-wide sheet of Thermalright 12.8 W/mk thermalpads to mount this heatsink.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey gang!

Finally disassembled the custom loop, and of course spilled accidentally water on mobo, so I have to let the parts dry 48hrs before turning this thing on. I had power off for 130 minutes before the spill, but had actually PSU cables attached to the mobo (PSU not connected on the wall), so I wonder if I shorted something. I shall see. At least I took 6900xt out of it before that, so that’s saved. I’m sure the PC is fine anyway. I’m such a f-up with this stuff, but I love it!

Meanwhile, I took photos of the GPU waterblock mount and it’s quite easy to see why the temps were spiking. It was a bad mount, and probably too little thermal paste, unevenly spread.

One thing I noticed on the PCB is that it has pre-attached black washers (see last pic, a bit hard to see but there’s 4x of them) around the X pattern screwholes. As per the instructions, I put on top of that the waterblock washers. There are three screws which do not have those black washers. I wonder, should I only use three washers, because the black attached washers add height? Or perhaps I should try and remove the black pre-installed washers? Advice would be much appreciated!

Another thing you may notice is that there’s one tiny thermal pad on the backside (pic 3) which seemed to get extra pressure compared to other pads, I do wonder if the height is also correct or not. The guide was for 6800xt, although the block is designed for both cards (and has room for three pins, this is common knowledge and their website says the same thing.)

What do you guys think!

·
Registered
731 Posts
...not sure if you folks have been following the drama re. Amazon's New World beta and its bricking of select 3090s. So far, it seems to concern mostly select EVGA 3090 Ampere, but until the real cause is identified, it pays to be cautious with high-power (400W+) GPUs with that app. While my 500W+ 3090 is an Asus Strix, I'm still paranoid about it, and the same holds w/ my custom-MPT-PL 6900XT. Apparently, it happens in the menu when it can exceed several thousand fps.

...per below, I've been playing around w/ MPT beta 4 a bit to see what max I can get (just for the fun of it) with my 6900XT non-H :D To be sure, this is using just a light artifact scanning 3D app, and those values are certainly NOT 3DM TS or Superposition stable (I wish). Also, the GPU and VRAM max speeds were achieved separately (given MPT B4's current issue on GPU speed when pushing VRAM past 2150 on non-H).

...finally, I noticed how hot the backplate can get on my 6900XT even in regular use / stock MPT, especially now as I'm back on air while updating the water-loop. In fact, it gets hotter than the backplate on my 3090 - which are notorious for 'heater backplates' due to GDDR6X and the double-sided arrangement for the 24 GB on the card. A hot backplate isn't necessary a bad thing (it means it does transfer heat well) but I'm adding the big heatsink pictured below - it came in a pack of two anyway (Amazon, heatsink for audio amps). I'm using an extra-wide sheet of Thermalright 12.8 W/mk thermalpads to mount this heatsink.

View attachment 2518422

View attachment 2518421
Yes I saw the drama involving that game. Looks like a few 3090's are not up to the task of the high menu FPS. Same could probably happen to AMD GPUs if peeps are running a silly high power limit tbf. Not a game I am interested in thankfully.

·
Registered
458 Posts
As far as I could research, it's a design flaw with EVGA, shouldn't affect any other card on the market. It's also unconfirmed if people were actually using XOC bioses on their cards when it happened or if stock cards are also affected.

Let's not forget that, earlier after release, 3090 from EVGA were already dying prior to all of this due to bad design with voltage controller. They later released a new revision PCB with it fixed. Are these cards bricking older revision? Well we don't know.

Igor from Igor's Lab says, it's actually not the voltage controller area that's affected but the ICX fan controller.

Too many questions, too little answers. EVGA and Nvidia are supposedly looking at it and so far, no other card besides EVGA's FTW3 (or cards with ICX tech) are blowing up.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I know not many people have them but has anyone changed the fans on the 6900xt toxic radiator. The plugs from the video card do not allow normal fans. Is there anyway to control the pump?
I have changed them to Noctua NF A12x25's.

The headers Sapphire uses are ARGB so I guess any ARGB fans would fit in there. I have mine plugged onto the motherboard and controlled via BIOS curve so it doesn't bother me because NF A12x25s at 1300 RPM are enough to cool 400W on this card at very low and inaudible noise levels.

About the pump, you cannot control it. I spoke with Sapphire_Edd and he told me engineers told him pump runs at 100% 24/7 which is expected and the way to go otherwise pump would last 3 times as less as it does now.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have changed them to Noctua NF A12x25's.

The headers Sapphire uses are ARGB so I guess any ARGB fans would fit in there. I have mine plugged onto the motherboard and controlled via BIOS curve so it doesn't bother me because NF A12x25s at 1300 RPM are enough to cool 400W on this card at very low and inaudible noise levels.

About the pump, you cannot control it. I spoke with Sapphire_Edd and he told me engineers told him pump runs at 100% 24/7 which is expected and the way to go otherwise pump would last 3 times as less as it does now.
I hope the pump lasts a long time.

I had to take my Toxic apart as i noticed the Delta between Edge and Junction started going to 30c + when overclocked.

When i opened it up i discovered that the thermal paste was drier that one of Ghandi's flip flops.

I've ordered some Thermal Grizzly and will re-paste it.

For now i just had to try and use the old dry paste and spread it as best as possible, even though it does not spread its that dry.

Nonetheless this dropped 5c off the 30c Delta which has given me hope that a proper re-paste will improve results further.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Before applying thermal paste on GPU dies I like to heat the paste a bit by putting it inside cellophane and then inside a cup of very hot water.
It makes the paste much more liquid and maleable making for a perfect application.

Regarding delta between edge and junction, mine's about 15C and 20C depending on the load at 22-24C ambient.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well been trying to break 23k timespy graphics score and just can't. I see my hotapot going over 74 degrees and card core clocks down. Using mpt I cut the voltage from 1.2 to 1.175 to help with Temps without much change. Thought maybe change fans on radiator would help. Ram at 2150. I can't do tight timings on ram at anything above 2000 on ram. Wondering if I need to reapply paste on core.

Delta is between 25 and 35 degrees from edge to Hotspot.

Best graphic score so far is 22,968.

Just noticed 2 sticks on 2 of the waterblock screws on backside. If I were to repaste do I lose warranty?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes I saw the drama involving that game. Looks like a few 3090's are not up to the task of the high menu FPS. Same could probably happen to AMD GPUs if peeps are running a silly high power limit tbf. Not a game I am interested in thankfully.
Very Odd!

In COD BO CW I see 900-1000+ FPS during menu change black screens.

My Red Devil 6900XT (3 plug) has always made the low-pitched garbled sound once under load in game.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey gang!

Finally disassembled the custom loop, and of course spilled accidentally water on mobo, so I have to let the parts dry 48hrs before turning this thing on. I had power off for 130 minutes before the spill, but had actually PSU cables attached to the mobo (PSU not connected on the wall), so I wonder if I shorted something. I shall see. At least I took 6900xt out of it before that, so that’s saved. I’m sure the PC is fine anyway. I’m such a f-up with this stuff, but I love it!

Meanwhile, I took photos of the GPU waterblock mount and it’s quite easy to see why the temps were spiking. It was a bad mount, and probably too little thermal paste, unevenly spread.

One thing I noticed on the PCB is that it has pre-attached black washers (see last pic, a bit hard to see but there’s 4x of them) around the X pattern screwholes. As per the instructions, I put on top of that the waterblock washers. There are three screws which do not have those black washers. I wonder, should I only use three washers, because the black attached washers add height? Or perhaps I should try and remove the black pre-installed washers? Advice would be much appreciated!

Another thing you may notice is that there’s one tiny thermal pad on the backside (pic 3) which seemed to get extra pressure compared to other pads, I do wonder if the height is also correct or not. The guide was for 6800xt, although the block is designed for both cards (and has room for three pins, this is common knowledge and their website says the same thing.)

What do you guys think!
Had same mount problem with ekwb, both stock and hydronaut squeeze out after a while causing spiking temps. Now im on much thicker kryonaut will observe, but so far it holds fine after a month.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Before applying thermal paste on GPU dies I like to heat the paste a bit by putting it inside cellophane and then inside a cup of very hot water.
It makes the paste much more liquid and maleable making for a perfect application.

Regarding delta between edge and junction, mine's about 15C and 20C depending on the load at 22-24C ambient.
I just repasted mine and quite happy with the results.

Before pasting running Timespy at 375-425W i would see a delta of 30c between edge and junction.

After trying to spread the old paste that reduced the delta to around 25c.

With a fresh application of Kryonaut, that delta is now 19-20c at 375/425W.

Not sure it can get too much better than that tbh. Heart in mouth time waiting for it to power up a-okay and then check temps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Had same mount problem with ekwb, both stock and hydronaut squeeze out after a while causing spiking temps. Now im on much thicker kryonaut will observe, but so far it holds fine after a month.
Oh I almost bought Kryonaut, but as everyone recommended I went for Hydronaut again. I thought I had some, but I used it up for the CPU. I think I will just add a whole lot more of it, and I have to think if I will use only three washers, or all seven, because the X screwholes already have three pre-installed.

I also have the issue of spilling 1.5 month old corsair coolant from the loop on the motherboard’s Vram and capacitators (maybe two small spoonfuls), but I soaked the spots with 99% IPA and put under natural sun after it evaporared. I should probably take the whole mobo out to hang it upside down, but I gave it the electric air duster treatment and could not at least see any moving water anywhere. Just in case, I’ll let it rest 72hrs and hope the water evaporates. I’m sure the mobo is fine because the PC wasn’t hooked up, but just in case.

Watercooling is lovely! You get to wait three days and, while at it, can go in the nature, watch movies, and read books!

Meanwhile, I’m going to wait opinions on the 6900xt waterblock reassembly, washer usage and paste application based on the photos before I put it together. The GPU is waiting on my desk, but I want to hear the smart people’s opinion here. I have three days before I start soloing again.

If I was working and this happened, I’d be stressed out of my mind, but am on a holiday this is just about switching gears… ha!

·
Registered
458 Posts
That's a very impressive graphics score for an XTX.

Did you figure out the magical tweaks using MPT 4?
I did figure out some stuff but It only led me to 23700 Graphic Score.
For these runs I'm using an EVC2SX and I'm adding a Vcore offset.

2481 - 2500 of 3625 Posts