Overclock.net banner
4041 - 4060 of 4492 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
47,793 Posts
This is my run at 25.7K points:

Clock frequency 2,859 MHz (2,255 MHz)
Average clock frequency 2,814 MHz
Memory clock frequency 2,110 MHz (2,000 MHz)
Average memory clock frequency 2,098 MHz

Your run at 26K

Clock frequency 2,867 MHz (2,350 MHz)
Average clock frequency 2,786 MHz
Memory clock frequency 2,420 MHz (2,312 MHz)
Average memory clock frequency 2,371 MHz

Other top Referece LC score

Clock frequency 2,795 MHz (2,400 MHz)
Average clock frequency 2,766 MHz
Memory clock frequency 2,408 MHz (2,312 MHz)
Average memory clock frequency 2,395 MHz

Other top Reference LC score

Clock frequency 2,805 MHz (2,400 MHz)
Average clock frequency 2,764 MHz
Memory clock frequency 2,400 MHz (2,312 MHz)
Average memory clock frequency 2,370 MHz

Do you see the similarities? The only variable that changes is the memory clock speed and the timings, core wise, I'm the fastest.

There are other trade secrets to get to 26K. Also your memory is lower than what other XTXH with 16Gbps can achieve. I have seen some get 2170MHz.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would like to know them too.

I have found a real world example of my findings with Timespy. The more I crank the memory speed up the slower my FPS in Horizon Zero Dawn. I don’t know why that would be. I’m working under the principle now of increasing the core now if I can and only increasing the bandwidth of the bandwidth is insufficient for the core speed. I’ll try to make a recording to demonstrate my findings sometime this evening.

·
PC Evangelist
47,793 Posts
I would like to know them too.

I have found a real world example of my findings with Timespy. The more I crank the memory speed up the slower my FPS in Horizon Zero Dawn. I don’t know why that would be. I’m working under the principle now of increasing the core now if I can and only increasing the bandwidth of the bandwidth is insufficient for the core speed. I’ll try to make a recording to demonstrate my findings sometime this evening.
If you see perf decrease in games it just means EDC is kicking in. Your ram is not stable. This is same with Nvidia GPUs. The higher the EDC the lower the perf. It is usually fine for a fast benchmark run to run more aggressive memory clocks. Fire Strike Extreme is a good tool to use for memory stability.

What are these trade secrets? We're all friends here and in some cases, lovers! 🤠
A bunch of random stuff that even I dont know how I got there lol.
Windows Registry, Display Resolutions, Disabling features, CPU/RAM Tuning.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you see perf decrease in games it just means EDC is kicking in. Your ram is not stable. This is same with Nvidia GPUs. The higher the EDC the lower the perf. It is usually fine for a fast benchmark run to run more aggressive memory clocks. Fire Strike Extreme is a good tool to use for memory stability.

A bunch of random stuff that even I dont know how I got there lol.
Windows Registry, Display Resolutions, Disabling features, CPU/RAM Tuning.
That makes sense. I guess I found the sweet spot for memory disappointingly low. I'm wondering if it would be better for me to go to normal timings and try for a faster speed to see if that would give me more bandwidth while remaining stable.

·
More Vcore
1,596 Posts
Those of you with waterblocks on your cards, what are you seeing for temperature deltas between your gpu and your fluid?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Those of you with waterblocks on your cards, what are you seeing for temperature deltas between your gpu and your fluid?
The delta is about 23C between the fluid temperature and the junction and 11C between the fluid and the GPU core in the fluid directly after the GPU in the loop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Currently running an OEM blocked XFX Zero, that's fresh off the production release line. Delta is about 24c at 350-370w MPT, 30c at 400w+. GPU Edge is 50c at up to 350w, 54c at 400w+. Fluid holds well at 31c under max load, but I have an insane radiator setup.

·
Registered
496 Posts
There are other trade secrets to get to 26K. Also your memory is lower than what other XTXH with 16Gbps can achieve. I have seen some get 2170MHz.
My card isn't a XTXH it's a Toxic LE aka XTX.

Unless people are cheating the benchmark with non MPT related tweaks, which I don't condone because it makes it unfair and stupid, I have already shared all the tweaks I've found helped my scores bar one, which I won't share for the time being because it's actually not acessible to most people here and is hardware related.

All of them are on 1 or 2 comments on this thread anyway for everyone to see.

I stand by my point, LC reference cards are carried by memory and it's extra stability vs all the other cards running at 16Gbps.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Font Screenshot Technology Multimedia Software

All of these cards, except mine are Reference LC cards.
LIME's card isn't a ref LC but it has it's bios and is hardware modded (150+ caps on the memory and other stuff he hasn't disclosed).

·
PC Evangelist
47,793 Posts
View attachment 2528499

All of these cards, except mine are Reference LC cards.
LIME's card isn't a ref LC but it has it's bios and is hardware modded (150+ caps on the memory and other stuff he hasn't disclosed).
I bet If I did any hw related mod I would be even higher.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What are these trade secrets? We're all friends here and in some cases, lovers! 🤠
Who loves who! I want to know all the rumors and drama on overclock's 6900xt threads!!

Anyone else noticed that performance increases with AMD drivers have stopped since June, and we only have had stability upgrades and features for months? The list of issues is becoming short. I wonder if they will try and squeeze more performance and do optimizations moving forward. That's what happened with 5700x driver cycles as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Currently running an OEM blocked XFX Zero, that's fresh off the production release line. Delta is about 24c at 350-370w MPT, 30c at 400w+. GPU Edge is 50c at up to 350w, 54c at 400w+. Fluid holds well at 31c under max load, but I have an insane radiator setup.
I have actually very similar temps on my Red Devil 6900xt (non-ultimate). Radiator set up is 240mm and 360mm for both cpu and gpu, hydro x series with xd3 pump/reservoir combo.

Out of interest, do you guys do maintenance on your systems every 6 months? I'm thinking that just dusting the radiators and fans with my compressed air electronics friendly duster, and inspecting the system once in 6 months should be enough, and draining it every 9-12 months should be enough. It's such a hassle and I'm super busy with work, weekends disappear with activities and family...

·
Invalid Media
4,983 Posts
The results achieved here by several folks are stunning, no matter what.
On the topic of VRAM, both serious tests by tech sites as well as my own comparison between the 3090 and 6900 XT suggest that up to 1440 rez, the much narrower memory bandwidth of the 6900XT doesn't matter as much (perhaps due to InfinityCache), but at 4K, it most certainly does (see GPUz below). Also, the two GPUs have different die designs, memory types etc so some head--to-head comparisons based on only one parameter such as MHz limp a bit.

The obvious tip would be to cool your cards as best you can and find the highest VRAM settings ('most efficient') before scores go down at a fixed GPU speed. It is worth repeating that on my 6900XT, I'm leaving about 110Mhz or so VRAM speed on the table due to artificial restrictions on the 'non-H' chip, even w/ fast timings. While the 6900XT is my 'daily work' machine (more so than the 3090), I still would like to run it at its full 24/7 potential.

Font Communication Device Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia

·
PC Evangelist
47,793 Posts
The results achieved here by several folks are stunning, no matter what.
On the topic of VRAM, both serious tests by tech sites as well as my own comparison between the 3090 and 6900 XT suggest that up to 1440 rez, the much narrower memory bandwidth of the 6900XT doesn't matter as much (perhaps due to InfinityCache), but at 4K, it most certainly does (see GPUz below). Also, the two GPUs have different die designs, memory types etc so some head--to-head comparisons based on only one parameter such as MHz limp a bit.

The obvious tip would be to cool your cards as best you can and find the highest VRAM settings ('most efficient') before scores go down at a fixed GPU speed. It is worth repeating that on my 6900XT, I'm leaving about 110Mhz or so VRAM speed on the table due to artificial restrictions on the 'non-H' chip, even w/ fast timings. While the 6900XT is my 'daily work' machine (more so than the 3090), I still would like to run it at its full 24/7 potential.

View attachment 2528506
Nvidia doing better at 4K is not because of memory bandwidth. It because they have more shader power and its easier to utilize at 4K. Just look at something like 3070 vs 6700 XT. Its much much smaller difference 14Gbps 256-Bit vs 16Gbps 192-Bit + the fast Infinity Cache and yet at 4K the lead increases as long as 3070 does not run out of vRAM. Also 6900 XT would have not scales that well at 4K vs something like 6800 which has same memory subsystem. The case with Nvidia doing better at 4K is not because AMD is not scaling better at 4K, its Nvidia scaling worse at 1080p/1440p.

·
Invalid Media
4,983 Posts
...well, we can agree / disagree, as much as I already mentioned that it typically comes down to more than just one parameter, and different die designs. That said, my own tests on my 6900XT suggest that the higher the VRAM, the better the results at the same max GPU clocks, until I hit an artificially (non-H) imposed limit. So when it gets to VRAM, I do wonder what a 6900XT could really do with a no-artificial limit GDDR6X and a 384 bit bus, which is 50% bigger than the current one - and that is a compliment of sorts for BigNavi. InfinityCache certainly helps, but its limited size kicks in sooner or later, depending on app.

Ed.: While artificial VRAM clock limitation and overall memory design limits are two different things, both ultimately limit available bandwidth. Also, my 2x 2080 Tis from three years ago with an official 14 gbps GDDR6 VRAM are overclocked to an efficiency peak of 2060+ MHz (in SLI btw), which exceeds the default 6900XT VRAM speed and isn't too far off the 2150 limit I like to hate...and even before a 50% wider bus, GDDR6X itself provides another big boost over GDDR6. I simply think that a.) these limitations start to show at 4K and b.) the 6900XT has a lot more potential than we're currently getting, though it would mean much more heat and $$s.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have actually very similar temps on my Red Devil 6900xt (non-ultimate). Radiator set up is 240mm and 360mm for both cpu and gpu, hydro x series with xd3 pump/reservoir combo.

Out of interest, do you guys do maintenance on your systems every 6 months? I'm thinking that just dusting the radiators and fans with my compressed air electronics friendly duster, and inspecting the system once in 6 months should be enough, and draining it every 9-12 months should be enough. It's such a hassle and I'm super busy with work, weekends disappear with activities and family...
I literally dust mine out every few days lol. But I don't plan on flushing my loop until another 6 months or so.

·
Invalid Media
4,983 Posts

I dust the rads and clean the fans every 9 months or so; also depends if you have pets etc. Regarding the loop internals, I recently opened a complex dual-loop (5x rads, 5x D5s) I completed in late 2018 and everything was still pristine. That said, the clear acrylic reservoirs and w-blocks with sight-access to the micro-fins made regular checking easy, along with noting any changes in delta temps and also changes in the colour and clarity (there weren't any).

Normally, I change liquids more often than 2.5+ years, but it depends if there's any deterioration. I am also paranoid when building up a loop (final flushes w/ deionized water; not touching any internal bits with my fingers w/o gloves, wearing a mask and of course good quality liquids).

Re. topping up a reservoir, as others already mentioned, liquids in a soft-tubing build tend to evaporate a bit. I noticed though that if you let the liquid in the reservoir settle at a slightly lower level, the evaporation slows down significantly, presumably related to changes in pressure.

4041 - 4060 of 4492 Posts